Lesson 1 - Official topic

I believe that masks are effective and liked this article by Zeynep Tufekci on the topic:

11 Likes

Any tables with death percentages from age and sex joint ?

1 Like

Does R0 account for # of infections already transmitted in a population (who aren’t new cases)?

R0 is context dependent and can change depending on culture, measures taken, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, R0 is simply “on average each infected person will infect R0 new people”

1 Like

The comparison of St. Louis and Philadelphia during the 1918 flu that Jeremy referenced. Credit to The Washington Post.

7 Likes

Request 2: Should we hold the discussion for CO-VID in thread different, to keep it separate from the lesson discussions?

2 Likes

The National Institutes of Health posted informative results from a study earlier today: New coronavirus stable for hours on surfaces

1 Like

It is part of the lesson, so it should be there, I believe.

5 Likes

I lived through SARS in Hong Kong back in 2003. I believe wearing masks help. I wrote this document on how to make it plus lots of hygiene tips. There is an deep learning element in it if we want to customize it. Especially, for the minority who have facial distortion.

12 Likes

What are you using to disinfect packages etc. that you are bringing back into your home?

I think gloves are more important than masks. It is unlikely an infected person will sneeze on your face but it is very likely that you make come in contact with a surface touched by an infected person.
Washing hands and not touching face is most important alongwith social distancing.

2 Likes

if you are infected and don’t know it, the mask keeps you from spreading it further. they are both important imho

5 Likes

Are we capable of producing enough masks quickly enough?

1 Like

I agree that masks and gloves are both important and useful.

3 Likes

Disinfectant spray https://www.dettol.com.hk/en/products/disinfectant-spray/

2 Likes

Is it possible to work and form Study Group around COVID-19? it would be great to help.

5 Likes

In this document, there is a procedure to show you how to 3D print reusable mask molds (3 sizes) and then make masks by use vacuum former with food grade materials.

I also added WHO recommended formulas to make hand sanitizer plus lots of hygiene tips. Check it out.

5 Likes

How Soap Helps

7 Likes

Here is the tweet with the table of cleaning agents:

9 Likes