Lesson 1 In-Class Discussion ✅

Use this topic to ask questions and chat about lesson 1. Be sure to follow the official updates thread:

82 Likes

great idea @reshama thanks!
just question on the course repo, it’s public on github, so i think anyone has access anyway?

2 Likes

Yes the repo is public, but I don’t want people sharing it.

5 Likes

I noticed that the chat option has been disabled for the live stream on youtube. So do we pose potential questions during the live session in this thread?

1 Like

Yup this is for in-class live chat! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@jeremy Any chance you could increase the font size a notch or two on the code portions you display? I previewed how easy it was to read the code in Part1 v2 from the back of our rooms where we will have 30-35 people attending and the font was a bit small from some seats. (We do have 3-large tv screens to display the lesson, but any help with the font size would be great.)

I’ll see what I can do. If it’s too big then code doesn’t fit. Most people will watch the lesson on a 1080p display on their own computer, and I want to make sure it’s a good experience for them.

8 Likes

Are the lessons will be available after it ends for those the timings don’t fit them ?

@Ahmed_Essam72 that’s been asked and answered many times, and is mentioned at the top of the FAQ. Please be careful to read the materials here before posting, and use the search functionality of the site.

8 Likes

I don’t know if anyone pointed this out yet, but there is a typo in the Overview page. “click docs and then dl1 in jupyter” should read “click course-v3, then nbs, and then dl1 in jupyter.” At least this is how it was for me when I was setting up through Paperspace.

Video works well for me!

1 Like

We can see ok :wink:

8 Likes

We can hear you ok!

1 Like

there is some background noise

If it’s ok at one place, we can safely assume it’s ok for all…
We can keep the forum clear

1 Like

To keep the thread manageable, please just post new & useful material. Going forward, let’s use the format of “Like this post if you can see & hear the stream” or “Like this one if you are having problems” in order to avoid duplicate posts.

I’m deleting some of the extra comments, although I appreciate the enthusiasm!

57 Likes

I was having problems with the stream. It was showing an error. I connected to a US server through a VPN and now it works fine.

NameError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
----> 1 help(untar_data)

NameError: name ‘untar_data’ is not defined

2 Likes

The Oxford IIIT dataset is huge… suggest you all to download now.

2 Likes

do you have fastai v1 installed?