General course chat

I’m working on the camvid notebook for lesson 3, and would like to try segmentation with another dataset. Up to this point, I’ve only used the method in lesson 2 with google images.

I see in the notebook, it’s looking for URLs.CAMVID. Where is that stored in the notebook, and if I were to download another dataset, is there a tutorial for how to upload it so I can access that in the same way?

URLs. CAMVID is just the variable for a link to a download for the CamVid data set. Untar_data just fetches the file and then untar’s it locally so you can access the data.

If you want to try things out on a different dataset you will need to download a dataset to your practice environment and then use the same methods he uses to put the data into a DataBunch and add the masks.

I just did a quick search but here is a list of other image segmentation datasets, although they all appear to be the same type of data as the CamVid stuff.
(https://blog.playment.io/self-driving-car-datasets-semantic-segmentation/)

1 Like

It is not a course with a capstone… You learn what they teach and try to apply it to an area you already know a lot about. You should then spread the news in your industry. Or you practice a lot of past kaggle competitions.

1 Like

After the model is trained, its output is always one of the pre-defined categories. Wondering how the model can generate an “I don’t know output”. For example if we give it a picture of chicken or fish (while the model is trained to give us the cat/dog breeds), it could generate an output saying that it cannot find a suitable category among the predefined ones rather than giving us a wrong dog/cat type.
Or perhaps we should train the model differently. Appreciate some help on this.

Hi everyone! Slowly but surely making my way through the course. If anyone has any other areas that I can chat with people, let me know! Trying to find my AI/DL tribe!

try this one: Part 1, online study group

and there are other active study groups, just search in the forum. Good luck!

Oh awesome! Thanks Christian!

Fastai mainly focuses on deep learning and neural nets. Is it possible to use Fast.ai API for other ML methods such SVM, K-means, SGboost, etc?

Thanks fast.ai (@sgugger, @rachel, @jeremy) for your work on these lectures (and the library of course). Just wrapped up Part 1 of the course and my notes are here: https://sites.google.com/view/raybellwaves/courses/fast-ai

Heya I’m an enterprise sales rep interested in ML. I’ve never done any coding, and I’m wondering: what is the best way to get the 1 year required experience for Fast.ai?

Thanks!

Hi Jeremy/all,

I would like to what’s the average training time for the course projects and whether it would be necessary to use TPUs?

I am working to collect a list of projects that suffer from long training times and technique toward accelerating them.

Best,
Mahdi

Hi WeWalk hope you are well!

The above link has many free tutorials. If I were in your position I would complete two of the tutorials/courses typing in the code by hand absolutely no cutting and pasting. I would especially choose a course that has a web part where you deploy an app online.
Once I have competed the above I would create my own app and deploy it using GitHub and Docker.
When all the above was complete I would start the fastai course.

Jeremy recommends typing all the notebooks by hand when you start and checking how much you can remember especially the main stages.

One of the many people who inspire me on this site is the person who wrote this post. How do you... learn? (and study)
His output is prolific.

If you do most of the above I am sure you will find the whole course/journey inspiring.

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley::smiley:

Hi Everyone,

I just needed a clarification on how we should run our jupyter notebook when we have a bigproject, for example currently I have to run my code again from the beginning each time I start the notebook.
I am currently at the lesson 2 and trying with my own dataset, I have been working on it for a few days, but everytime I need to start from beginning like downloading the urls. Is there any thing that I can do about this?

I am new in deep learning, hope I come out better from this course!
Happy new year everyone!

I am so pumped up right now after listening to first lecture. I have couple projects in my mind. Wish me good luck to make it happen.
love u

be consistent man. sure you will do

Hi pratikw hope all is well!
I am sure that if you follow Jeremie’s advice and type in everything by hand, experiment and get to lesson 8 you will come out better.

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley::smiley:

Hi ,

Is there any difference in topics covered in v2 and v3. I initially took Andrew Ng Deep Learning course now looking to take the course in Fast ai and confused between v2 and v3. Digging deep I found topics like Darknet covered in v2 which I am more interested in, I am planning to do a project which requires YOLO algorithm for realime detection.

Everyone seems to advice to take Practical Deep Learning for Coders 2019 first.
Does v3 covers topics related to realtime object detection??

1 Like

I couldn’t find the option to create topic so,i am publishing my doubt here,folks

While implementing a Neural Network on a tabular data,i m facing this error in learn.predict function

KeyError Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
2896 try:
-> 2897 return self._engine.get_loc(key)
2898 except KeyError:

pandas/_libs/index.pyx in pandas._libs.index.IndexEngine.get_loc()

pandas/_libs/hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

pandas/_libs/hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

KeyError: ‘Review’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

KeyError Traceback (most recent call last)
10 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
2897 return self._engine.get_loc(key)
2898 except KeyError:
-> 2899 return self._engine.get_loc(self._maybe_cast_indexer(key))
2900 indexer = self.get_indexer([key], method=method, tolerance=tolerance)
2901 if indexer.ndim > 1 or indexer.size > 1:

KeyError: ‘Review’

Can somebody help me out?

what is callback? why are there so many different callbacks ? how to use them?