Platform: Paperspace and Gradient ✅

You can run bash cells in a jupyter notebook, that might help achieve the things you do when ssh’ed into a remote machine

Hi all, if you’re using Paperspace you might enjoy a Chrome extension I made that notifies you each hour that you have an instance running (so you don’t forget to shut it off).

If you choose to use it, let me know if it doesn’t work well for you.

Extension in Chrome Store

Source Code

2 Likes

You can open a terminal in Jupyter. Click New->Terminal.

1 Like

Fair enough - but I think you might find now that you’ll be able to focus more on deep learning if you use one of the platforms supported for v3. You’re welcome to use other platforms of course, but there might be more cognitive overhead.

Sure. I´ll use other platforms. Thanks Jeremy!

1 Like

I’ve started using Gradient for the class. I’ve created a new notebook while I was starting the class. Once I’m done, I stopped the work. Today, when I resumed to work, I clicked the start and the a new notebook got created. Now I stopped this second notebook after I completed some work. Will this notebook count keep on increasing as and when I start the notebook. It looks like below. I’ve not noticed any difference when the new notebook started. But its a bit inconvenient seeing so many notebooks without any difference. Also it says, my current subscription has a limitation of 10 notebooks. Why are separate notebooks popping up? Is it that my notebook runs on new VM every time I stop and start just keeping the storage persistent as @rachel was mentioning ?

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, will try it out.

@NathanHub The only restriction I can think of is that you can only have a single promo code applied at a time. Do you have another active code?

1 Like

@abhayvarma You can use the same machine type but not the same exact VM. Gradient runs inside a docker container, not a full VM. Containers remove a lot of the complexity around management which is why we’re moving in that direction. Here’s the P4000 machine types in Gradient.

@NandoBr Just submit a ticket here and we’ll take care of you right away:

https://support.paperspace.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Be sure to include repro steps. Thanks!

@sahilk1610 The new course is based on a new framework (+ new NVIDIA drivers/CUDA,cuDNN etc.) so I would definitely recommend starting with a fresh Gradient Notebook. You can keep your old machine around though if you want to have it available for future reference. Hope that helps.

1 Like

@vijaysai You’re right, this is confusing. We thought it would be nice to be able to version Notebooks but it should be an option, not the default. I’ll create a ticket to make this change. FWIW, you are not charged anything for having these extra Notebook in your account.

1 Like

I had the promo code from last year, but I cannot see if it is still active nor the credit that is left. Where can I check?

@dkobran How do I access the data in storage? I was a bit freaked out when Gradient moved my data folder there but then I found the data - but don’t know how to set a path to it. The download_images nb uses Path like this:

path = Path(‘data/sayoc’)

which worked fine when I had my images in the data folder but if use ‘storage/sayoc’ it doesn’t find my images…

So I started the course once before (on a paperspace vm) and did the whole selenium, chromedriver, etc song and dance to be able to download my own image sets.

Cannot for the life of me get sudo, etc to work on a gradient notebook (neither via cells in a notebook, not via starting a terminal window.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-L

Notebooks should be running as root so sudo is likely not necessary. What errors are you seeing?

The container is set to override the default fastai download location to the persistent /storage directory using the config.yml file. The fast.ai docs are here

and the config.yml file that we use in the Paperspace+Fast.ai Notebook can be found here: https://github.com/Paperspace/fastai-docker/blob/fastai/pytorch1.0/config.yml

Thanks but I have no idea what to do with that information…

How do I access data in the storage folder from a nb? Do I have to modify the config.yml file? If so, where is that located?

The /storage directory is a special folder that is mounted on every notebook. Anything that you put in that folder using and standard command will show up on every subsequent notebook.

Which notebook are you using? Let me see if I can reproduce your issue.