Live coding 3

I’m confused that above it seems you had pip working, but below not.
What changed between the two?

pip install -U --user fastcore
I get the following response: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/usr/bin/pip’

Can’t explain the difference. Let me try another way.

When I install fastcore, I now have no errors. However when execute

ls .local/lib/python3.9/site-packages

site-packages is empty. There is nothing.

As a point of reference, on my paperspace account I see this…

Perhaps try GitHub - bencoman/paperspace-setup: Setup a paperspace instance for fastai

How did you get (base)? I did not get (base) And is that relevant? I do not see Jeremy getting (base) I will go back through the video again.

Actually I’m not sure about the details.
I’d have to research possible answers, like you could with: what does conda missing base mean.

I can only say the action I suggested worked for me overall. Perhaps you can report the outcome of trying that.

at 1:12:17 Jeremy keys in:
ls /notebooks/ and the notebooks contains git

I have no /notebooks/ directory.

where does this /notebooks/ directory come from? Can I create a /notebook directory? If so, how do I do that?

Its helps if you are explicit about which platform you are on. I presume you are on Paperspace.

The default folders are shown here… Storage and datasets | Paperspace
so I don’t know why you aren’t seeing it.

Can you show what directorys are actually in your root folder… e.g…

ls /

As far as I understand, the gist of your question is how to use desktop apps when you have a WSL setup. For that you have two options:

• Latest WSL has GUI support. So in theory you should be able to just install apps to your WSL directly and use them. While this could be a solution, my experience with it is not so great. However, I didn’t try this with JL Desktop or VS Code.

• You can use VS Code on your host with WSL support. This way you will be interacting with the IDE natively but it will be connecting to your setup in WSL. You can find more about it here