Platform: Paperspace and Gradient ✅

Did you try the “Update the course repo” steps:

https://course-v3.fast.ai/update_gradient.html#update-the-course-repo

cd course-v3
git pull

Of course, I haven’t tried that yet for the lesson 2 nbs!

2 Likes

OK now I tried to git pull the new lesson 2 nb’s and get:

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
docs/_includes/footer.html
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting

I of course haven’t touched docs/_includes/footer.html so this makes no sense to me…

@dkobran @dillon …and I restarted the VM but still get the same error. Please help!

git pull worked for me but I haven’t edited or run anything.

you may need to run git stash to clean your workspace. If it fails you need to run the two git config commands.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-First-Time-Git-Setup#_first_time

$ git config --global user.name "John Doe"
$ git config --global user.email johndoe@example.com
1 Like

You can always avoid that problem by first using:

git stash

Note that that will remove any changes you’ve made.

2 Likes

Yup that worked

Yes I had tried stash but missed the part about git config. Thanks - working now.

1 Like

Daniel, I submitted a ticket, but again, they told me that Paperspace will not provide a new Fastai template.
I don’t want gradient option because I already have 2 machines for a long time.
I have already tried to set up a machine from scratch 5 times and I could not make them work properly. Many many errors and compatibility issues. I spent one week trying. very frustrating !
So, I created an instance at Google Cloud with a nice template they were kind enough to provide us. Everything is working fine at Google Cloud!
But, I would de happy to stay at paperspace if you guys crate a new Fastai template.
Is it possible?

Regards.

Hi, did you figure out how to solve this issue? I ran in to it too.

Solved: I removed the particular image that caused the problem:
! rm -rf /storage/oxford-iiit-pet/images/Siamese_36.jpg
After I loaded the data again everything worked well.

I really am confused - after using Gradient for several days, I don’t understand the point of all the leftover “notebooks” - which I think are actually VMs? I’ve been “starting” the most recent one, but of course it always makes what appears to be a new one, although sometimes the Base container and Notebook ID are the same, sometimes they’re not. I just tested starting an older one and sure enough it was out of date. Is the idea that we should rename each instance/notebook/vm when we start it? Is there some “best practice” for managing these? I don’t see anything in the docs. Am I completely missing the point?

1 Like

Hi Gietema,

But I was surprised why the error is coming only paperspace not for other platforms.

@soco_loco This is fully supported in Gradient as containers make this much easier to facilitate on our side. Support for this in Core is planned.

@dkobran @dillon I would appreciate a response to this

@ricknta This was previously answered in this thread: https://forums.fast.ai/t/platform-paperspace-and-gradient/27338/38?u=dkobran You can delete them and there is no cost to having multiple Notebooks, you are only charged while they are running.

Is it possible to use the nbextensions, and the configurator, with paperspace’s Gradient? I tried the install procedure last night, but I never could find the ‘extensions’ tab.

This is similar to an issue mentioned here before.

You could check with @dkobran for more details.

@dkobran Thanks; I had seen that thread. I’m looking for general advice on how to manage the Notebooks. I guess these are what I would have called snapshots in the MS VM world? Is the best practice to just delete them frequently? I felt forced to upgrade to the monthly plan a few days ago when it said I was out of notebooks (10) and I didn’t know what the implications of deleting are. Is there any advantage to saving any of them during the fastai course?

You can delete them and there is no cost to having multiple Notebooks, you are only charged while they are running

It sounds like there is a cost, if there’s a max of 10?

You have to upgrade the subscription to Gradient 1 for $8/mo to save 10-25 Notebooks. Pretty modest charge, but there doesn’t seem to be any clear reason to save any/many Notebooks.

Not sure if some has experimented the deletion of files in Gradient. 1 hours ago I was running the notebook corresponding to the 2nd session (actually a copy of the original one), later I stopped the service and some minutes ago I restarted the last notebook, and now there are no files (only the tutotrial):

nofiles

Even when I try to update the files from the repo I get the response “up-to-date”

terminal

Here are the state of my last notebooks:

Is the second time that this happens to me, if someone has any idea about this please let me know. I already reported this issue to Paperspace support.