New York study group

Hey I just read thru it. That looks very cool! Perhaps applicable to architecture geometry.

1 Like

Almost forgot:

1 Like

Related to our chat about deepmind last week, here are some impressive news. If RL helped solve this problem (it’s not clear yet), then this could be the first practical and useful application of it in a real world problem and I will have to slightly shift my perspective on it. https://deepmind.com/blog/alphafold/

2 Likes

Also, are we meeting tonight?

I can’t make it tonight, sorry.

I can’t either, apologies.

Turns out I have a meeting that will run very late tonight, so I may not make it, or I will be very late (and walk up the stairs).

Won’t make it today. Next week I should be able to come in.

For those who can make it, @iamgianluca and I will be around! And are, in fact!

Yes, the plan is to meet every Monday until the end of the course (and hopefully after that if people want) :blush:

1 Like

Apologies. My meeting finished late tonight. Hope you had a good meetup and see you next week.

Study group confirmed for tonight at @ 6:30 PM. Location: Farfetch office, 30 West 21st St, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10010.

2 Likes

I will be there! See you tonight.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
Following the NY study group sessions, some of us were thinking of setting up a more regular meetup with a new format, open to non-fastai students, starting in 2019.

One format that was discussed was a “Papers in Pytorch” presentation format, where someone each week chooses a paper of his liking, implements it in pytorch, and comes to present the paper, the code, and findings to the group.

@reshama @wdhorton you are the most connected in the ML meetup world of the group, I think - would this overlap with something that already exists?

Does someone have a different format suggestion or ideas?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Would definitely be interested in this.

3 Likes

That would be great! I was sad that our group would be ending just because the course wrapped up. And I think Papers in Pytorch is a cool idea.

In terms of other NYC ML Meetups, I think it would be sufficiently different from the ones I know of. The NYAI meetup is great, and I’ve learned a lot on a ton of different topics, but it doesn’t get as far into the details of implementation as what you’re proposing.

I also really like NYC Machine Learning—their talks are mostly about building machine learning systems in industry.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,
Happy new year!
@Descobar14 just PMed asking about the status of the meetup we’ve been talking about.

I’m pretty sure this thread is the wrong place to organize it - most of us don’t check the fastai forums that often anymore!

So, please join the slack channel by clicking on this link if you’re interested in discussing/organizing:

https://join.slack.com/t/nypytorchmeetup/shared_invite/enQtNTIyNDE0NDM0MTI4LWRmOGMwOGQ0MmZmOTU5MzBmZTkwOTQwMWJiYWUwNTk5OWI3NDc3YzZkMWQ2MDg5MzgzZWY5ZTM2MTUwYmRkMjM

Talk soon!

Hey folks,

If you’re in New York and interested in attending events focused on practical deep learning, PyTorch and fast.ai we’ve just launched the PyTorch NYC meetup. Please join and stay tuned for our first event which we hope will be happening this month.

1 Like

Hello to all,

A quick update. We have our first meetup planned in NYC on the 19th of this month. @wdhorton will be giving a deep dive into human protein classification using fastai and PyTorch. Here’s the link. All our welcome so please sign up if you can make it! Please give us any feedback on what type of events you’d like to see too.

2 Likes

Just learning about fastai. I’ve got no coding experience unfortunately but am very eager to learn and am working on teaching myself python right now. Seems I kind of missed the boat with y’alls meetups and study sessions for the course but wondering if perhaps anyone else in the area is just starting?