New York study group

I’ll be there

I’m going to try to be there. Again, I just had surgery so no garauntees but I think I’ll be able to make it.

I’m still in.

OCTOBER 22, 6:30PM - 8:30PM (Tonight!) NYC Study Group Kickoff:

• We will meet at the IBM Classroom in the 2nd floor.
  • Check-in in the first floor, and you will get directions to the Classroom

Food:

• Pizza? : We may order once we know people’s preferences.
  • BYO: You can bring your own food (eg sandwich, etc.) if you prefer or have food restrictions
  • cafe on the ground floor in case folks want to pick up snacks or drinks

“Proposed” Agenda

Here is a draft proposed agenda: (suggestions welcome)

• 6:25 Arrival and find the Classroom
  • 6:30 Count attendees, order pizza
  • 6:45 Individual Introductions to the group: 1 minute for each attendee
  • 7:00 Talk/Round Table with Special Fastai Guest
  • 7:30 Group photo/video: Live from NY: It’s the Fastai Study Group!
  • 7:45 Discuss Goals / projects / homework / getting help
  • 8:00 set up next week’s session
  • 8:15 - Network

Volunteers

We need volunteers for one or more tasks:

• order food
  • set up calendar invite
  • set up spreadsheet
  • etc

Connecting

• Please join our Linkedin Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8702290/

• Set up a google spreadsheet with Name, LinkedIn, Twitter, Forum ID, email address, GitHub ID, Slack info, Platform (AWS, Paperspace, IBM, etc), skillset (Python, stats, NLP, etc)

Repository

• Out public Github repository is “NYC Fastai Study Group” --> nyc-fastai-study-group
  • here’s an example of another repo for inspiration DLSG

Looking forward to meet all of you who RSVPed… :slight_smile:

Special Thanks to @reshama for her detailed agenda suggestions and @henripal.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t make it in time since I’d be coming from NJ :frowning:

If there’s a video chat link available for the meeting I can join in that way.

I am interested to join.
(if there is still a spot)

1 Like

I’ll have to miss this today unfortunately. Looking forward to attending the next meet up.

Something came up so I won’t be able to come today but I really want to hear the details for next week’s meeting!

What about changing the date of the next week event to something different from the day of the live streaming? IMHO, that would give people some time to work on their own on the material and could probably lead to more informative discussions.

5 Likes

Yes, come over!

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. We should take a poll to figure out the day when most people are available.

Greetings!
We will be at Galvanize, 303 Spring Street at 6:30.
At the entrance ask for Camila, she should have your name on the list and guide you to the IBM Cloud Garage Classroom…

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello, yes this would be good.
I would prefer weekends , since I would come from long island.

I was out of town yesterday. I’d be happy to try and meet with others this weekend.

We had our kickoff meeting yesterday at Galvanize. Our featured “surprise” guest was Soumith Chindala, from Facebook, technical leader of Pytorch. We had a very interesting Roundtable with Q&A on Pytorch and many related topics.

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing Soumith - super interesting discussion, and what a way to kick off this study group! Was great to meet everyone and looking forward to getting to know everyone better over the coming weeks.

@reshama set up a spreadsheet for all of us to share contacts and expertise. that you can access here - please fill it out!

2 Likes

Ah bummer, I missed this thread! I’ll definitely join next week, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey, if anyone in the thread is looking for inspiration for the image classification homework, I can heartily recommend the following data sources:

Andrew Beam’s curated medical datasets

and

A collection of free satellite imagery resources

Have any of you done satellite imagery stuff before or know of any good resources? Seems like it would be an endless source of creative applications!

3 Likes

Thanks again for getting a space and everything. Sorry I was super out of it. Hopefully I’ll be more with it next week!

It was a great first meeting! Not sure how we can beat that.

Thanks @gsg for securing the space and @henripal for bringing snacks.

5 Likes