Platform: Paperspace and Gradient ✅

Me too. I pinged Paperspace support about it today, so a dev is looking into it already. The support person asked me to cross-post my question here, but I haven’t had time tonight.

Noticed that I find it almost impossible to load my paperspace instance at night here in Lagos, it never seems to work, it just keeps loading while eating up all my available credits.

Is there anything I am not doing right?

If my instances take more than 3-4 minutes, I reload the page. Sometimes the instance is running, but the page doesn’t reflect the status properly. Same thing happens on shutdown for me. It doesn’t always work, though.

I also reload my broswer and it doesnt work.
It has started behaving same way again.

I’m now having the same issue – Was happily hacking away at the lesson 2 materials, ran into a cuda memory problem, figured I’d spin down/up, and now having the exact same situation as you describe above.

@dillon ?

1 Like

sadly until this moment I have no response from support team. For now I’m figuring out how to do a fresh start using GCP.

@ricknta VM Snapshots are a good analogy. It’s also similar to “Make a copy” in Google Docs. Typically, you should only have a few versioned Notebooks around ie hopefully not necessary to update the Gradient subscription. The change we need to make asap is make this an option and not the default. For now, just delete the old ones unless you want to keep them around.

3 Likes

ok thanks!

For lesson2-planet.ipynb, I need to install 7zip:

On Paperspace Gradient, when I run sudo apt-get install p7zip-full, I get the following error:
/bin/sh: 24: sudo: not found

Is there a way to install 7zip on Paperspace Gradient?

Not sure, but try it without the sudo.

For anyone else having issues with installing 7zip on Paperspace Gradient. This works:

1. apt-get update
  2. apt-get install p7zip-full
1 Like

I keep running into this error:
RuntimeError: CUDA error: out of memory
I can’t quite understand what the solution is from reading the previous responses. I did originally start off with the fastai template and have had to modify it.

It’s possible you are actually running out of GPU memory (which the error message suggests). In this case I would recommend trying a larger/higher-end GPU to see if you can reproduce the issue/narrow it down.

Thanks. I’m following the latest instructions for gradient - I’ll be trying that out.

Update - Ive tried pulling the latest course-v3 but nothing seemed to have changed - I couldn’t see lesson 2.

What would be the best machine option? Since I’ve been working with that previously I thought of maybe working with that again.

1 Like

I’m facing the same problem yesterday and I did git stash and suddenly the problem solved. I do check git status before doing that and see that not committed changes that delete all the Lesson 2 notebook.

Although I don’t know why it happens

1 Like

Same problems Sasha – FWIW, I’ve been running P5000 vms/NBs. Pulling course-v3 is the real issue though – None of the current notebooks come down. Really weird because github should be independent of Paperspace…

1 Like

Have you been using the workbook or the machine?

Notebooks.
They were working fine before (updating the course) FWIW.
Deleted my actual VM when I started the current course cycle.

How are you saving your work? Previously I created a separate git repository for my notebooks but I’m a little confused as to how to do that with the notebooks - can I clone my repo into storage?

was doing stash/pop and saving copies of the NB
The entire experience has been somewhat janky though, FWIW. I may just go back to a VM.