Platform: Colab (Free; $10/month Pro)

Sorry for not being clear. I am trying to see what is causing the issue for @pnvijay. If he couldnt run the bash commands from terminal, my guess is that ngrok is not able to communicate the messages back to the colab server

Any way to store your work using this amazing hack @imrandude @deeplearner ? (i was not able to think of a way)
similarly i end up installing vim etc over again everytime i connect (not a big deal for the ability to use Jupyter Nbs) :slight_smile: Just wanted to know if iā€™m missing another trick from you guys :smiley:

1 Like

No apologies, entirely my fault :slight_smile:

Hope you find it, but with ngrok, nothing really for me to contribute.

By storing work, do you mean the changes you made to the notebooks or any new notebooks or scripts that you might create on the jupyter server? If so, then they should be automatically saved to the google drive location

1 Like

Are there someone use Colab pro out of US ? For example in France ? I see that itā€™s available now just in US but maybe itā€™s not very strict. Do we have some limitations using Colab out of US ? Thanks

Iā€™m facing issues with a custom notebook. It has around 194082 image files and Colab crashes most of the time. I guess Iā€™ll have to purchase pro

There are multiple reports that you can subscribe if you put a US Zip Code

2 Likes

Thats what I heard as well. You can use US zip code for the payment and it may go through

And, you can also directly upload to GitHub with JupyterLab Extensions.

1 Like

I am experiencing the same issue as @pnvijay although it used to work before.

@dhoa I signed up for Colab Pro from Germany, I just used a New York zip code, worked without problems.

2 Likes

My bank card is declined. Maybe they can somehow know where is the card holder

Try this colab notebook in case you have issue with the function.

1 Like

Thank you for the notebook!
Got the following error when trying to execute a cell:

ERROR:tornado.general:Uncaught exception in ZMQStream callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/zmq/eventloop/zmqstream.py", line 438, in _run_callback
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/tornado/stack_context.py", line 277, in null_wrapper
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 283, in dispatcher
    return self.dispatch_shell(stream, msg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 233, in dispatch_shell
    self.pre_handler_hook()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 248, in pre_handler_hook
    self.saved_sigint_handler = signal(SIGINT, default_int_handler)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/signal.py", line 47, in signal
    handler = _signal.signal(_enum_to_int(signalnum), _enum_to_int(handler))
ValueError: signal only works in main thread

Do you have any experience with the ZMQ library or the thrown exception?

I havenā€™t faced it, care to share a notebook to help you debug?

So this is the notebook I am trying to make a connection with.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/10JaYlQn_bt7ZVgFFSeqOCGWb4lFEDgSx

The error occurs when I open the ngrok link and try to execute any cell in a existing or new notebook.

Yes I confirm that I was able to reproduce the error while saving the notebook in ā€˜/contentā€™ folder.

And the error you posted seems to be pointing to some authentication issue, so I assume that Jupyter is not permitted to execute notebooks created in the ā€˜colabā€™ VMā€™s drive.

However I was able to create a new one in the ā€˜driveā€™ location and execute it without any issue.
Please try and let me know.

Unfortunately the error persists even when I try to execute something in a notebook that is placed somewhere in /gdrive/My Drive/ or /gdrive/My Drive/Colab Notebooksā€¦

Are you sure youā€™re not mounting inside /content ? IIRC thatā€™s the default mounting place. Which sounds like that could stem an issue if Iā€™m understanding this right

The folder ā€˜Colab notebooksā€™ is where Colab stores the history of notebooks you used with Google Colab. Please try one level up.

Iā€™m sorry for the confusion: I am mounting inside the /content directory.

I tried both, meaning inside /content/drive/My Drive/Colab Notebooks and one level up at /content/drive/My Drive.

EDIT
There seems to be a problem with some package versions, especially ipykernel. Upgrading fixes this but causes other problems which makes this sweet little jupyter hack unusable for me right nowā€¦ :cry:

WARNING: Upgrading ipython, ipykernel, tornado, prompt-toolkit or pyzmq can
cause your runtime to repeatedly crash or behave in unexpected ways and is not
recommended. If your runtime won't connect or execute code, you can reset it
with "Factory reset runtime" from the "Runtime" menu.
1 Like