0 Likes

How to Download a Kaggle competition Dataset in Crestle
Lesson 2 discussion - beginner
(javed.qadruddin) #2

I’m getting this error when trying to submit using the kaggle cli tool:
$ kg submit ‘output.csv’ -c ‘dogs-vs-cats-redux-kernels-edition’
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): www.kaggle.com
’NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘find’

Has anyone seen this before/know how to fix it? I tried pip upgrading kaggle-cli, but that didn’t help.

0 Likes

Do you have a Kaggle account, and did you set your username and password information (i.e., “kg config -g -u username -p password -c dogs-vs-cats-redux-kernels-edition”) ?

0 Likes

(javed.qadruddin) #4

Yes, I did the username and pass config. It was working just the minute before this error started showing up. I think I’ve figured it out though… I’ve probably hit the max number of submissions per day cap for that competition and this the error you get when that happens?

0 Likes

(Jeremy Howard (Admin)) #5

Could be - try using the FileLink() trick I showed in the last class to download a file that you can then submit using your browser. That way you’ll be able to see any errors that occur.

1 Like

(javed.qadruddin) #7

Thanks. The problem was that I hit the cap for the day. Now that the UTC day has rolled over, it is working again.

1 Like

(Sam Shleifer) #8

Did anyone figure out how to use kaggle-cli if you logged into kaggle through google.

3 Likes

(Samuel Ekpe) #9

#just compile this python code and use it to download the files

GNU nano 2.5.3                                  File: ../download_data.py                                                                           

import requests

# The direct link to the Kaggle data set
data_url =raw_input('Please enter the url for the data: ')
print "To download data from",data_url 

# The local path where the data set is saved.
local_filename = data_url.split('/')[-1]
print "To save as",local_filename

# Kaggle Username and Password
kaggle_info = {'UserName': "username", 'Password': "password"}

# Attempts to download the CSV file. Gets rejected because we are not logged in.
r = requests.get(data_url)

# Login to Kaggle and retrieve the data.
r = requests.post(r.url, data = kaggle_info)

# Writes the data to a local file one chunk at a time.
f = open(local_filename, 'w')
for chunk in r.iter_content(chunk_size = 512 * 1024): # Reads 512KB at a time into memory
    if chunk: # filter out keep-alive new chunks
        f.write(chunk)
        print chunk
f.close()

1 Like

(Alex) #10

I have used this trick with Facebook, expect it to work with Google, too. Ask kaggle to reset your password. You will recieve e-mail with three links, the last one allows you to setup username/password pair. Then just use this data with kaggle cli as normal.

3 Likes

I used w3m browser on my aws instance was much easier…install with apt-get install w3m and then use commad w3m “url” to get to kaggle and DL

0 Likes

(Maxim Pechyonkin) #12

I tried to to that, I was able to log in with my password and the website looked like this:

However, when I go to most of the pages, the page will load and will only display this:

I do not know how to proceed as there are no links displayed. Is there another way to get data to AWS?

0 Likes

(Maxim Pechyonkin) #13

As of today, Kaggle seems to have changed html of their pages so kg donwload will not load data even with the proper setup. There is a new opened issue on GitHub, which was not resolved yet.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get data to AWS from a local machine or directly from Kaggle?

1 Like

(Orlando Adeyemi) #14

@maxim.pechyonkin have you tried this hack ?

0 Likes

(Maxim Pechyonkin) #15

The issue has been patched, it works now.

0 Likes

(Dmitrij) #16

Yep, just need to upgrade the kaggle-cli package:

pip install --upgrade kaggle-cli

5 Likes

Heads up for people who run into error messages like the following :point_down:

reduce() of empty sequence with no initial value

I did some digging around the kaggle-cli repository and found this issue where the author mentioned that he fixed this in the latest version. It looks like the issue was resolved 7 days ago, so in case anyone is running an older version of kaggle-cli like I was, you can run pip install --upgrade kaggle-cli to fix this issue as well.

0 Likes

(Moshe) #18

This worked for me, I was getting this error “Node Type is missing find-all” trying to donwload the competition.
Youre suggestion to upgrade fixed it.
Thanks!!

0 Likes

(Sradhanjali) #19

I have used the same trick. Now I use the username and password in kg config command. But when I use kg download, it says ->

Starting new HTTPS connection (1): www.kaggle.com
There was an error logging in: The username or password provided is incorrect.

However, I can login to the kaggle website directly using the same user name and password.
Any idea what could be the issue?

1 Like

(Sradhanjali) #20

Even after doing
kg config -g -u username -p password -c dogs-vs-cats-redux-kernels-edition

I had to pass username and password in kg download command again to resolve this issue
kg download -u username - p password -c dogs-vs-cats-redux-kernels-edition

0 Likes

(Dhairya) #21

I’m still having issues downloading cats vs dogs using the kaggle-cli. Each time I attempt to download I get:
Warning:download url for file test.zip resolves to an html documentrather than a downloadable file.

and then the download aborts. Any suggestions?

2 Likes