Lesson 8 homework assignments

On second thought, blurring it a bit may give a better output.

This is what I got for blurring the original image using a Gaussian Filter (size=2).
It has no much obvious difference other than the region between the fishes showing a broken pattern, which I kind of like.

1 Like

Yeah I think that pattern is much more interesting.

With all these things to tune, it makes me think that thereā€™s room to create a more interactive web app that letā€™s the user try out lots of knobs and dials to see what looks good. The trick would be so somehow give a very rapid approximate answer so that the user can try lots of ideas quicklyā€¦

1 Like

Can I also point out a questionable statement in the neural-style notebook:

The key difference is our choice of loss function.

There really is no difference in the loss function. It still is MSE.

I think what would be possibly more clear would be , ā€˜The key difference is transforming our raw convolutional output using a Gram matrix before we use MSEā€™.

Just an idea. Thanks.

EDIT! After some further thought, saying that ā€œTheā€ key difference implies that there is only one key difference between the prior content of the notebook and what is to follow. It seems that there are specifically 2 key differences ā€“ the introduction of the Gram matrix technique and the method of summing 3 sets of activations (i.e. each of the targs).

Thatā€™s just one part of the loss function. The full loss function is the layers of computation to create the activations, the gram matrices, etc. Just because MSE is the bit that weā€™re handing off to kerasā€™ fit function at the end of all that, doesnā€™t mean thatā€™s the only thing thatā€™s the loss functionā€¦

As Iā€™ll show in the next class, the latter is neither necessary not sufficient for style transfer. The use of the gram matrix (or something similar) is the only necessary piece for making the loss function do style transfer.

After significant experimentation I found much more interesting results when I changed the ratio of style loss to content loss by a few orders of magnitude and allowed the style starting point to slowly converge to the content image.

As an example the style layer below (my own artwork):

produces results that I would say match the palette but not the style of the image:

But when I modified the relative weighting of the content to be /2000 rather than /50 the results are (at least to my eye) much more indicative of the original style.

To get the final image I had to train for ~75 epochs, as opposed to the 10 for the first image, and the first few images didnā€™t really look anything like the content image, but by image 3 or 4 the faces began to emerge.

Hereā€™s my loss function for anyone interested if they want to try it out for themselves:

loss = sum(style_loss(l1[0], l2[0]) for l1,l2 in zip(style_layers, style_targs))
loss += metrics.mse(block4_conv2, content_targ)/1000.
loss += metrics.mse(block3_conv3, second_content_targ)/2000.

I did find that it wasnā€™t necessary for a number of style images, particularly those that were made up mainly of repeating patterns but for the most styles I consistently got better results with a loss function that focused on style and had a content loss factor that was several orders of magnitude lower than our starting point.

Iā€™ve read another paper that suggests that this ratio could be a parameter of the network, although Iā€™m not sure I understand how that would be possible as my understanding of this space is that we want a fixed loss function and that would change it.

Given that the output depends dramatically on that ratio it would be nice if there were some way of automatically calculating the ratio though.

Hereā€™s another example of the same image for fun:

Itā€™s worth noting that I tried this with much more sparse line drawing style images and the results were terrible, so it could just be that the level of texture and detail dictate the ratio and that could be a reasonable way of calculating it automatically.

1 Like

Could you explain this bit more?

Sure, iā€™ll give it a shotā€¦ Itā€™s easiest understood when looking at images.

With a content loss to style loss ratio of 1:10 the image generated by the first epoch is:

which already contains a lot of the details and by epoch 10 we have an image that looks like:

If we set the ratio of content to style to 1:100 we have an initial image that looks like our first style image:

and within a few epochs (3 in this case) we begin to see the content details:

and if we continue training for 25 epochs we still end up with an image that converges closer to the content, although itā€™s a little more interesting and looks like:

If we set our content to style ratio to 1:1000 we have an initial set of images that look nothing like our content image, for example this is epoch 5ā€™s output:

but as we continue training we begin to see the content image begin to appear. Here is epoch 10:

And here is epoch 25:

Training longer (75 epochs) produced the image I posted above.

I found it really interesting how much that ratio impacted the final results.

1 Like

OK I see what youā€™re saying I think: set the style/content ratio high, and then train for a larger number of iterations.

Thanks for the explanation.

Exactly. For highly textured and complex images (or at least for my own art) that seems to produce images that are much closer to what Iā€™d call the ā€˜styleā€™ of the original.

