Part 1, online study group

Hi everyone! I just started Part 1 and looking for online study buddies to have weekly conversations. Is anyone up? :slightly_smiling_face:

There is now a regular meetup every Sunday at 4PM GMT ( 9AM PST = 9:30PM IST = 12PM EST). We are all beginners motivating each other to progress through the classes. During each meetup, one person is responsible for the lesson’s recap and everyone else presents own project/progress. We heavily focus on learning by doing projects, explaining things in a simple language and discussions.

:robot: :robot: :robot: We have finished Part 1 Practical Deep Learning for Coders. However, the study group is active and currently focusing on fastaiv2 2020

===
Scheduled meetups:
:white_check_mark: March 15, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 7.2 @Tendo
:white_check_mark: March 8, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 7.1 @Tendo
:white_check_mark: March 1, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 6 - How CNN works & Data Augmentation by @msivanes Colab
:white_check_mark: Feb 23, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 5.2 @gagan
:white_check_mark: Feb 16, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 5.1 @gagan Quiz / Meeting Notes / Recording / Gradient Descent / Minimal NN from scratch
:white_check_mark: Feb 9, 2020 :arrow_forward: Project showcase & discussions Facilitator: @gagan
:white_check_mark: Feb 2, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 4: Collaborative filtering and tabular data @Tendo Meeting Minutes
:white_check_mark: Jan 26, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 4: NLP @Tendo Meeting Minutes
:white_check_mark: Jan 18, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 3 @gagan Meeting minutes Recording
:white_check_mark: Jan 11, 2020 :arrow_forward: Lesson 2 @gagan Meeting minutes
:white_check_mark: Jan 4, 2020 Meeting Minutes
:christmas_tree: Dec 28, 2019 Break for holidays
:white_check_mark: Dec 21, 2019 Meeting Minutes
:white_check_mark:Dec 14, 2019 Meeting Minutes
:white_check_mark:Dec 7, 2019
:white_check_mark:Nov 30, 2019
:white_check_mark:Nov 23, 2019
:white_check_mark:Nov 17, 2019
:white_check_mark:Nov 9, 2019

Organisation. This thread is our main communication channel. There is also an open slack channel for discussions regarding the projects and chit chats.

I have not done any project/lesson yet, is it a right meetup for me? Absolutely yes. Just ask a lot of questions during the meetup so you can headstart with fast.ai classes. Your questions will be welcome by a presenter as well, since we all learn by explaining. Hopefully, you will also get the motivation to start your own project :smiley:

Is it fine if I am a bit behind with lessons? Sure, as during the meetup you will get a glimpse of what is awaiting you in future lessons. Also, we would love to hear your learnings from older lessons or personal projects in the second half of the meetup.

I haven’t done anything this week … Sometimes life just happens. We are here to motivate each other and support, so no blaming and no feeling guilty :slightly_smiling_face:. You can still learn things by participating in discussions :grinning:

11 Likes

Hi! I am interested in the weekly virtual meetups.

1 Like

Hi I’m also interested on a weekly virtual meetups

1 Like

Definitely in for discussions, what’s the plan?

1 Like

Hi guys, I send you a slack invitation :slightly_smiling_face:

I could use a refresher on Part 1 - can I get included?

1 Like

I’d like an invite too please. thanks

1 Like

I’d like to join. Can you please add me in the discussion.

1 Like

Hey, I’d like an invite too!

1 Like

Great to see so many enthusiastic people! :tada: I sent you a slack invitation.

Hi, I would love to join the virtual study group too.

1 Like

Hi, I would also like to join.

1 Like

Hi, I hope I’m not 2 late. I would also like to join!

1 Like

Thoughts on having our first meetup be more social/introductions than lesson focus? I’d love to share a pint or non-alcoholic beverage and get to know you all.

1 Like

Hi, I’d like an invite too please! Thanks for organising this.

2 Likes

Of course, I sent slack invitation. :slightly_smiling_face: We are planning to have next meetup this Sunday at 10 am GMT.

Hello, I’d be interested as well!

2 Likes

Hello, I’d be interested to have weekly online meetups! though the time for me this Sunday is at 5 am in my part of the world…

2 Likes

There are a lot of new people this week, so let’s see how it will work. We will be adjusting the timing for future meetups so it will fit everyone. :slightly_smiling_face: Also we are covering several lessons per meetup, including older ones, so it is never late to join. I sent you a slack invitation.

2 Likes

Small update on meetups.

So today we had the meetup and discussed a project for L1, L2 and got an introduction to L3. We talked about the precision and recall, finding a better learning rate, multi-class classification and masking for segmentation.

We also talked about the group project and decided to brainstorm problems during the coming week. As a guideline, we are looking into “UN Sustainable Development Goals” and searching for problems that would benefit our community/humanity The ideas will be discussed in the slack channel. In the next meetup, we will focus on L1, L2, L3/L4 and make a decision regarding a group project.

If you haven’t joined yet, feel free to join. You will not be late and we will cover older lessons :grinning: