Lesson 5 - Official Topic

This is a wiki post - feel free to edit to add links from the lesson or other useful info.

Note that the video and this thread is called “lesson 5” because that’s what this will be in the MOOC, even although it’s week 4 of the course

Lesson resources

Links from lesson

Other useful links

16 Likes

Best part of the week.

3 Likes

Just wanted to ask here because there have been several questions in the official thread with no response:

Where did the official study group Zoom go? The link is no longer functional.

Edit: Also super pumped for the ethics lesson!

3 Likes

Will chapter 4 be covered? I don’t think we finished it last lesson.

2 Likes

Some enterprising person will need to replace it with something else for now - I’ve been flat out on masks!

8 Likes

mic 1 is quieter

Very important lesson, everyone in the industry show watch this lecture.

8 Likes

Awesome topic, I am delighted. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
How can we break this feedback loop? Can we use a “surprise effect” on the recommendations? How can we implement it?

3 Likes

Human in the loop is critical.

5 Likes

On masks, I wanted to add 1 thing that I just recalled, Even batman told us:

YqXdZSn1rAqi5Ys6

21 Likes

What sort of pre planning or pre deploy steps can a team take when deploying a model to avoid things like a feedback loop?

1 Like

Quick google search with Nigerian names does not have the same poor results as Sweeney Latanya. Interesting observation.

1 Like

Can you give me an example name? I wonder if it depends on location.

1 Like

Are there references re IBM and Nazis and their complicity etc. Didnt see any in the video.

Chika ejebe, Chinedu Ojokwu, Ikenna Uchenna, Ikechukwu chizoba. Location, like you said, could be an issue. Also, these names are for a particular tribe in Nigeria. Other tribes may be different.

1 Like

He is the one who covered parts that need not be covered and left open parts that were to be covered …

1 Like

There’s a book about it “IBM and the holocaust”

2 Likes

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/ibm-and-quot-death-s-calculator-quot-2

6 Likes

There is a wikipedia page on this with references:

5 Likes