Platform: Paperspace (Free; Paid options)

Oh I see, instead of a separate coursev4 folder it’s now a folder within fastbook called clean. Follow-up question - how do I get access to the fastai documentation notebooks?

1 Like

I can’t get past Chapter 1 without the storage folder. Am I able to just make it myself?

No, don’t make it yourself. It is actually accessible, just not through the jupyter interface. The chapter notebooks should be able to access the folder, you just won’t see it in the interface for some reason.

1 Like

As of an hour or so ago, it still hangs me up in Chapter 1 due to that folder not being there. I skipped it as I’d been through both 1 and 2 before. I’ll post the photo sometime later today.

I am running into a ton of bad gateway errors with paperspace/gradient. Has anyone seen an uptick in this behavior? In fact the error rate is so high - I’ve been logged out every time for the past week - and each time, starting an instance - takes time - so this is really eating into my working time. If you have a workaround, I want to copy you.

OR - is there a way to take all the work I’ve done in the notebook that’s been assigned a free instance and move it to a paid instance ‘copy’?
UPDATE: So for some reason, I couldn’t change instances from free to paid. So I started a new notebook on a paid server first. Then I could see options of using free instances. I suspect this happened because my first notebook was public at inception. This is just a suspicion since that’s the only border change between files that Gradient doesn’t allow.

I think the files you keep in the /storage folder are available across all your notebook instances.

Hence, you don’t have to copy your work from the free notebook instance to the paid notebook instance.

If your notebook is taking a long time to start/stop, it probably means that you’ve kept a big file outside the /storage folder. If you move that big file to the /storage folder, then start, stop times will reduce.

Finally, files kept outside the /storage folder tend to disappear. The only way to ensure peace of mind is to put all your work (data + notebooks) inside your /storage folder.

1 Like

That could very well be the case - since the first notebook had the many bear downloads and such. My second notebook doesn’t have that baggage as I moved on with the .pkl file only, so, this could very well be the case.

I just created a Gradient notebook, was running into allotment issues with Colab. However, there is no /datasets or /storage folder on creation anymore. Can I just create one manually?

So they’ve recently upgraded the V1 instances to V2 instances. The /storage folder (and my advice above) pertains to V1 instances.

I don’t think you need a /storage folder anymore. But please confirm with Paperspace’s customer support (just to be on the safe side).

Paperspace has a habit of losing customer data. If you don’t want to lose your notebooks & fine-tuned models, then download your data to your laptop after every session. Even better, avoid using Paperspace altogether.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @sambit

Were you able to resolve this? I am still stuck at this basic step.

How do you get the folder “fastbook”. All I see is ipynb files for the chapters. Do you have a clean set of instructions for this?

Hi folks,

I am a bit lost. I am following the instructions for paperspace as mentioned in Paperspace Gradient | Practical Deep Learning for Coders but when I select the fastai runtime from gradient, I dont’t see any course material for v4. All I see is the ipynb for the course book. See attached image.

Can some one please help me get started? I just want to know first few steps

1 Like

This is the V4 course. It follows the book. Check clean folder for notebooks with code only. Happy learning!

Can you address the errors? I’m having the same issue too and instructions to upgrade pip give me a syntax error

What error do you get?

using

python -m pip install --upgrade pip
pip install -Uqq fastbook --use-feature=2020-resolver

i get:

File "<ipython-input-20-ce7bdc82cd20>", line 2
    python -m pip install --upgrade pip
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

if you want to run these commands from notebook you need to type ! in front:

! python -m pip install --upgrade pip
! pip install -Uqq fastbook --use-feature=2020-resolver
1 Like

thanks, that worked

Hi I’ve seen that some user are having the same problem I am facing currently with Paperspace, and I tried your solution but still I’ve got the same problem. Here is a screenshot of my issue :