Lesson 1 official topic

This post is for topics related to lesson 1 of the course.

This is a wiki post - feel free to edit to add links from the lesson or other useful info which is appropriate for beginners.

Lesson 2 >>>

Lesson resources

Links from the lesson

Other useful links

Discussion

Please use this topic to ask any question about the course (even if you think they are stupid, we really love stupid questions). Note that this is the beginners topic, so if you have already followed the course and your question/intervention is more advanced, please use the non-beginner discussion topic.

Questions with lots of likes will be asked live by John. If you see a question youā€™d really like to be answered, click on the heart under it to like it. Donā€™t post duplicate questions if possible. They will be removed by the moderators (donā€™t be mad if this happens to you, itā€™s nothing personal). If your question is not answered during the course, it will be answered on this topic after the lesson.

This topic will be very crowded, so please refrain from getting too much off track (create another topic for this) and please like the post of someone who replied to you instead of replying with thank you.

Notes

• Remember that the book has a chapter containing details on each lesson
40 Likes

Hi Jeremy,

I think the non-beginner topic wasnā€™t created so I made one and updated the wiki-I hope thatā€™s okay :smiley:

7 Likes

A bit of OT question: is it okay if we snapshot an image of the class at some point for a social media post? Given that itā€™s not yet public yet, I wasnā€™t sure

1 Like

What are the specs of your laptop that you can handle streaming, recording, and training a model :exploding_head:

14 Likes

IIRC, Jeremy has Surface Book 3.

4 Likes

I guess he is using Windows Surface ā€¦ some variant.

1 Like

I was mostly curious what is the setup Jeremy has to have Jupyter notebooks as slides. I think it is this:
https://rise.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

12 Likes

How to use vision_learner to use latest computer vision models?

1 Like

Pass a string of the name of the pretrained model from timmā€¦ See the example at the bottom of https://timm.fast.ai

12 Likes
14 Likes

Iā€™m one of the live TAā€™s. If you have any issues or would like any helpā€¦please ā€œ@ā€ me and Iā€™ll do my best to help!

13 Likes

Could be mercury ā†’ Interactive Presentation - a Hugging Face Space by pplonski

3 Likes

Jeremy says you learn best when you read the questionnaire first. Is this the questionnaire for lesson 1?

1 Like

To anyone that might feel a bit uncomfortable with the top down learning methods:

I had written extensively about my struggles in ā€œHow not to do fastaiā€, I cover my pains of someone who studied in university-of how difficulty it was to learn something in top down fashion :smiley:

We had also shared this in a ā€œreverseā€ interview where Jeremy kindly interviewed me. I hope this helps :pray:

15 Likes

The questionnaire is in the book. Check the fastbook repo notebooks for the Jupyter notebook versions of the book.

Here is the chapter for lesson 1:

3 Likes

Yes, Jeremy said the forum was overloaded at the start of the lecture.

2 Likes

@n-e-w is it possible to sort this page by # likes? To select questions for pushing into the lecture?

1 Like

Thanks for your introduction. I saw both ā€˜bird.pngā€™ and ā€˜bird.jpgā€™ in the presentation earlier. Just wanted to point it out.

Is there somewhere I can get more info on the project which used recurrence plots as input to DL? (mentioned by Jeremy in the lecture just now; I missed if there was a reference)

2 Likes