Share your work here ✅

Update on this. I made some modifications to the model and deployed it to AWS. The main thing I changed about the model was the dataset used. It turns out when you train an image generation model on images of pets, it starts to make everything look a little furry. Instead I used a subset of the Open Images dataset.

I got the model up and running on AWS. @pankymathur’s code was helpful in figuring out returning an image. Although I still manage the process by saving the model output as an image and serving it with html, which I am not sure is optimal. I’m planning on doing a write up of the whole process at some point.

Anyway you can check out the web app here:

http://www.deepenhance.im/

4 Likes

I made a couple of text generators following the model of lesson 3 IMDB – one is trained on the complete works of Jane Austen and the other on Trump’s tweets from 2009-2018. :stuck_out_tongue: They are both online, the first at https://deepjane.now.sh/ and the second at https://deepdonald.appspot.com/. The second is powered by Google App Engine. In case it helps anyone in the future, I had a lot of trouble getting the app working on GAE (I ran into errors even with the starter code) but ended up able to deploy successfully after building the Docker image locally (and trying over and over a bunch of times).

They are also on twitter! Jane is @AutoAusten and Donald is @RNN_DonaldTrump. They tweet periodically by themselves, but you can also @ message them a few words and they’ll (hopefully) respond with a tweet beginning with your message. If you try them and don’t get a response, please let me know! I’ve been working out the bugs but fear there are still some lurking around.

Currently working on a Medium post about the experience. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Create an infinity of images to train your Neural Networks :slight_smile:
My article on “Data Augmentation by fastai v1”. All comments welcome! Thanks.

3 Likes

Good one Karl, just tried uploading few thumbnails and output resolution images were great, IMHO App and website look great :slight_smile: . you can surely enhance and optimize it in future, depending upon traffic and heavy production loads, so keep up the good work

I trained a facial attribute multi-label classification model which finds 40 attributes using CelebA dataset. I have also used OpenCV to combine it with the webcam for live detection. The code is on Github.
I also wrote a blog on medium - https://towardsdatascience.com/real-time-multi-facial-attribute-detection-using-transfer-learning-and-haar-cascades-with-fastai-47ff59e36df0

Check the output -

I did an object detection problem that finds the center of a phone in an image using Fastai v1 and the Datablock api. The link to it on my github is here.

One of the challenges I had was making a custom collate function for single image points, as Fastai only has one function for bboxes in the vision library. Having it work though made a huge difference in my accuracy as I only had ~115 images to work with.

4 Likes

I made a basic snake classifier as a small project. The first and only goal of the initial part was to prove if it could readily distinguish between a very common confusion of copperhead (venomous) and corn snake (harmless). Result was it could do so rather easily and got to 100% quickly with all three models (resnet, vgg, etc). I wrote an article on it to help promote FastAI here:

Now I’m working on adding a number of other snakes (garter, rattlesnake, etc) to try and expand it into a fuller snake classifier where people could just easily upload a photo and get a classification for most snakes in the US and ideally other countries over time.

2 Likes

Did you check the image regression (keypoints) lesson notebook? IIRC I had something there that was doing single image points and worked OK…

I was using the lesson3-head-pose notebook on the BIWI data set as a reference; I don’t think I’ve seen the notebook you’re referencing. Is from the old Part 2 course? I didn’t see anything in the docs either about a collate function for Image Points so I just assumed it hadn’t been done before in any of the lessons.

I worked through lesson one using my own dataset of images captured at my birdfeeder. I previously created a binary classifier using a commercial product Classificationbox and achieved 92% accuracy, but by following the lesson plan and using resnet34 I am getting almost 98% accuracy, so a great result :slight_smile: Notebook on kyso -> https://kyso.io/robmarkcole/birds-vs-not-birds-image-classification-using-fastai

3 Likes

Hey, to create a new image classifier after lesson 1, do I need to create a completely new notebook? Also, I am using colab, so can someone tell me how to upload the new dataset. Basically, I would really appreciate a complete step by step guide on how to create a classifier from scratch.

1 Like

My weekend’s excitement on a kaggle dataset I can no longer find: I used the Lesson 1 code to categorize pieces of art to the following categories: painting, engraving, iconography, sculpture, and drawings.

Using the ImageDataBunch.from_folder took forever because I didn’t know how to use the path parameter, and their were corrupt images.

PIL has a nifty verify() function that helped.

Finally found some time to write something about entity embeddings. The course really sparked my interest in diving deeper into the subject. Hope the post could be off some use to everyone.