I think whatā€™s happening is that the slope of the content loss results in an image that is a local minima much earlier and that if you want to avoid this and find a more stylistic image you have to decrease the ratio in order to force the search to happen in the style gradients first. At least thatā€™s my intuition.

Conversely if the style image is really simple it seems like a low content to style ratio works better.

Iā€™m still interested in how to do this automatically. I read a paper that talked about the ratio as an input to the net, but iā€™m not sure that I like that solution both because the loss function becomes a changing one and because the minimum error doesnā€™t necessarily correspond to the image thatā€™s going to be the right blend of style and content. I think the rule of thumb of low ratios for simple style and high ratios for complex style is a reasonable starting point and could definitely be automated, but thereā€™s probably a more elegant solution.

That would be a very interesting avenue of inquiryā€¦ Tricky to know how to proceed, since Iā€™m not even sure how to measure success; it seems like a purely qualitative assessment.

Iā€™m thinking it might be possible to add the difference between the complexity measure of the generated image and the style image to the loss function.

http://vintage.winklerbros.net/Publications/qomex2013si.pdf contains a pretty straightforward complexity measure; essentially the mean pixel value after applying x and y sobel filters to the images.

If I have any time after finishing the lesson 9 homework I might give it a try.

Iā€™m trying to use your code to do a luminance transfer, but I was wondering how you loaded the ā€œ_lum.jpgā€ images into the model. The VGG model expects the input shape to have the three RGB channels, and the lum images have a different shape.

I tried a couple of things, including resaving the image as JPG hoping that would add back the channels, but that didnā€™t seem to work either.

print("ORIGINAL IMAGE")
img = imread('pictures/400_wedding.jpg')
print(img.shape)

print("CONVERSION TO LUV")
lum = rgb2luv(img)[...,0]
print(lum.shape)

print("SAVE AND LOAD")
imsave('pictures/test.jpg', lum, format='jpeg')
img = imread('pictures/test.jpg')
print(img.shape)

ORIGINAL IMAGE
(400, 400, 3)

CONVERSION TO LUV
(400, 400)

SAVE AND LOAD
(400, 400)

Any pointers on how to get this to work?

Thanks!
Jon

Couple things you can do (posted from phone and not proof read so caveat emptor):

skimage.color.gray2rgb - will work with normal VGG. There are similar functions in PIL and opencv if youā€™re using those.

np.repeat(np.expand_dims(img, -1), 3, axis=-1) will work too.

Or if youā€™re going to be working with a lot of grayscale images, you can modify the VGG model. If you sum the weights (+/- biases) along the channel axis of the first conv layer youā€™ll get the weights for grayscale VGG.

w, = first_conv_layer.get_weights().sum(axis=-1)

Why are we dividing the style image size by 3.5 and in the simpson style image we are dividing it by 2.7? @jeremy

From what I remember, the original Starry Night image was pretty big. Jeremy divided by some number (3.5) that brought it down in size to something closer to the content image. Iā€™m guessing the Simpson style image was also pretty big, but not quite as big, and so it was only divided by 2.7. A heuristic is probably to get the style image close to the resolution of your content image (although, it might be a fun experiment to use style images with very different resolutions than the content image).

1 Like

Hi @resdntalien, I think the random image that we start with has to be of same size as content image.Because content loss requires both of them to be same shape.But in case of style loss, the random image need not have the same size as style image as long as they are considered from the same layer.This is because we are using gram matrix which will have dimensions of num_filtersxnum_filters

@jeremy

Hi Jeremy, Iā€™m going through the MOOC right now and Iā€™m getting a similar issue but when I remove the /100 it still doesnā€™t work. My code is here: https://github.com/zaoyang/fast_ai_course/tree/master/part2_orig
https://github.com/zaoyang/fast_ai_course/blob/master/part2_orig/neural-style.ipynb

The only thing I have different is the requirements with Keras and I did some minor tweaks to make it work with the latest Keras. Any idea whatā€™s wrong?

In requirements.txt, it has my environment. Iā€™m tried this locally on Mac and on the AWS server with Ubuntu.

Conda environment:

PIP environment:

Both get this yellow image issues. Is this an environment issue or code issue?

