Beginner: Beginner questions that don't fit elsewhere ✅

Ah! My misconception was that JupyterLab was just for the Python stuff, and Terminals were common for PaperSpace IDE and JupyterLab. Lately while doing just terminal work I had stopped booting into JupyterLab. If you have an ear at Paperspace, perhaps there could be a setting at Instance Creation to boot straight into JupyterLab, or something we can do in our pre-run.sh to JupyterLab the default.

I notice this at the bottom of /run.sh

jupyter lab --allow-root --ip=0.0.0.0 --no-browser --ServerApp.trust_xheaders=True --ServerApp.disable_check_xsrf=False --ServerApp.allow_remote_access=True --ServerApp.allow_origin='*' --ServerApp.allow_credentials=True
1 Like

I (and many others) have tried to explain to them that we’re not fond of their GUI, but they seem to be pretty convinced that we ought to be, and it’s just a matter of time until we see the light…

3 Likes

I’m curious about resamples parameter of class Resize, when is it beneficial to use a different algorithm for pillow image and for mask?

I can only hazard a guess… that the mask doesn’t need so much detail as the image, so NEAREST is sufficient and cheaper.

Segmentation masks need to be integers, and using NEAREST is a good way to ensure that.

(FYI this isn’t a beginner question (it’s not covered in the course).)

1 Like

I’m doing some binary segmentation with unet_learner based on @muellerzr awesome notebook here: walkwithfastai.github.io/04_Segmentation.ipynb at master · walkwithfastai/walkwithfastai.github.io · GitHub

I added a similar accuracy metric, however some of the images have only Void for the mask which is resulting my code getting a NaN.

I changed it to return nan_to_num, however I am unsure what the correct value would be in that case? Should I be going to 0 or 1, if there are predictions and its empty thats a perfect score so it should be a 1 right?

def get_metrics(void_code: int = 0) -> List:
    def acc_dfu(inp, targ):
        targ = targ.squeeze(1)
        mask = targ != void_code
        result = (inp.argmax(dim=1)[mask]==targ[mask]).float().mean()
        return result.nan_to_num()
    return [acc_dfu, Dice]

Also, is this accuracy metric a bit useless given I am also using Dice? Should I just stick with Dice?

Also this is the lr_find im seeing, what do people suggest I use and should I use a slice or use a single lr and ReduceLROnPlateau with SaveModelCallback or EarlyStoppingCallback instead?

I get the impression that once your model has started to overfit (valid_loss going back up), there isn’t really any way to go back, so its best to use an earlier snapshot or try again?

I found a question in the public forum that I found interesting and on the cusp of being able to answer. Could someone with more experience follow up my response to this post…

In the Kaggle leaderboard I see a very few lines with the angle brackets I’ve boxed in red.

I’m curious where this comes from. Hovering over it looks like this…

1 Like

I think they are submissions from a notebook.

1 Like

I have been noticing some considerable differences in accuracy between passing 'resnet34' and resnet34 to the vision_leaner.

Each of the options downloads the model from different repositories:

Shouldn’t both of them be the same model?

Thanks

1 Like

No, if you use a string, you are using timm models, whereas without the string you’re getting a torchvision model.

2 Likes

Hi, I need advice on how to handle large image files. I thought it’d be fun to try training a vision model with the data from this Kaggle competition: Mayo Clinic Strip AI. However, I am unable to do anything with the images without getting this error on my Kaggle notebook: “Your notebook tried to allocate more memory than is available.”

The images are high-resolution pathology slides (provided in TIFF format) ranging in size from 7 - 2829 MB. I have tried creating a DataBlock with a Resize method and using resize_image() to first save a a set of smaller images. I also tried using the following function to no avail:

def resize_and_save_images(filepath):
    img =  PILImage.create(filepath)
    w, h = resize_to(img, 512)
    img_resized = img.resize((w,h), resample=Image.Resampling.LANCZOS)
    filename = filepath.stem + '.jpg'
    img_resized.save(filename)

I run out of memory and my notebook gets restarted every time. Any tips would be appreciated!

Pathology slides are so large that they not always can be opened with regular tools. By the way, if you resize to 512, you loose almost all microscopic information. The typical pipeline involves transforming the slide to (a lot of) tiles, sized appropriately for further processing, and then reconstructing from predictions.

1 Like

Hello colleagues.

Need some help with rather broad question. I have some sample data in a form of files. They are categorized in two category - [‘benign’, ‘malicious’]. To prepare the data for Resnet learner I apply some basic function which turns contents of a file into 64x16 tensor of digits:

So. i have all set:

db = DataBlock(
    blocks=(RegressionBlock, CategoryBlock),
    get_items=get_train_files,
    splitter=RandomSplitter(),
    get_y=label_func,
    get_x=extract_features
    )

db.summary seems to say me everything is OK.

