Introduce yourself here

Hello! I’m Ali, and I am from DC/MD in the US.

While at University, I majored in Finance… but somehow ended up as a Project Manager for most of the past decade. I started to learn how to code ~4 years ago and luckily stumbled upon Fast.AI in 2019. I never thought I would be able to work on ML/DL in any real way, but I figured I could at least have fun as a hobbyist.

Fast-forward a few years and I just accepted an offer for my first full-time position in software development (working on ML/DL). This next week will be last as a PM (ever? :slight_smile: ) and I am still reeling from the shock. I know I couldn’t have done this without Jeremy and the entire FastAI family – I’m incredibly excited to be able to actively participate in the course this time around and hope to become more active in the community.

In my free-time I love reading, yoga and spending time with family/friends. You can find me on Linkedin or Twitter [although, I don’t tweet much – yet!]

8 Likes

Hello fast.ai world! I am Brett, from Missouri in the US. Here is what I have been up to: joinhallway.com

On the R+D front, I have been working with Jax the past year. It is an interesting framework. I have been training different ViT variants to better understand transformers.

More here: brettkoonce.com

10 Likes

Wow fun!!!

1 Like

Well, I just at-mentioned you on twitter so you might get some more attention there now…

2 Likes

Hi,

I am Jakub Cłapa from Poland (though my mother spent a few years in Australia in high school ;). I started out as a math/computers geek, got interested in physics, majored in Electronics, almost did a PhD by doing DSP on an FPGA and spent a decade building embedded systems using C, Python, JS, Scheme and later Lua.

Nowadays I am working on AI at Collabora (an Open-source focused software consultancy). My hobbies include programming languages, operating systems and in the last few years AI. I was fortunate to find the Fast.AI course in 2017 when we were integrating DL into a product for shelve monitoring in retail stores. It is by far the best course (both the 2017 and the 2020 editions) I’ve ever attended on any topic!

I try to tweet about AI here: https://twitter.com/jpclap I am trying to figure out the “building in public” thing thanks to generous support from my current employer. My first try is an investigation of funny artifacts in the receptive fields of ResNet18 and VGG16. This grew out of my recent interest in dataset quality assurance (how to browse and find errors in your traning set).

I am glad I finally have the time and resources to join the course live for the first time! Hurray! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi All. Michał here, fastai community member since 2018. Now about to tune in for the best lesson: Lesson 2 official topic ✅ - #3
Happy to be part of it and learn with all of you my friends!
twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/miwojcz

7 Likes

Hi Sanyan - Loved your interview with JH!

3 Likes

Hello all, what a great community. Happy to be here learning for the first time Deep Learning. My name is Ivan, and I live in London, Ontario, Canada.
My background is in Chemical Eng (M.Sc.Eng), working in the industrial water treatment industry for the last 15 years. Since last year, I am working on an R&D project to develop water quality field devices (colorimeters, spectrophotometers and titration units). This project allows me to work with machine learning, python and git every day, and I love it! My fast.ai course project (short-time goal) is to explore deep learning image processing from inline water spectrophotometry raw data. My professional and long-term goal with fast.ai is to switch career to AI and become an AI expert.
I am looking forward to talking to you in the forums and starting to collaborate.

I will be more involved in Twitter, soon sharing my learnings and career transition experience.

8 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Mat Miller. I work in the engineering and construction field and am based in the midwest United States. I’ve been through the course a few times and have continued to pick up more each time. I really love the teaching style of this course and am always excited when a new version is offered. The accomplishments I am most proud of that were a result of taking this course are a top 10% finish in the Data Science Bowl challenge in 2018, writing a semantic segmentation image classifier pipeline (including writing a custom labeler and data pre/post data processing from scratch) utilizing drone images - which I hope to be able to share at some point, and becoming a much better programer. My long term goal is to transition to working on AI solutions on a more full time basis. Several of the problems I’m currently interested in working on suffer from a image data collection problem, so I’ve started work on what I hope will be a relatively low cost 4wd robot that can autonomously navigate semi-rough terrain to capture data. I am on Twitter at @matdmiller

12 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Pravin Vijay and live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This is my first time diving into deep learning models (working on Data Analysis, BI’s for past 4 years - only exposure to ML has been Scikit Learn). I have been following the course since day 1 and did some work testing the models - but have been very passive in the forums. I have a chaotic way of learning - bits here and bits there then I piece things together for my goal - perhaps why I begin this introduction almost 3 weeks after the lessons start. While I realize the power of sharing, I just dont do enough - Will be making a much more attempt in being active and collaborative in my learning journey going forward.

