Google Sheets versions of spreadsheets

With many thanks to @Moody, we now have Google Sheets versions of the spreadsheets used in the course. Here they are:

Note that you can click File–>Make a copy to get an editable version in your own Google Drive.

If you see any problems with the sheets or have any ideas for improvements, let us know!
The graddesc version needs some kind person to write macros to make them work the same way as the Excel version - if you manage to get this working, please request edit access on the doc so I can let you edit it to add this functionality.

12 Likes

Hi @Moody, thanks for your Google Sheets but how to run them ? (for example, where is the solver showed by @jeremy in the lesson 5 for the collab_filter.xlsx ?)

1 Like

More detailed instructions from below thread.

2 Likes

Thank you @Moody, but it does not help :frowning:

I did install the solver package in your collab-filter google file but I could not make it work like @jeremy in the lesson 5 video (Using Excel solver for Gradient Descent ‘GRG Nonlinear’).

Any advice ? Thank you.

The solver package you used does not had good review. Please try Open Solver (in the YouTube demo, it allows setting constrains and conditions.) Let me know if this helps. :blush:

1 Like

Yes but I do not see where I can choose the Gradient Descent in this Open Solver (screen capture below) ?
A YouTube video on how you use it in the case of the collab-filter file would be great :slight_smile:

It works in Solver. The setup is highlighted at the right hand side. Once it is done, click “solve”.

Note: Due to the free licence restriction, it is capped with 100 variables. So, I need to make a copy for this cut down version (Google Sheet updated as well). But, the concept are the same. If you can write GRG in JavaScript and publish to Google Services as a script, you might be able to get around this limitation.

If you can invest in MS Excel, I am happy to share other cool stuffs with you (such as WGAN, Cycle GAN). Using MS Excel can really help me to understand the complex concept and math behind them.

3 Likes

You are great @Moody !

I just tried Solver and did work. :slight_smile: Many thanks.

As I use Fastai to teach Deep Learning in Brasilia, I would like to use the Excel files of @jeremy to show concretely how DL works. And, clearly, it is better to invest into MS Excel… but I don’t want. I think this goes against the philosophy of the Fastai course (the fact to use private software to do DL) because Fastai means democratization of DL.

1 Like

You are welcome. :blush:

BTW, the investment in MS Excel is a suggestion only. If you want to modify other Google Sheet to fit into 100 variables limitation. Please PM me your email. I can grant you an admin right to modify them (by creating extra tabs for cut down versions).

Will they not work on the free, online version of MS Excel in Office365?