Lesson translations (2020) - help wanted

Very hard to change how I speak in real time - sorry! But happy to provide alternative expressions here after a lesson. In this case, the sentence isn’t very complete. I mean something like this:

Because of this you can solve nearly any problem, if you just have a way to parameterize a model (in this case, neural networks, which are totally flexible functions); and an update procedure which can update the weights to improve the loss function.

Thank you @init_27 and @hiromi. Both approaches are clear and work.

Any idea how to call back the full transcript for auto-translation after I upload a new partial translation? I get the English version only of the translated part

Thank you. I am glad to inform you that, we (I and @nareshr8) have completed the translation for Lesson 1 in Tamil. I have submitted the same for community review. lesson1_part1_tamil_captions.pdf (708.7 KB)

3 Likes

Fantastic @imrandude! And the Spanish translation is ready too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Through the YouTube UI? I am not sure. It’s definitely not the easiest tool to use.
I downloaded the English subscript file, made a copy of it, then started adding the translation (and I keep them in my private Github). Maybe you can try something like that? (sorry, I’m not much of a help :frowning: )

1 Like

The Spanish translation of lesson 1 was missing the last section. I think it’s good to go now.

what i did was i downloaded the transcript with the translated part and keep in locally. then i deleted draft, and started again, that way i had the new English, corrected transcript available in the editor and i could autotranslate it. i know it’s a bit hacky. Then you need to combine all the files in one file and upload to youtube.

1 Like

It’s not a lesson, but I added Spanish subtitles to the public masks 4 all video shortly after it was released. When I open a new session I only see the automatic English captions. Do I need to do anything else about it?

I think the video is great and it presents overwhelming evidence. Many people in Spain (including my parents) don’t understand English very well, it’d be great to share the video with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i think there is ‘switch language’ button and it should have draft of your Spanish translation. i say draft because i think you have to ‘submit’ them for the video owner (Jeremy) to approve, so they can be visible. i think that’s the process.

1 Like

I am on page 3 of 23 of lesson 1. It is a monumental task. I think I will eventually see the end of it, but we should get started on the other lessons sooner rather than later, or the Italian translation won’t be ready for when the course goes public

Indeed it is. Would you like me to create Italian auto-translation file when I run the lesson 2 transcript through to convert to Japanese? It’s literally just picking another language from a dropdown and I am already doing it anyway. From there, I watch the video, fix translation, and copy to .sbv file.

Let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, please. That would help. Thank you very much

There you go https://github.com/hiromis/fastai_japan/tree/master/Lesson_2

I will also put English sbv file there as soon as Jeremy uploads the one from the Google doc transcript.

Good luck!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @jeremy! (I’m sorry for @ mentioning).

Japanese translation for lesson 1 is ready, and I also converted the lesson 2 Google doc transcript into a text file here for easier upload.
Since I am not the owner of the video, it will not let me upload a regular text file as a transcript. Could you upload and publish it?

Thank you!

3 Likes

Hey guys, does someone know how to enable the auto translate feature while translating the videos? It was on during the 1st Lecture, but I can’t find it on the second one.

For lesson 1, I ended up uploading the generated transcript as the “English” transcript - which enabled the auto translation button. The issue with that was when Jeremy uploaded the actual transcript done by the other group, the timing became unaligned. So we are waiting on the official one to be uploaded. Hopefully, Jeremy gets around to it today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for confirming it. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey,
Because I didn’t find a good way to start the translation from the automatic translation, so I created a simple script where after I download the English subtitles, I upload them to Colab and translate them into my language.
The main reason I do this in Colab and not on my computer is that there is a limitation of using Google Translate, and if you happen to get stuck - you can easily change the type of notebook in “change runtime type” and then the limit is released.
translate_caption.ipynb

1 Like

hi @mhanan, your notebook is not shared

The Bulgarian translation of Lesson 1 is done but it needs some polishing and corrections to be finished.