Lesson 1 official topic

Hi Jeremy,

I think the non-beginner topic wasn’t created so I made one and updated the wiki-I hope that’s okay :smiley:

7 Likes

A bit of OT question: is it okay if we snapshot an image of the class at some point for a social media post? Given that it’s not yet public yet, I wasn’t sure

1 Like

What are the specs of your laptop that you can handle streaming, recording, and training a model :exploding_head:

14 Likes

IIRC, Jeremy has Surface Book 3.

4 Likes

I guess he is using Windows Surface … some variant.

1 Like

I was mostly curious what is the setup Jeremy has to have Jupyter notebooks as slides. I think it is this:
https://rise.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

12 Likes

How to use vision_learner to use latest computer vision models?

1 Like

Pass a string of the name of the pretrained model from timm… See the example at the bottom of https://timm.fast.ai

12 Likes
14 Likes

I’m one of the live TA’s. If you have any issues or would like any help…please “@” me and I’ll do my best to help!

13 Likes

Could be mercury → Interactive Presentation - a Hugging Face Space by pplonski

3 Likes

Jeremy says you learn best when you read the questionnaire first. Is this the questionnaire for lesson 1?

1 Like

To anyone that might feel a bit uncomfortable with the top down learning methods:

I had written extensively about my struggles in “How not to do fastai”, I cover my pains of someone who studied in university-of how difficulty it was to learn something in top down fashion :smiley:

We had also shared this in a “reverse” interview where Jeremy kindly interviewed me. I hope this helps :pray:

15 Likes

The questionnaire is in the book. Check the fastbook repo notebooks for the Jupyter notebook versions of the book.

Here is the chapter for lesson 1:

3 Likes

Yes, Jeremy said the forum was overloaded at the start of the lecture.

2 Likes

@n-e-w is it possible to sort this page by # likes? To select questions for pushing into the lecture?

1 Like

Thanks for your introduction. I saw both ‘bird.png’ and ‘bird.jpg’ in the presentation earlier. Just wanted to point it out.

Is there somewhere I can get more info on the project which used recurrence plots as input to DL? (mentioned by Jeremy in the lecture just now; I missed if there was a reference)

2 Likes

On the the topic of frameworks: I would love to hear how you feel about the JAX ecosystem and if you had a chance to play with it.

Thanks in advance!

10 Likes

Are you referring to converting timeseries to images etc?