@jeremy The other issues Iā€™m running into is the following. This is happening on both Ubuntu and Mac as well. I didnā€™t change anything. So Iā€™m not sure if this is an issue with changing from Theano to TF or another issues. Online it says that itā€™s bad initalizations of shapes but not sure what the issue could be.

indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
InvalidArgumentError                      Traceback (most recent call last)
~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in _do_call(self, fn, *args)
   1038     try:
-> 1039       return fn(*args)
   1040     except errors.OpError as e:

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in _run_fn(session, feed_dict, fetch_list, target_list, options, run_metadata)
   1020                                  feed_dict, fetch_list, target_list,
-> 1021                                  status, run_metadata)

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/contextlib.py in __exit__(self, type, value, traceback)
     88             try:
---> 89                 next(self.gen)
     90             except StopIteration:

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/errors_impl.py in raise_exception_on_not_ok_status()
    465           compat.as_text(pywrap_tensorflow.TF_Message(status)),
--> 466           pywrap_tensorflow.TF_GetCode(status))
    467   finally:

InvalidArgumentError: Incompatible shapes: [64] vs. [128]
	 [[Node: gradients_1/add_1_grad/BroadcastGradientArgs = BroadcastGradientArgs[T=DT_INT32, _class=["loc:@add_1"], _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/cpu:0"](gradients_1/add_1_grad/Shape, gradients_1/add_1_grad/Shape_1)]]

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

InvalidArgumentError                      Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-71-d733ab4b440a> in <module>()
----> 1 x = solve_image(evaluator, iterations, x)

<ipython-input-27-99c5991ad031> in solve_image(eval_obj, niter, x)
      2     for i in range(niter):
      3         x, min_val, info = fmin_l_bfgs_b(eval_obj.loss, x.flatten(),
----> 4                                          fprime=eval_obj.grads, maxfun=20)
      5         x = np.clip(x, -127,127)
      6         print('Current loss value:', min_val)

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy/optimize/lbfgsb.py in fmin_l_bfgs_b(func, x0, fprime, args, approx_grad, bounds, m, factr, pgtol, epsilon, iprint, maxfun, maxiter, disp, callback, maxls)
    192     res = _minimize_lbfgsb(fun, x0, args=args, jac=jac, bounds=bounds,
--> 193                            **opts)
    194     d = {'grad': res['jac'],
    195          'task': res['message'],

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy/optimize/lbfgsb.py in _minimize_lbfgsb(fun, x0, args, jac, bounds, disp, maxcor, ftol, gtol, eps, maxfun, maxiter, iprint, callback, maxls, **unknown_options)
    326             # until the completion of the current minimization iteration.
    327             # Overwrite f and g:
--> 328             f, g = func_and_grad(x)
    329         elif task_str.startswith(b'NEW_X'):
    330             # new iteration

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy/optimize/lbfgsb.py in func_and_grad(x)
    276     else:
    277         def func_and_grad(x):
--> 278             f = fun(x, *args)
    279             g = jac(x, *args)
    280             return f, g

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py in function_wrapper(*wrapper_args)
    290     def function_wrapper(*wrapper_args):
    291         ncalls[0] += 1
--> 292         return function(*(wrapper_args + args))
    294     return ncalls, function_wrapper

<ipython-input-25-95afa49bd58f> in loss(self, x)
      4     def loss(self, x):
----> 5         loss_, self.grad_values = self.f([x.reshape(self.shp)])
      6         return loss_.astype(np.float64)

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/keras/backend/tensorflow_backend.py in __call__(self, inputs)
   2227         session = get_session()
   2228         updated = session.run(self.outputs + [self.updates_op],
-> 2229                               feed_dict=feed_dict)
   2230         return updated[:len(self.outputs)]

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in run(self, fetches, feed_dict, options, run_metadata)
    776     try:
    777       result = self._run(None, fetches, feed_dict, options_ptr,
--> 778                          run_metadata_ptr)
    779       if run_metadata:
    780         proto_data = tf_session.TF_GetBuffer(run_metadata_ptr)

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in _run(self, handle, fetches, feed_dict, options, run_metadata)
    980     if final_fetches or final_targets:
    981       results = self._do_run(handle, final_targets, final_fetches,
--> 982                              feed_dict_string, options, run_metadata)
    983     else:
    984       results = []

