Lesson 1 - Official topic

This is a wiki post - feel free to edit to add links from the lesson or other useful info.

Lesson resources

Links from the lesson

Making Masks and Hygiene Tips

How to make reusable masks and WHO hand sanitizer recipes - contact @Moody or add comments in (Masks for covid-19)

Discussion

Please use this topic to ask any question about the course (even if you think they are stupid, we really love stupid questions). Note that this is the beginners topic, so if you have already followed the course and your question/intervention is more advanced, please use the non-beginner discussion topic.

Questions with lots of likes will be asked live by Rachel. If you see a question you’d really like to be answered, click on the heart under it to like it. Don’t post duplicate questions if possible. They will be removed by the moderators (don’t be mad if this happens to you, it’s nothing personal). If your question is not answered during the course, it will be answered on this topic, either tonight or tomorrow.

This topic will be very crowded, so please refrain from getting too much off track (create another topic for this) and please like the post of someone who replied to you instead of replying with thank you.

Notes

66 Likes

Starter Colab notebook I created

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1ao9E-yVfTt5TzTKmnjrVQqi5rphZMYFb

18 Likes

This is the best therapy for people like us, during these times. Coming together to learn from an amazing group. Thank you Jeremy and Rachel and Sgugger for doing this!

38 Likes

Translation of Jeremy and Rachel’s blog in Hindi

7 Likes

Here is the link to the post:

26 Likes

In Italy there are sixty (60) million people in lock down. The whole country is…unfortunately

1 Like

Jeremy, Rachel, and Sylvain - thank you for your incredibly thoughtful and hard work, and for acknowledging the situation we all find ourselves in. The kind words, reassurance, and humility are very much appreciated.

Really excited to get to know this community better!

21 Likes

Thanks so much for making this post. “Flatten the Curve” is the best example of Data Science storytelling that we’ve ever seen- I think it’s worth examining why this post and the general message of “Flatten the Curve” have been so successful at communicating.

5 Likes

would it be a good idea to cluster study groups based on topic and not location? we all are technically in one virtual space…

5 Likes

It depends if you plan to run for a few hours here and there or most of the day. From first experience working remotely with fast.ai, being in the same-ish time zone is really important to be as efficient as possible.

5 Likes

Request: I know the course will become a MOOC later, but if possible, please make the CO-VID 19 part of the discussion public.

16 Likes

The COVID-19 slides have references from the sources of the data?

1 Like

I’ve added the link to the study of the imperial college Jeremy is mentioning at the top.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Anybody in US looking for a test kit, can order from here --> https://en.wondfo.com.cn/product/wondfo-sars-cov-2-antibody-test-lateral-flow-method-2/
Seems to be approved test kit in China now. Source: Twittter

2 Likes

What’s the significance of the 33% daily increase line? Does it indicate stage of spread (contact vs community for example)?

1 Like

Re Jeremy’s comment on “masks” in South Korea - do Jeremy and Jessica have thoughts on whether they are effective based on the data? (eg surgeon general says no, Michigan study says yes)

I think it’s mostly a regression form the Italy case, but I could be wrong.

It seems like number of deaths is not the right metric to compare countries by? Shouldn’t it be # of deaths / population or something normalized like that? E.g. how can we compare a small country like Netherlands with 17M pop vs US with 300M pop?

1 Like