New York study group

Indeed it was a great meeting! Thank you all for participating…
Now, let me ask each of you to share (here, in brief) one or more interesting things that you
heard at the Monday session.
We did not “take notes” of the round table, so it will be great if we can share here…

I recall a few things:

1. Soumith question to us about what are the patterns of development/use that we follow.
  2. The (future?) support in Pytorch of “throw-away” part of the computation on the pass forward, and recompute it as needed in the backward pass, in order to release memory to enable bigger models.
  3. There are only 2 DL frameworks with momentum today, TensorFlow and PyTorch.
  4. How using an NVIDIA NVLink motherboard enables fast GPU-CPU memory exchanges by-passing PCI-e bandwidth bottleneck.

What other topics do you recall that we covered?

Other topics:

• what’s next for pytorch: making jit-compiled code faster than eager code
  • no plans for extensions to other languages (a la swift for TF)

(Beginners: not to worry you’ll be fluent in all this stuff in no time :slight_smile: )

Separate to the performance topics and probably somewhat less popular, I was interested to hear about was Apache Arrows. As I use (and love) pandas an awful lot, I wouldn’t mind hearing more on arrows.

Unfortunately, Monday night the space in Galvanize is taken by another group…
I can reserve it for either Tuesday 10/30 or Thursday 11/1 at 6:30PM …
Is there an easy way to conduct an online poll on your preferences?

Please post your reply as TUESDAY or THURSDAY…

I vote TUESDAY

Hi there! I can only make it Thursday.

I would rather meet on Thursday, so that we can all review the material of the lesson.

THURSDAY
Yeah having a meet after class sounds good

Either is fine for me.

Thursday sounds like a good idea.

Early polling indicated a preference for Thursday, yet many have not yet indicated a preference…
Will close the poll at midnight tonight…

I can make either but would prefer Thursday

Thursday won, 5-1…
Now RSVP for Thursday at 6:30.
Please add your full name (if not listed) as I need to leave a list of attendees for security…

Next, we need an agenda… What topics would the attendees want to cover on Thursday?

I am working to recruit another “surprise guest” …

Cheers,
G

1 Like

Will you be attending the study group:

Date: Thursday, November 1
Time: 6:30pm

If you have not yet, please complete whatever info you would like to share in fastai_Fall_2018_NYC_Group

At a minimum, please put in your First & Last names.

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. not sure

0 voters

1 Like

I think it would be nice to spend some time talking about project ideas.

1 Like

Hi all,
I am writing a blog and including a short paragraph with a couple of photos about week 1. Will share once it’s complete.

5 Likes

+1 for project ideas.
Would add:

• show your work: everyone who’s done something has the option to talk about it
  • Questions about the lesson(s) ?

good ideas. can discuss any Kaggle competitions folks want to participate in.

1 Like

Where are you folks meeting again? Galvenize in SoHo? I’m in “Joisey” which is why I’m asking.