Live coding 3

I had the same. What I did:

• Run conda deactivate, this will remove (base) from command line
  • Now run pip install -U --user fastcore
2 Likes

I gain full access to Github without using SSH by using the Github’s personal access token.

To do this, enable the Advanced options when creating a new Paperspace notebook. Paste the personal remote repository URL of choice into the field Workspace URL. Fill out the Workspace Username field with the email address used for Github. Paste the Github’s personal access token into the Workspace Password field. See below for how to generate this token:

Note, I also linked my Github account in the Paperspace account settings.

2 Likes

I don’t know why but the documentation says you have to! I think the newer versions of mamba allow you to do ‘mamba activate tmp’.

1 Like

Thanks to Jeremy and everyone who participated, I followed along and it went well!

I also used Jeremy’s code to sign up for Paperspace and it was accepted.

Also if anyone has trouble adding a 2-factor authentication by barcode scanning it may be that you need to disable dark mode in Paperspace to scan the code with your android authenticator app (this happened to me).

2 Likes

Hello
at 43:39 Jeremy gets a list of folders after the ls /storage command but when i try i get nothing.
ls /storage -a shows me this . …
Also cd then ls => mamaforge

Thank you!

Jeremy says “there are already things in here because thats MY persistant storage”. The analogy is that your new Windows PC has an empty “Documents” folder, whereas your friend’s two year old computer has stuff in their “Documents” folder.

Note, cd on its own changes to your home directory. To clarify, try…

cd /storage
pwd
cd
pwd
echo $HOME

Keep working through the videos and you’ll flesh yours out.
Alternatively, much of the paperspace setup is summarised here:

3 Likes

Thank you!
Very helpfull analogy!
I realized that the moment when i felt i cant continue the tutorial was 49:00 when Jeremy typed ls -la and got a long list and I only got mambaforge because i typed ls -l .
I say this in case anyone is as new to this terminal/bash things as I am.

Did paperspace take away the free option.? I started with the free option and I am required to upgrade to the subscription tier after using it for few hours. Has anyone had this happen?

Personally I am using the $8 plan so can’t confirm but Paperspace still mention free tier in the pricing page so I think that’s still a valid option. Sometimes basic GPU instances become scarce so you’re required to either upgrade / pay for usage per hour / wait until a free instance is available.

at time 47:45 Jeremy executes the following pip install:
root@xxxxxxxxxx:~# pip install -U --user fastcore this installs python 3.7 and site-packages. When I do the same pip, it installs python3.9 and data-packages.

what should I do to get the site-packages? and/or drop everything back to python3.7. Paperspace pushed me automatically to python3.9. I did not execute anything that I know of to move to 3.9.

I also have python3.9 and dist-packages. It works fine on my instance. I can run fastcore.

Is there anything wrong with your installation? Having errors or something?

I have no errors. I have no site-packages. Do you have site-packages, or do you use data-packages as alternatives to site-packages? Please explain what you do.

I do the same thing as Jeremy did, and I don’t have site-packages.
However, I noticed that my fascore cannot be upgraded because it is already at the most upgraded version.

This is bad, because I cannot test whether my pip is working correctly or not, so I chose a different package. (Flask)
So, basically I executed pip install --user flask and import flask, and it worked.
To make sure my .local symlink is working, I close and reopen the instance.
And I can still import flask. :slight_smile:

Does this answer your question?

when I install fastcore dist-packages are installed
when jeremy installs fastcore site-packages are installed.

Made a mistake earlier I said data-packages when I should have said dist-packages.

I do not want to introduce Flask.

You can install any package you want. I was just using flask as an example.

I think what’s happening between dist-packages and site-packages is that paperspace now has different paths for python. I think Jeremy’s using python from /opt/conda/bin/python while I am using python from /usr/local/bin/python.

You can learn about setting up conda/mamba in live coding 6, and then you can use the conda environment to run pip, which will use site-packages if you want to.

I have wrote a blog on this lesson. I covered $PATH, how conda/mamba works, how to setup pip and git in Paperspace.

1 Like

Thank you for your help and I have reviewed your blog. However, my problem remains I do not get the same outcomes that Jeremy gets. I get an empty site-package after issuing:
ls .local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/

There are no files listed in my case while in Jeremy’s case fastcore etc are listed.

Not replying to RazvanA, I do not know where that came from. Sorry RazvanA.

Replying to galopy. However, anyone else that can help please advise

That’s interesting. I just checked mine and it has packages I installed.

What do you get when you do ls -al /root/?
And are you using pip install --user to install packages?

Let me start from the first ‘problem’.
I enter the following:
pip install -U --user fastcore
I get the following response: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/usr/bin/pip’

Anyone can jump in an assist…Thanks