International fellowship

I just built mine too, around the same price - Intel 7700 CPU + two MSI 1070 GPUs.

Hey @davecg, how does your graphic card compare to GTX 980 or Titan X? Price-wise, clock rate and memory of GPU in particular.

Hi @karthik_k314
Where exactly in Bangalore do you reside? It would be good to meet up and discuss ideas.

Got it from Amazon for $419, but probably available for less somewhere else:

MSI 1070

It has 8 GB RAM just like the 1080 (although think it might be slightly lower quality) and has a few less CUDA cores, but was significantly less money for not much loss in performance.

If I had the $$, would go for a Titan since I want to work with large datasets with big images.

@davecg Great to know! Intel i7-7700k is a great CPU. And yes, 1070 has the best value/money ratio.

I did not pick the 6700/7700 series CPU only because they have maximum of 16 PCIe lanes, so it’s not possible to expand to 3-4 GPUs later.

Which CPU did you end up using?

I was thinking about i7-5930k initially, but I ended up with i7-5820k since it is much cheaper and the number of PCIe lanes should be enough for at least 3 GPUs, and for some models the bandwidth is enough for 4 GPUs. I examined the Tensorflow 1.0 multiple GPU training examples with Inception V3, and calculated that 8 PCIe lanes per GPU (with 8GB memory) offer sufficient bandwidth for CNN type of models.

1 Like

Quite a few things I’d be interested in working on:

• Kaggle Fisheries competition (@even/@aifish - I would be interested in working with you on this)
  • Some kind of creative or artistic project using GANs
  • Financial time series analysis (option chains in particular). I have some interesting ideas here.

I have other more ambitious ideas, but I want to keep it relatively simple (and focused on this course for now).

Cheers,
James

For putting you in teams, please put your forum username and timezone in this spreadsheet. On Thursday afternoon (pacific time) I’ll sort by time-zone and assign you to groups based on people in similar time-zones.

If some of you have already decided to be in a group together, please note that in the spreadsheet.

1 Like

I am taking part in the Kaggle Fishery competition. Anybody would like to team up?

1 Like

Anyone working on the Data Science Bowl? Getting started now that I have some GPUs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@davecg I was trying the data set. So far I was able to do some pre-processing and tried few ideas. If you want to discuss in a separate thread this one might be a good place lung-cancer-thread.

Guys i was just thinking on a fun project to work on.
People want personalized smilies. smilies that look like them
We can use style transfer and Deep learning to draw customized smilies. Anyone else interested in this?

2 Likes

@jeremy @rachel when are we going to be assigned into groups?

I’ve just finished assigning everyone in the spreadsheet to groups now. Can one of you in each group please create a private chat for your group, using the usernames in the spreadsheet?

Hey Kishore,

I reside in Indira Nagar. Would love to meetup and discuss ideas and form a study group here. :slight_smile:

A 7700K w/ M270 chipset can do 3 GPUs.

Pascal (nVidia 10xx cards) only support 2 GPUs in SLI (this is for gaming) so more and more motherboards may stop focusing on 3 and 4 GPU support going forward. The MSI M270 M5 motherboard I got can do 3 GPU’s at 8x8x4x. The difference between 16x and 8x is less than 1% but I have not tested 4x, so the third card will be reduced but I don’t think it will be a huge difference.

The 16 lane bus support on the 7700 isn’t a huge limitation for 99% of people and you will be better off with 2x1080Ti or even 2x1080 over 4x1070.

1 Like

Great!

Yes, we could also do it on a CPU for sure even if it will be a bit slow compared to GPUs.
I have runned the lesson 8 notebooks on my Intel core i3-2350M CPU, with 6Go of RAM.
Windows 10 as host, and the setup through a Ubuntu Virtual Machine on VMware Workstation 12 Player.
As I said all works fine even if a bit slow, so it can do the job.

Thanks for letting us know. Have you tried Ubuntu Bash for Windows? I would have expected it to be faster than a VM.