“Understanding Entity Embeddings and It’s Application” by Hafidz Zulkifli https://link.medium.com/sIBqXgqAPT

1 Like

Hi all,

Jeremy had mentioned about FP16 training during one of the lectures. For this week, I chose to dig deeper into that.
Thanks to @Ekami I was able to do a 2080Ti Vs 1080Ti comparision for training times.

I think this deserves a mention that even though FP 16 is supported by many libraries now, none make it as easy as wrapping your code with a .to_fp16() like fastai does.

Here is a gentle introduction to Mixed Precision Training & a few benchmark comparision:

Regards,
Sanyam

8 Likes

Having similar issue. I’m trying to use exponential mae similarly to what Jeremy did in Rossman, but also getting score around 0.33. Before using fastai v1 I made the same notebook but for fastai v0.7 and got the error 10x smaller. The way you create custom metrics has changed in v1, it’s not as simple as it used to be and it’s quite confusing for me.

I’ve built a binary image classifier, using resnet34 and resnet50 on a dataset of blood cells images to distinguish whether a cell is infected with malaria or not. Here is

Thanks for any constructive critique and suggestions.

3 Likes

I tried another fine-grain classification problem after watching lesson 1.
Dataset - 10 Monkey species
Here’s the blog post explaining my approch.

Feedback and Suggestions are appreciated.

1 Like

I created a Plants and Fruits Image classifier. Here is an article about the same:

3 Likes

I just finished the first two lectures and wanted to try using convolutional networks on my own datasets. Full writeup on my blog.

In particular I wanted to find out what convolutional neural networks are good at and what they struggle with. I created three datasets of increasing difficulty:

1. Impressionist Paintings vs. Modernist paintings (Easy; Very different features in each class)
  2. Cats vs. Kittens (Medium; Cats and Kittens share many features)
  3. Counting identical objects (Hard; All objects have identical features)

I found the third experiment proved interesting, so I’ll share a little bit about it here.

Counting Objects

Full notebook on GitHub.

For my last task I wanted to see whether or not we could train a ResNet to “count” identical objects. So far we have seen that these networks excel at distinguishing between different objects, but can these networks also identify multiple occurrences of something?

Counting 1-5 Objects

I started by generating 2,500 images using matplotlib with 1 to 5 objects in each and labelling them accordingly.

path = 'data/counting'
data = ImageDataBunch.from_folder(path, train=".", valid_pct=0.2,
        ds_tfms=get_transforms(), size=224, num_workers=4).normalize(imagenet_stats)
data.show_batch(rows=3, figsize=(7,8))

After running a vanilla learner for a few cycles I got an accuracy of 87%! After fine-tuning with a better learning rate I was seeing accuracies of 99%!

What’s going on here? I specifically chose this class to try and trigger a failure case for convolutional networks.

What I would guess is happening here is that there are certain visual patterns that can only occur for a given number of circles (for example, one circle can never create a line) and that our network uses these features to uniquely identify each class. I’m not sure how to prove this but I have an idea of how we might break it. Maybe we can put so many circles on the screen that the unique patterns will become very hard to find. For example, instead of trying 1-5 circles, let’s try counting images that have 45-50 circles.

Counting 45-50 objects

After regenerating a new dataset, we can take a look at it:

Try finding a visual pattern in this noise! After re-running a learner and trying to fine-tune it I was only able to achieve an accuracy of about 27% which is slightly better than chance.

I should note that although this system cannot accurately distinguish between images that contain 45-50 objects, it might still be successful at counting more generally. When I ran experiments with 1-20 objects, I noticed that its predictions were frequently only off by a little bit (eg. guessing 19 elements when there are really 20). It might be tolerable for some applications to have an “approximate estimate” of the number of objects in a given scene.

Reflections

I found this experiment really interesting and it taught me more about these kind of networks. This task is technically trivial to solve (Just count the blue pixels in each image) but our neural network struggles to make progress when there are no obvious differences between the classes of images.

It was also interesting and surprising to see how it managed to succeed when counting small numbers of objects. Even though these generated images come from a completely different distribution than ImageNet (generated plots vs photos of the natural world) it still managed to use the features it had learned to make sense of plots of a small number of objects.

Edit 1

It turns out that I was a bit hasty here. After receiving suggestions from other fastai forum members I re-ran my experiments with a larger dataset and more sensible image transformations (no zoom, no crop, no warp) and achieved 100% accuracy. The network also succeeded with 100% accuracy when the objects were of different sizes.

The next step will be to re-formulate this problem as a regression problem as opposed to a classification problem. I am interested to see how it does on counts it has never seen before.

12 Likes

Have you tried treating this as a regression problem instead of a classification one? I would probably personally also attempt a different metric rather than accuracy…