Lesson transcriptions (2020) - help wanted

Sounds good! I will look into it and see if there is a way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@transcribe-1v4 - thank you to those of you who have stuck with this project so well! And for those of you that havenā€™t been able to - thatā€™s totally understandable! Nowā€™s a great time to get involved again and help out. Iā€™ve just published the lesson 7 auto-generated transcript:

Pick a paragraph, pop your name above it, along with ā€œstatus: in progressā€, and get transcribing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

great work with Perl, jeremy, thank you. It is a pleasure to help you, and it is amazing to see such great team work, divide and conquer, so upset that this is the second to last lesson. I donā€™t know if we can wait till September for the part 2 :frowning: you really help us a lot during this difficult time.

2 Likes

It looks like as long as the owner is not the one who submitted the transcripts, we can continue to improve. For example, I can still edit the Tamil translation that is already published:

BUT! Something only the owner can do is to upload the transcription with no timestamps. So maybe for part 2, we can just download the .sbv file from YouTube and people can update that (leaving the timestamp). So once thatā€™s done, we can submit it to YouTube and Jeremy can publish it. And because we submitted it, it will continue to be editable.

Itā€™s probably too late to change the logistics now, so I think what we can do is once all the lessons are done and submitted to YouTube:

1. I can download the sbv files that are processed and published.
  2. Jeremy deletes the published English CC
  3. I will upload the downloaded sbv file
  4. Jeremy will publish them
  5. Hooray, we can still edit them :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Hope you are not actually editing the Tamil text :smile:

Would that be a bit harder for the folks doing the transcriptions? I wouldnā€™t want to do anything to make things more difficult!..

1 Like

One cool trick for people doing translations, you can load the entire english subtitle file in google sheet and use ā€œgoogletranslateā€ function to auto-translate everything to your native language. Once you have corrected the text, we can modify the timings to suit active/passive voice issues.

For instance here, Iā€™ve translated from English to Tamil.

1 Like

It probably would be. We can always do this:

But I was trying to think of a way that would not add more work on your already full plate.

No sir :sweat_smile: I was just trying out one that I did not work on.

1 Like

i did a bunch of sections on lesson 7, (1:25 - 1:52) but am not clear on the hypertext instructions. how do i handle inserting the hypertext ā€“ link from TOC to document or vice versa?

If you click next to the link so the cursor is in the TOC, the arrow to update TOC appears on the top left corner. Looks like somebody already refreshed it for you :slight_smile:

Wow lesson 7 transcriptions got completed pretty fast! Got confused with when the transcriptions get uploaded and missed pretty much everything after lesson 2. Will keep a close eye on for future ones!

Congrats all on the great work on lessons 6 and 7. There are just 3 sections marked as ā€œin progressā€ in lesson 6, and 2 sections marked as ā€œin progressā€ in lesson 7. If anyone has a moment, feel free to jump in and finish these sections, if no-one else is working on them right now (youā€™ll be able to see if someone is editing them already)!

(@lin.crampton one of the sections marked ā€œin progressā€ in lesson 7 is one of yours, but the ones before and after it are marked as complete - perhaps you forgot to update the status for this one?)

my week 7 was done ā€“ just forgot to update.

iā€™m finishing up privjayā€™s week 7 now. i think thatā€™s the only one left still in progress

2 Likes

week7 all done now

1 Like

completed those sections of week 6 that were noted as ā€˜in progressā€™. according to the TOC, all of both lesson 6 and lesson 7 are complete.

4 Likes

Amazing job @lin.crampton - thanks heaps for all the work youā€™ve put into transcriptions for fast.ai!

1 Like

@transcribe-1v4

Last, but not least, Lesson 8, on NLP, is ready for transcription review.
If anyone can help with this last lesson, that would be most welcome and appreciated.

Hi,

has it been split into paragraphs? It seems a single chunk of text to me

Hi,

the text is divided into paragraphs (40 lines each +/-) now. Thank you for your contributions everybody.

PS: One thing, I donā€™t know if Jeremy has uploaded the Lesson 2 transcript, I was watching the video and the captions seem to be like the auto-gen ones, or is it something on my side?

1 Like