Share your V2 projects here

Finally I finished building ImageSegmentation pipeline for a Kaggle challenge TGS Salt Identification. The solution should be able to get you to top 1 - 5%.

The solution is an update to my old repo, which is based on fastai 0.7.

Key Features of the notebook.

• Creating DataBlock (Dataset, Dataloader)
  • Model
    • Create FastAI unet learner
    • Create a custom unet model demonstrating features like
      • Deep Supervision
      • Classifier branch
      • Hyper columns
  • Train on K-Fold
  • Ensemble by averaging
  • Loss function
    • Classifier loss
    • Loss for handling Deep supervision
    • Segmentation loss
  • TTA - Horizontal Flip
  • Create a Submission file.

I wanted to record a code walkthrough and post it soon here. Posting it here so that I do not escape from doing it. Planning to pick up another competition probably quickdraw and build a complete pipeline. If anyone wants to join me on the journey please let me know.

5 Likes

Posting some homework from Zach M’s class which implemented Jeremy’s lecture (pt2 lesson13 2018) on Style Transfer (Gaty 2015) in fastai_v2.

See repository for full write-up: https://github.com/sutt/fastai2-dev/tree/master/style-transfer-hw

I trained most of these models around Feb 10th with the work-in-progress v2 library. I went back and duplicated the work for one the models today: the API is still in place and everything works but the results got a lot better. Perhaps just lucky seed, but exciting to see improvements emerge when you haven’t done anything :slight_smile:

23 Likes

After learning about fine_tune and trying to explore it further, I found a paper on coral identification inwhich they used Keras and a ResNet 50 for ~300 epochs and got an accuracy of 83%. Using some of the techniques from the first lesson, chapter 6, and chapter 7 (Progressive resizing, Test-Time Augmentation, and Pre-Sizing) I was able to get 88% accuracy in just 9 epochs! Read about it here

Edit: sorry it was a 404 for a moment, briefly rearranged things on the site and it broke the link

5 Likes

I worked to get U-GAT-IT working with fp16. It takes in a picture of a person, and then maps it to an anime image. (Cyclegan training in fp16)
Everything is currently a work in progress, but here is the results and a WIP blog: (btw looking for job)
Yes, all of this was done in fastai2. I have been working on it since October.

Ouputs

Inputs:

Edit: Forgot to normalize images, also uploaded input example.

32 Likes

Hey! :wave: I happened to be learning about Auto Encoders when the invitation for this V2 course came in so I implemented three experiments in v2: https://github.com/jerbly/fastai2_projects. This was a good way to learn implementing simple pytorch models into v2 (small enough to run on CPU) and includes a custom batch transform class to add random noise for the Denoising Auto Encoder. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is amazing! but the link to Medium is broken right now.
Is this based off a particular lesson in the series?

Nope, completely my own project. I think the link doesn’t work unless you are logged into a medium account.

These are amazing results! So cool

Larger than memory datasets

I’ve created a notebook to show how you can use np.arrays larger than memory. It’s based on np.memmap. I’ve used it to train a 20GB dataset on an 8GB RAM.

12 Likes

Does FastAI have libraries for Unsupervised / Semi Supervised learning. Any thoughts about doing a project in those areas.

1 Like

Look at https://forums.fast.ai/t/fastai2-blog-posts-projects-and-tutorials/65827 @Epoching shared his blogpost explaining fastai2 for semi-supervised problems.

1 Like

Yes! I’m open to any questions and I’m always willing to help :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, I don’t know whether this belongs here, but sharing it anyway.
I made a NotifierCallback that notifies you through almost any Instant Messaging(Telegram/Slack/ and more…), SMS, Email, Push Notification service at each Epoch’s end.
Callback Code:

class NotifierCallback(Callback):
    "Notifies you the losses and the metrics"
    def __init__(self, service_addrs):
        self.service_addrs = L(service_addrs)
        try:
            import apprise
        except:
            raise ModuleNotFoundError("Apprise module not found, Install it to use this Callback.")
        self.apobj = apprise.Apprise()
        for addrs in self.service_addrs:
            self.apobj.add(addrs)

def begin_fit(self):
        "Replace default logger with _notify"
        self.old_logger,self.learn.logger = self.logger,self._notify

def _notify(self, log):
        "Notifies all services and call the old logger."
        msg_body = ""
        for data in zip(self.recorder.metric_names,log):
          msg_body += f"{data[0]}: {str(data[1])}\n"
        self.apobj.notify(title="",body=msg_body)      
        self.old_logger(log)

def after_fit(self):
        "Restore old logger"
        self.learn.logger = self.old_logger

This is made possible by the awesome Apprise library.

Example:

telegram_addrs = f'"tgram://{bot_token}/{chat_id}" #Telegram Notification
windows = "windows://"  #Windows Desktop Notification
service_addrs=[telegram_addrs,windows]
learn.fit_one_cycle(25, max_lr=1e-3,callbacks=[NotifierCallback(services_addrs)])

There is a huge list of services supported by Apprise which you can view at Apprise Github Page

This is useful if you’re training a model that takes a long time to train and you need to do other work instead of checking often how your model is performing.

23 Likes

@vijayabhaskar Thanks for sharing!

Have you looked at knock knock by Hugging face? How do the 2 frameworks compare?

1 Like

Yes Sanyam, I’m familiar with Knock knock, but Apprise supports a huge list of services (50+), Knock Knock only supports a few(12). You can view all the notification services they support here.

1 Like

This is very cool, I wanted to try something like that myself. However from your blog I understand you were using batches of 3 256pixels images and still running out of memory on 2070 GPU?
In that case, as someone just renting a paperspace machine, I guess I’d better wait for more efficient algorithms or better GPUs to become avaialable.

Depends on the paperspace machine you get, from what I can see, the smallest Paperspace GPU still have 8GB of GPU ram, which is the same as the 2070, other machines have more again

Good point @morgan, I wonder about the training time as well. I might spend few bucks to see If I can run the code from the original paper on p5000 and get it to finish.

[Edit]

One NVIDIA V100 32GB GPU.
It takes 4 days.

Never mind then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used 2 2070S so I had 16GB in total. It took me about 7 days to train it. Though I used a lot of memory saving techniques. I personally do not know of a way to get it to train in a “reasonable” amount of time on a 8GB GPU. I think model architecture changes would have to be made to get it to work on smaller GPUs.

2 Likes

I stumbled across this project – might be a little advanced, but I wonder if a model could be built to automate / streamline this data labeling: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/rainfall-rescue