Lesson transcriptions (2020) - help wanted

Not yet @morgan - I might wait until the YouTube auto transcription is available, since it is so much better than the Nuance one. Then I’ll set up the Google Doc.

4 Likes

@transcribe-1v4: The google doc is now available:

I’ve split it into 25 equal sized paragraphs, but haven’t put names above each paragraph - you can do that yourself when you start transcribing a paragraph of your choice. See the google doc for updated instructions.

Thanks so much everyone! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Setting playback speed as 0.75 surely helps!

2 Likes

@jeremy I’ve done a few more. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but:

I created a quizlet set of questions for Francois Chollet’s Deep Learning With Python book (first few chapters, about 120 terms/questions). You can see it here. I thought about doing the same thing for fastai, and began it here. Questions:

1. This is currently public, but I can make it password-protected, or private-only (to myself). Which would you prefer?
  2. If it’s password-protected or public, I can create a google spreadsheet that can be imported into the app, so that others could contribute to it. I find quizlet to be extremely helpful. It has various clever learning techniques built in, showing flashcards and teaching you in a number of ways, tracking your progress and recording the ones you missed. This would allow students to review (for instance) the terms in lesson 2 that are critical to understanding your presentations going forward. I also created a few just based on questions asked and answered during Lesson 2.

You should be able to download the quizlet app on your phone and search for “fastai” or “Deep Learning With Python” and have those datasets come up.

Edit: I did upgrade to the paid version which allows me to insert images and text formatting.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Woah this went fast! The transcriptions are all done, already!

1 Like

Hi Jeremy, @jeremy Are Lesson 3 transcriptions done yet? Is the video up yet?

I haven’t seen them but the unedited live-streamed video is still available

I’ve seen the unedited video. Usually Jeremy edits it for public consumption. Are we to transcribe the unedited version? @jeremy

That’s not what I was suggesting – I thought you wanted to view the video! Pretty sure it will be posted when he’s had time to get to it.

Sorry I had missed this entire discussion. I would like to help transcribe, or whatever else needs helping with.

Is anybody working on this one?

Hadn’t seen it! Thanks for posting!

1 Like

It looks like a copy from YouTube transcript - which is totally understandable given how busy Jeremy has been.

Hi everyone!
Given how busy Jeremy’s been, I went ahead and broke up the text into 25 sections. It will be a little more work for us, given the transcript is starting from a less finished product, but I think we’ll do just fine.
Transcription: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17iGkQi4yvSd8BQykGqYgzpFdjphpVqzX6OPePYSF08Y/
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3Ao5KuCC4

You know what to do!

2 Likes

Ha. I knew I was editing the document at the same time as someone. I put the time at the beginning of each section. They should be good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 our of 25 sections done for Lesson 3, and Lesson 4 coming soooon I guess, lets go team! :smiley:

3 Likes

I completed the sixth bit, starting at [0:14:53]. However, there’s a piece towards the end which I cannot render in English (underlined in brown). Jeremy is basically saying that two classes have a probability of ten to the minus six, and the last one has a probability of one. But he says something like ten in ex six? Not sure what mathematical expression he’s using…

2 Likes

"the activation of black bear is 10e-6, the activation for grizzly is 1 and the activation for teddy is 10e-6

(but from looking at the video I think he should have said 1e-6 …)

1e-6 = 0.000001. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, it should be 1e-6 and not 10e-6. However, how do you spell this in spoken English? “One ex minus 6”? I should probably write “1e-6” in the transcript and be done with it…I think that would be the less ambiguous/more readable choice.

I think he says “Ten E neg six” for “10e-6”

2 Likes