Lesson 4 - Official Topic

There are no plans to redo the NLP course at this time, but it is less than a year old and all freely available online: https://www.fast.ai/2019/07/08/fastai-nlp/

11 Likes

why does the loss function need to be negative ?

2 Likes

1 vote to redo NLP course soon :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Can you explain how the likelihood comes into play? I always thought likelihoods were related to fitting distributions

modification->multiplication

It does not need to be (quite the opposite, it needs to be great when the model performs badly). The log of things between 0 and 1 is negative, so we take the opposite to make it positive.

1 Like

why does PyTorch have 2 version of the same thing - like a class nn. and a functional F. version ? Historical reason ?

I think nn. is a class and F. is a function

You can hook into the classes. This allows you to run code based on a layer’s forward or backward pass.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, we have covered notebooks 01, 02, 04 and part of 05. We didn’t cover notebook 03 (ethics) which I am assuming it will be cover next week (based on what Jeremy just mentioned).

It was covered last week.

got it fixed :slight_smile: should we write the change? or?

Last week is next week, shhhhh :wink:

5 Likes

Jeremy talking about #Masks4All, love this. So much good work here. I will get back to talking on the Discord thread with some of the organizers there to help out with the lobbying effort.

There is a comprehensive answer on the Pytorch forums. The short of it is that nn modules have states and attributes, whereas F functionals simply perform operations.

5 Likes

hey @mario_carrillo, 3rd notebook was covered last week, you will find lecture and the ethics notebook cover more or less the same thing.
stay safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few of us are also daring each other on twitter to show off the home-made masks using #Masks4allchallenge, I invite you to take the challenge too :smiley:

7 Likes

Maybe https://discuss.pytorch.org/t/what-is-the-difference-between-torch-nn-and-torch-nn-functional/33597

I think that is actually part of the book :slight_smile: and it should be kept as it is.
It is just to show what can go wrong if you don’t Resize

Thank you another great class!

1 Like