My targeted project for this course is related to plants (I just love growing things) - I would like to build a model which can differentiate between weeds, plants and grass - as well as dive into each plant’s unique needs (much like the dog breeds I guess). Hopefully I am able to operationalize this through SBCs and automate plant care. Perhaps in the medium term also get much more useful data collection on how my interventions are working. My little garden which I spend much of my time (yet never enough of time) is my test bed. Looking forward to resourcing all of your great minds to making this a reality. Thank you for your time!

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m also starting to write about some industry experiences in ML/NLP applications through a newsletter/blog format. My goals are:

• Help people to interview and break into data science machine learning roles (I’m also actively thinking about how to improve gender gap, feedbacks welcome!)
  • Share industry experiences in applying SOTA methods to real-world use-cases, what I’ve seen that works well or not, what are really needed and where’s room for improvement.
  • How to implement these technologies at the level of decision-makers, how to sell these ideas in your DS org.

I’m taking Jeremy’s advice two years ago about “just start it”. :blush:
Thank you!

Example posts:

Angelina

4 Likes

Hey coders! I’m Kyle and I’ve been taking these courses since the first year they were offered. The problem is I took them to understand the content at a high level for my job, but never put in the time to really learn python, pytorch, and fast.ai under the hood. No more! I made a promise to myself to get to the point in my programming where I’m not just executing code but learning how to do all the more “advance” (for me) programming tricks. My goal is to be able to take part 2 this year and really dive into building the library from scratch.

Looking forward to learning with you all!

7 Likes

Late to the party here! I’m Yijin, currently in the UK. Started learning about and using fastai since 2018 (since library v0.7). And I ran a Deep Learning up-skilling series for ~20 people in my company (Arup) during 2021 Q4, using part1-v4 material, which was very well received by the participants : )

Always super cool to follow the latest iteration of the fastai course, especially the super insightful and creative discussions that happen here.

Not been using Twitter much recently; my github is here (I have a few merged PRs to various fastai-related repos! :muscle: )

Yijin

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Sourabh goswami and i am form India. t am working as Database Engineer currently and I am starting my Journey in DL on fast.ai. Super happy to be here

3 Likes

Hello all,
My name is Maureen Metzger, and I just realized I first took Part 1 in 2018(!)

In 2016 I decided to learn to Python. I had an advanced degree with some coursework in statistics, but I realized that the world was heading in an interesting new direction, and I wanted to go with it!

I stumbled across Fast.ai after completing a Python sequence and a Machine Learning specialization on Coursera. I completed part 1 and some of part 2, and found the biggest challenge was my limited Python skills. They’re much better now after 4 years heading research and analytics for a healthtech startup. I haven’t gotten much opportunity to use deep learning in my work so far, though. I’m hoping to rectify that by updating my knowledge and skill set.

My primary interest is NLP. I am particularly interested in natural language generation of descriptions and interpretations of tabular data. I’m sure that sounds boring to some, but it’s a very practical need in industry!

As a late middle-age female, I do sometimes feel like an outsider in tech circles, but I am inspired by the energy that all of you young folk bring to this learning community. I hope I can inspire some of you also - if I can do it, so can you!

Look forward to interacting with you all on the forums!

9 Likes

Hi all, seems like I’m late to the party, but reading all your intros made me want to write mine anyway.

My name is Kemal and I’m from The Netherlands where I studied Aerospace Engineering at Delft University (I noticed there’s even a Delft Fastai meetup group). I am working at ASML as Metrology Application Engineer. I basically help customers with achieving optimal performance using ASML machines. This involves data analysis and I am eager to expand my knowledge and skills through the Fastai course. Besides that I would like to compete on Kaggle.

Some links:

8 Likes

Hi I enjoy learning ai with fast.ai!
Received a bachelors in Business and Masters in Education.
I love hiking, guitar, reading classic fiction, photography, video creating.
I live in Bass Lake, California.
Thank you to everyone who helps out here, this is awesome!
Twitter @MikeHil79276101
Github MikeHill7

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I am Abhilash sarnad. I am a graduate student at Duke, pursuing master’s in AI.

I am thoroughly enjoying this course and totally in love with Jeremy’s style of teaching. Hoping to learn deep learning and build cool projects!

Would love to connect with y’all!
Follow me:

3 Likes

That sounds very interesting. I’m curious about ASML & the EUV lithograhpy machines being built there. Anything more you can publicly share about the machines & what it means to achieve optimal performance with them ? Maybe this discussion is better suited for one of the Delft Fastai meetups, perhaps see you here.

Hello, I’m Max from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I do not have a degree. I work as a cybersecurity analyst.

For the longest time I’ve been interested in ML and DL, and now that I have a holiday, I am spending it on the FastAI course.

I’m going to use ML in cybersecurity, both offensively and defensively. Then at some point, when my ML skills are decent enough, I plan to make a career change out of security.

Thanks a lot to Jeremy and the other course staff :slight_smile:

4 Likes