This is a wiki post for discussing creating and sourcing masks. Please add resources, information about sourcing supplies, requests for help, offers of help, or anything else that might be useful.
Home made masks
- how to make your own mask with no sewing by Jeremy Howard #masks4all
- From a t-shirt with no sewing (in Czech, but easy to understand from pics)
- DIY: Kitchen towel mask with a face shield: DIY at home with NO special equipment. But, don’t panic buy!
- 3D-printable face shield - files
- Using a t-shirt as a ninja mask (this actually might work OK! Just make sure it’s 100% cotton if you can)
- Face mask sewing pattern and tutorial: includes printable templates for different mask sizes (kids, teenage, women, men)
- A face mask has passed the N95 test - interview - how to make it
- Sewing Masks (DIY for Hospitals, Institutions, or Yourself) Instructions on making masks, collected by the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI)
- Reusable 3D-printed face mask Prototype for a durable, lightweight, reusable face mask by Rowan University engineering and medical students
- Fix the Mask - improve fit factor when wearing a non-N95 mask
- Please add more links here with your favorite methods!
- Saving The Mask: requires surgical masks and specialist machinery, but creates “real” reusable masks for hospitals, with a good seal (from @moody)
- Suggestions based on Cambridge University analysis of effectiveness (Dish Towel can filter 63%!)
- How to make a Face Mask from Deaconess Health System; basic cotton mask, requiring some sewing
- How to make a Face Mask with replaceable filter requiring some sewing
- DIY “Mask Filters” with HEPA Fabric
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Facemasks from the CDC
- The 100 million mask challenge from Providence Health & Services
- Calling All People Who Sew And Make: You Can Help Solve 2020 N95-Type Mask Shortage: links to many resources
- Project for 3D printing reusable mask with replaceable filter material
- Curating research into mask effectiveness
- Sterilization of disposable face masks by means of dry and steam sterilization processes
- Instructions on disinfecting N95 for re-use, and research showing how disinfection by UV affects N95’s performance – it works but the # of cycles varies, and is limited.
- 3D printing material: plastic water bottles (just recycle them)
- Best Materials Make DIY Face Masks
Offers of help
Requests for help
COVID-19 symptoms and patients’ experience
Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks published by Nature Medicine on 3 April 2020