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in _do_run(self, handle, target_list, fetch_list, feed_dict, options, run_metadata)
   1030     if handle is None:
   1031       return self._do_call(_run_fn, self._session, feed_dict, fetch_list,
-> 1032                            target_list, options, run_metadata)
   1033     else:
   1034       return self._do_call(_prun_fn, self._session, handle, feed_dict,

~/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py in _do_call(self, fn, *args)
   1050         except KeyError:
   1051           pass
-> 1052       raise type(e)(node_def, op, message)
   1054   def _extend_graph(self):

InvalidArgumentError: Incompatible shapes: [64] vs. [128]
	 [[Node: gradients_1/add_1_grad/BroadcastGradientArgs = BroadcastGradientArgs[T=DT_INT32, _class=["loc:@add_1"], _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/cpu:0"](gradients_1/add_1_grad/Shape, gradients_1/add_1_grad/Shape_1)]]

Caused by op 'gradients_1/add_1_grad/BroadcastGradientArgs', defined at:
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel_launcher.py", line 16, in <module>
    app.launch_new_instance()
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/config/application.py", line 658, in launch_instance
    app.start()
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelapp.py", line 477, in start
    ioloop.IOLoop.instance().start()
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/zmq/eventloop/ioloop.py", line 177, in start
    super(ZMQIOLoop, self).start()
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tornado/ioloop.py", line 888, in start
    handler_func(fd_obj, events)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tornado/stack_context.py", line 277, in null_wrapper
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/zmq/eventloop/zmqstream.py", line 440, in _handle_events
    self._handle_recv()
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/zmq/eventloop/zmqstream.py", line 472, in _handle_recv
    self._run_callback(callback, msg)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/zmq/eventloop/zmqstream.py", line 414, in _run_callback
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tornado/stack_context.py", line 277, in null_wrapper
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 283, in dispatcher
    return self.dispatch_shell(stream, msg)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 235, in dispatch_shell
    handler(stream, idents, msg)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/kernelbase.py", line 399, in execute_request
    user_expressions, allow_stdin)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/ipkernel.py", line 196, in do_execute
    res = shell.run_cell(code, store_history=store_history, silent=silent)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipykernel/zmqshell.py", line 533, in run_cell
    return super(ZMQInteractiveShell, self).run_cell(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2698, in run_cell
    interactivity=interactivity, compiler=compiler, result=result)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2802, in run_ast_nodes
    if self.run_code(code, result):
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2862, in run_code
    exec(code_obj, self.user_global_ns, self.user_ns)
  File "<ipython-input-67-de37f8a93ea6>", line 2, in <module>
    grads = K.gradients(loss, model.input)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/keras/backend/tensorflow_backend.py", line 2264, in gradients
    return tf.gradients(loss, variables, colocate_gradients_with_ops=True)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gradients_impl.py", line 560, in gradients
    grad_scope, op, func_call, lambda: grad_fn(op, *out_grads))
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gradients_impl.py", line 368, in _MaybeCompile
    return grad_fn()  # Exit early
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gradients_impl.py", line 560, in <lambda>
    grad_scope, op, func_call, lambda: grad_fn(op, *out_grads))
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/math_grad.py", line 598, in _AddGrad
    rx, ry = gen_array_ops._broadcast_gradient_args(sx, sy)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gen_array_ops.py", line 411, in _broadcast_gradient_args
    name=name)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/op_def_library.py", line 768, in apply_op
    op_def=op_def)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 2336, in create_op
    original_op=self._default_original_op, op_def=op_def)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 1228, in __init__
    self._traceback = _extract_stack()

...which was originally created as op 'add_1', defined at:
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
[elided 18 identical lines from previous traceback]
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2862, in run_code
    exec(code_obj, self.user_global_ns, self.user_ns)
  File "<ipython-input-67-de37f8a93ea6>", line 1, in <module>
    loss = sum(style_loss(l1[0], l2[0]) for l1,l2 in zip(layers, targs))
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/math_ops.py", line 821, in binary_op_wrapper
    return func(x, y, name=name)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gen_math_ops.py", line 73, in add
    result = _op_def_lib.apply_op("Add", x=x, y=y, name=name)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/op_def_library.py", line 768, in apply_op
    op_def=op_def)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 2336, in create_op
    original_op=self._default_original_op, op_def=op_def)
  File "/Users/zaoyang/anaconda3/envs/ml_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 1228, in __init__
    self._traceback = _extract_stack()

InvalidArgumentError (see above for traceback): Incompatible shapes: [64] vs. [128]