See you all at Galvanize Thursday Nov 1 at 6:30.
We have 10 confirmed attendees, 3 “maybe”.
If you plan to come, please update the attendee list so your name will be with security…
PS: We may have another “surprise guest” …
We welcome those from “Joisey” …
You just need to register so your name will be listed with security…
What room are you in? The guy at the front desk didn’t really give much guidance.
Apologies I couldn’t make it last night. How was it? Can I get a rough minutes of the meetup?
ps was hoping to say in person but awesome shoutout to @henripal for last week’s lesson.
Hi everyone! It was nice to meet you yesterday evening and really exciting to hear where
fastai is heading next from @sgugger and how he got where he is
We decided to change the location of the next meet-up. The new location will be at the Farfetch office, 30 West 21st St, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10010.
Below is a poll to decide when shall we meet.
When would you like to meet next?
- Wed, Nov 7th
- Thu, Nov 8th (also day of fastai Lecture 3)
- Fri, Nov 9th
- Tue, Nov 13 (also day of fastai Lecture 4)
- Wed, Nov 14
- Thu, Nov 15
- Fri, Nov 16
Hey. I never knew there was NY study group too. Hopefully, I will be joining regularly in future study sessions (if I don’t have night classes). Is there any other channel, like slack, where members from this forum are active? Thanks.
Some of us are in the #nyc channel on AI Saturdays but there have been 0 messages in that channel in the last 10 days so this thread is probably a better bet.
How to register to the NYC study group ?
We can keep using the Google Sheet document to keep track of who will be attending next week Study Group on Wednesday, Nov 7th.
I’m closing the pool since the vast majority (71%) of the voters said they would like to meet on Wednesday.
Hey, so as to “rough minutes” of the meeting, here is what I remember:
- we talked a little about learning rates schedules; @sgugger suggested reading the Leslie Smith papers, notably this one
- Sylvain also explained hwo he got into his position (quit your job, work all day on deep learning)
- we talked about maybe spending 30 minutes doing 2-3 “code discussions” involving people who wanted to show some code they wrote to the group to discuss
- several people said they would like to “team up” on projects
- we discussed contributing to the library and some ideas to catch up to the SF study group
- we determined that no-one really knew what Apache Arrow was but decided to ask @mechanyx about it every week
I’m sure others will remember other points?
What time would we plan to meet on Wednesday?
Hi, I think the same time as previously: 630-830 roughly.
The study group starts at 6:30 PM and we need to leave by 9PM.
Hi! I was poking around yesterday evening to add some kind of “interpretability layer” to my satellite imagery project (check it out here if you haven’t yet).
On the subject of interpretability, I loved this distill.pub article. However, there doesn’t seem to be the equivalent library to the one they used, Lucid for PyTorch. I’m still on the fence but working on a subset of something similar for PyTorch/fast.ai sounds like a worthwhile project.
Would this be of interest to any of you?
[EDIT]: forget it current discussion of implementations and initiatives by fastai students can be found here
I wanted to put in a plug for the NYAI meetup on Nov. 27 (https://nyai26.splashthat.com/). I’ve been to a couple of them now and they’ve been quality events; would be great to see some familiar faces from the fastai group at the next one.
What is the location for tonight’s meeting?