Setting-up type transforms pipelines
Collecting items from /mnt/ramdisk/data
Found 90000 items
2 datasets of sizes 72000,18000
Setting up Pipeline: extract_features -> RegressionSetup -- {'c': None}
Setting up Pipeline: label_func -> Categorize -- {'vocab': None, 'sort': True, 'add_na': False}

Building one sample
  Pipeline: extract_features -> RegressionSetup -- {'c': None}
    starting from
      /mnt/ramdisk/data/malicious_files/training/82c5b186a102632fb40c2bf89e9f0c68b229768d6e5e11e7fc0827171589a56f.utf8
    applying extract_features gives
      Tensor of size 16x64
    applying RegressionSetup -- {'c': None} gives
      Tensor of size 16x64
  Pipeline: label_func -> Categorize -- {'vocab': None, 'sort': True, 'add_na': False}
    starting from
      /mnt/ramdisk/data/malicious_files/training/82c5b186a102632fb40c2bf89e9f0c68b229768d6e5e11e7fc0827171589a56f.utf8
    applying label_func gives
      malicious
    applying Categorize -- {'vocab': None, 'sort': True, 'add_na': False} gives
      TensorCategory(1)

Final sample: (tensor([[0., 1., 0.,  ..., 0., 1., 1.],
        [0., 1., 0.,  ..., 0., 0., 0.],
        [0., 0., 0.,  ..., 0., 0., 0.],
        [0., 0., 0.,  ..., 0., 1., 0.],
        [1., 0., 0.,  ..., 0., 0., 0.],
        [0., 0., 0.,  ..., 0., 0., 0.]]), TensorCategory(1))

Collecting items from /mnt/ramdisk/data
Found 90000 items
2 datasets of sizes 72000,18000
Setting up Pipeline: extract_features -> RegressionSetup -- {'c': None}
Setting up Pipeline: label_func -> Categorize -- {'vocab': None, 'sort': True, 'add_na': False}
Setting up after_item: Pipeline: ToTensor
Setting up before_batch: Pipeline: 
Setting up after_batch: Pipeline: 

Building one batch
Applying item_tfms to the first sample:
  Pipeline: ToTensor
    starting from
      (Tensor of size 16x64, TensorCategory(1))
    applying ToTensor gives
      (Tensor of size 16x64, TensorCategory(1))

Adding the next 3 samples

No before_batch transform to apply

Collating items in a batch

No batch_tfms to apply

But when I launch actual training I receive some exception which is beyond my understading.

learn = vision_learner(test, resnet18, metrics=error_rate)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
Input In [24], in <cell line: 1>()
----> 1 learn = vision_learner(test, resnet18, metrics=error_rate)
      2 learn.fine_tune(1)

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/fastai/vision/learner.py:225, in vision_learner(dls, arch, normalize, n_out, pretrained, loss_func, opt_func, lr, splitter, cbs, metrics, path, model_dir, wd, wd_bn_bias, train_bn, moms, cut, init, custom_head, concat_pool, pool, lin_ftrs, ps, first_bn, bn_final, lin_first, y_range, **kwargs)
    223 else:
    224     if normalize: _add_norm(dls, meta, pretrained)
--> 225     model = create_vision_model(arch, n_out, pretrained=pretrained, **model_args)
    227 splitter=ifnone(splitter, meta['split'])
    228 learn = Learner(dls=dls, model=model, loss_func=loss_func, opt_func=opt_func, lr=lr, splitter=splitter, cbs=cbs,
    229                metrics=metrics, path=path, model_dir=model_dir, wd=wd, wd_bn_bias=wd_bn_bias, train_bn=train_bn, moms=moms)

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/fastai/vision/learner.py:167, in create_vision_model(arch, n_out, pretrained, cut, n_in, init, custom_head, concat_pool, pool, lin_ftrs, ps, first_bn, bn_final, lin_first, y_range)
    165 body = create_body(model, n_in, pretrained, ifnone(cut, meta['cut']))
    166 nf = num_features_model(nn.Sequential(*body.children())) if custom_head is None else None
--> 167 return add_head(body, nf, n_out, init=init, head=custom_head, concat_pool=concat_pool, pool=pool,
    168                 lin_ftrs=lin_ftrs, ps=ps, first_bn=first_bn, bn_final=bn_final, lin_first=lin_first, y_range=y_range)

