Platform: Paperspace and Gradient ✅

Hello all
Hello @jeremy
I tried to run the lesson3-imdb.ipynb on paperspace and when I used the "path = untar_data(URLs.IMDB); path.ls() " and these resulted:
“[PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/unsup’),
PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/data_lm.pkl’),
PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/README’),
PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/tmp_clas’),
PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/test’),
PosixPath(’/notebooks/course-v3/nbs/dl1/data/imdb/models’)]”

i noticed that the ‘train’ folder was conspicuously missing. I tried updating the ‘fastai’ libraries on the terminal several times but it always got the same results. Everything worked fine on colab except that colab was slow in training that was why I transferred to paperspace. Can someone help with this soonest? thanks.

Hello

I used paperspace as my GPU at part 1 of the course.

I am willing to start part 2, and when I open a new notebook at paperspace I see only the notebooks of part 1.

how can I use paperspace at part 2?

thank you!

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting on the fast.ai forum! I recently joined as the head of developer advocacy at Paperspace and I’m glad to be a part of the community here.

Earlier today we opened up the waitlist for our Free GPUs Plan, which will let you run Jupyter Notebooks on a free, dedicated cloud GPU instance.

Quite a few of your fellow fast.ai course students— over 6500!— have already used our pay-to-play Notebooks and VMs and we hope this new, free plan will help better support the community’s efforts to develop their deep learning skills.

We’ll be making the free plan available for everyone later summer, and in the meantime, we’d like to invite you to sign up for an invite to the waitlist here: Free Gradient GPU Plan Waitlist

We’d welcome and greatly appreciate your feedback, which we’ll use to build a better product and provide better support.

Thanks, and looking forward to connecting with you all!

2 Likes

Hello, I have been using a fastai P4000 notebook for some time now and I have been facing a rather recurrent problem where I would sometimes open my notebook and find an entire folder missing, sometimes more than one. Anyone else facing this issue?

Yes, the same problem. Temporal solution for this is to run cd course-v3 && git checkout -- folder_that_missing from terminal.

Issue with ImageCleaner and the notebook Content Security Policy?

@ProustIdee I verified this CSP error and we just pushed a fix into production so you should be all set. Let me know if you continue to encounter this. Sorry for the trouble – our CSP policy was a bit too tight.

Hello,

When working in paperspace for the course I have been saving duplicates of the course notebooks in the same folder as the original ones. They have now disappeared on 2 separate occasions. Is it possible to get these back/prevent the issue from happening again? The downloaded pictures in the “data”-folder are still left which is good. Thanks in advance.

About the terminal.

I just type ‘bash’ at the beginning and you will enter on a bash session with all the usual features.

In other words, the initial shell is not bash (what I think you expect).

1 Like

Many of us faced that and other problems.

I keep all that is important under /storage

Before I start my session I run a script that links (soft link) what I have in /storage to the expected places, so everything runs as expected but the real files are always ON /storage (the only place you can trust to keep according with their documentation).

Hope it helps.

ln -s … Is the command

Paperspace :heart: free GPU
Link to setup with info on how to use free GPU backed notebooks: https://course.fast.ai/start_gradient.html#pricing

Does anybody have experience with installing the openface library on paperspace? A simple pip install does not do the job and I was not able to apply the following setup tutorial in paperspace (i.e., I did not understand how to do it): https://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/setup/#setup

Any ideas highly appreciated :slight_smile:

did you found out the solution ?

Can you try to add the exclamation mark at the beginning?
! pip install …

Maybe you typed it in an iPython environment instead of the bash environment?

Hey did anyone manage to untar rossmann dataset for lesson 6?
I tried this in the rossman_data_clean.ipynb notebook:

!tar xvzf rossmann.tgz -C data/rossmann

However I get the following error:
tar (child): rossmann.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Even though the file is there

Hi,

I am having trouble uploading an image dataset in .npz format into my jupyter environment. I am using Paperspace Gradient. I have the dataset in my PC and the upload is failing and the following error message gets saved in the same filename as the one I am trying to upload:

dataset%20upload%20error

The file gets saved as seen in the image:

I am fairly new to coding. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hey,
I find Paperspace to be extremely unreliable!
More than once I came back to the platform and found all of fast.ai’s notebooks gone.
Does anyone experience this as well?!
It keeps only the (sub)folders where I have created my own files, but have deleted all other files.
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 14.36.44|690x296

I don’t have edit permission on Wikis yet, but the “Tutorial” link is broken - needs changing to https://course.fast.ai/start_gradient.html

Hi,
I am using Paperspace Gradient and for a project I wanted a live camera feed. To this I imported opencv.
But I was unable to access the camera of my laptop. I tried using the VideoCapture, but cap.isOpened() is False everytime even after using cap.open() . I even tried to pass -1 as argument to cv2.VideoCapture(), but it didn’t work too. The code is given below
I think it’s because notebook is not running on my machine but rather a remote server.
So can anyone suggest me how to get an access to live camera feed?
I would like to implement it for the web app as well as Android app.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

import cv2
cap = cv2.VideoCapture(0)
i=0
cap.open(0)
print(cap.isOpened())
while(cap.isOpened()):
    ret, frame = cap.read()

if ret == False:
        break
    cv2.imwrite('/notebooks/storage/Handwash_project/jang'+str(i)+'.jpg',frame)
    i+=1

cap.release()
cv2.destroyAllWindows()
1 Like

Anyone from outside of the US signed up for Paperspace when I try to upgrade I get a ZIP code error. I cant see on the site how you sign up from outside the US.