Lesson translations (2020) - help wanted

Thanks for looking into it!

Would be great to have some kind of tutorial/guide to help everyone get started… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not the best but I can try translating to swahili.

3 Likes

@radikubwa that would be awesome. Not sure I’ve seen DL material in any African languages - that could be a big deal! Could you please add your name to the top post?

1 Like

I can help in Polish for @Blanche and @miwojc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Michal_w - can you please add your name to the top post?

1 Like

Hi @jeremy,
would we do a translation on a live recorded version or MOOC one?
You are doing post-editing usually before releasing it as MOOC, I am just curious if captions will be preserved.

I do the editing in the 24 hours after the lesson, and that’s what’s released both to the in-person group, and as a MOOC. No other edits will happen after that to the videos.

Thanks for the great question.

4 Likes

Surprised nobody offered help with the Russian translation. I’ll handle that then. Added myself to the post. If anyone wants to collaborate, please feel free to add yourself, I’ll start a thread when the course starts and we can load balance. :wink:

2 Likes

I can help you with this if you are ok.

1 Like

I would love to arrange the translation into Hebrew, but I don’t seem to have the time to translate everything on my own. Is it possible to ask people who have not been invited to the course to translate and send them the link in private?

I would love it! There is also possibility that a couple more people will join so we should be able to balance load quite well.

1 Like

Yes absolutely - if there are folks who are prepared to put in the time helping with translations, then they’re most welcome to join the course!

Excellent! I add my name.

at youtube, process to add translation is rather simple thanks to editor available there. but it takes a lot of effort to translate 2 hour long lecture. i think to speed up the translation it’s best to split the video in parts and allocate the work between each ‘language team’ members.

i put a couple of screenshots together (using fastpages :slight_smile: ) on how to add translations (the splitting part is not in there though)

say for example there are two people translating two hour long video. one person gets 0-1hr part and another gets 1-2hr part. they translate it via youtube editor. then download the translation file to disk. combine the two translations files into one and upload to as one complete translation.

what do you think?

1 Like

I think that makes a lot of sense :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jeremy my guess is that you would like to have translations for the edited videos, not the raw recordings right?

Hello @Blanche @slawekbiel @Michal_w
I have created a thread for our group so that we can coordinate our activities --> https://forums.fast.ai/t/polish-translation-team-thread/65779
Thanks!

1 Like

How you translation just never did presume it is youtube funcionality ?

:slight_smile:

posted my reply in our thread --> https://forums.fast.ai/t/polish-translation-team-thread/65779/2 :slight_smile:

and yes it’s got built in editor for that

Yes that’s right. They’re posted now. I’ll try to get an automated transcription done as soon as I can, then the transcription team can get on to doing it properly - but hopefully the auto one will be enough to start translating.

1 Like