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/fastai/vision/learner.py:153, in add_head(body, nf, n_out, init, head, concat_pool, pool, lin_ftrs, ps, first_bn, bn_final, lin_first, y_range)
    151 "Add a head to a vision body"
    152 if head is None:
--> 153     head = create_head(nf, n_out, concat_pool=concat_pool, pool=pool,
    154                        lin_ftrs=lin_ftrs, ps=ps, first_bn=first_bn, bn_final=bn_final, lin_first=lin_first, y_range=y_range)
    155 model = nn.Sequential(body, head)
    156 if init is not None: apply_init(model[1], init)

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/fastai/vision/learner.py:100, in create_head(nf, n_out, lin_ftrs, ps, pool, concat_pool, first_bn, bn_final, lin_first, y_range)
     98 if lin_first: layers.append(nn.Dropout(ps.pop(0)))
     99 for ni,no,bn,p,actn in zip(lin_ftrs[:-1], lin_ftrs[1:], bns, ps, actns):
--> 100     layers += LinBnDrop(ni, no, bn=bn, p=p, act=actn, lin_first=lin_first)
    101 if lin_first: layers.append(nn.Linear(lin_ftrs[-2], n_out))
    102 if bn_final: layers.append(nn.BatchNorm1d(lin_ftrs[-1], momentum=0.01))

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/fastai/layers.py:179, in LinBnDrop.__init__(self, n_in, n_out, bn, p, act, lin_first)
    177 layers = [BatchNorm(n_out if lin_first else n_in, ndim=1)] if bn else []
    178 if p != 0: layers.append(nn.Dropout(p))
--> 179 lin = [nn.Linear(n_in, n_out, bias=not bn)]
    180 if act is not None: lin.append(act)
    181 layers = lin+layers if lin_first else layers+lin

File ~/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py:85, in Linear.__init__(self, in_features, out_features, bias, device, dtype)
     83 self.in_features = in_features
     84 self.out_features = out_features
---> 85 self.weight = Parameter(torch.empty((out_features, in_features), **factory_kwargs))
     86 if bias:
     87     self.bias = Parameter(torch.empty(out_features, **factory_kwargs))

TypeError: empty() received an invalid combination of arguments - got (tuple, dtype=NoneType, device=NoneType), but expected one of:
 * (tuple of ints size, *, tuple of names names, torch.memory_format memory_format, torch.dtype dtype, torch.layout layout, torch.device device, bool pin_memory, bool requires_grad)
 * (tuple of ints size, *, torch.memory_format memory_format, Tensor out, torch.dtype dtype, torch.layout layout, torch.device device, bool pin_memory, bool requires_grad)

Help please.

1 Like

Something telling me this is due to data size of 16X64, but have no idea what to do with it.

Hello @Arzamas16 and welcome to Fastai!

I do think you are on the right track with your assumption about the size of the data being the problem. The default resnet18() can not handle a batch of size 16x64. Additionally, the default resnet18() expects a three dimensional image.

If you were to ensure that the input sample had the dimensions of [batch_size, 3, 16, 64] – the forward pass on the model should work just fine. You can confirm this by trying to run the few lines below:

model = resnet18()
x = torch.ones(1, 3, 16, 64) #batch_size of 1
model(x).shape

I’ll leave it to you to determine how to modify your dataloader to ensure the batch is the correct (expected) size for the model you are trying to use*.

*You could conversely try to instantiate a model that expects 1-D images:

m = resnet18()
m.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(1, 64, 7, 2, 3) #batch_size of 1
x = torch.ones(1,1,16,64)
m(x).shape

This way might be preferred – because it will allow you to continue to use 1-D samples.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@VDM Thanks for your reply! Is it possible to set up that sort of pipeline using fastai, or would I need to use different libraries?

Looking through the top kaggle contestant submissions, seems there’s a useful one here: EDA, images processing and exploration

It specifically outlines how to open .tiff files using:

• PIL
  • Matplotlib
  • CV2
  • Scikit-image
  • OpenSlide
1 Like

@estefyfb : there is a “medical imaging” component in Fastai but is only for DICOM files. You may use openslide that allows to access portions of slides without loading all in memory. An example is here: GitHub - MITEL-UNIUD/HE2HER2: This repository contains software developed to participate to the HEROHE Challenge (recognition of HER2 status from HE slides). (the path-extraction part).

3 Likes

Thank you very much for explanation. Now i have a vector of further thinking.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m new to deep learning and after reading the first chapter of the book I decided to solve the Spaceship Titanic prediction competition on Kaggle(https://www.kaggle.com/competitions/spaceship-titanic/overview).

The issue I have is I’d like to associate each prediction(1 or 0) in Transported_pred with the passengerId. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is the Link to my notebook:
https://www.kaggle.com/fumbanibanda/predict-whether-a-passenger-was-transported