Fastai-extensions Package

I’ve developed some extensions to the fastai2 library that I find useful for a variety of purposes. This is now pip installable via pip install fastai2_extensions.

Repo: https://github.com/Synopsis/fastai2_extensions

There’s 3 main components to the library:

1. Interpretation

1.1 Label Confidence & Label Accuracy Plots

I’ve extended ClassificationInterpretation to gain some more insights regarding the model. For example:

learn  = cnn_learner(...)
learn.fit(...)

interp = ClassificationInterpretationEx.from_learner(learn)
interp.plot_accuracy()
interp.plot_label_confidence()

This doesn’t show any new information compared to the confusion matrix, but seeing the size of the bars helps me understand better which categories my model’s failing at.

It’s interesting to see with how much confidence your model classifies each category. While there is some literature suggesting that models are sometimes (negatively) overconfident, I think there’s merit in a model that has low accuracy for a label, but classifies everything it gets right with >90% accuracy. This is especially helpful if you have noisy data, and are training a model to get a feel for the dataset. A model that’s confident, but not accurate, shows that there’s some clear

As of now, these have only been tested with Softmax classifiers and will probably break when trying on Multi-label Sigmoid models. However, extending it shouldn’t be too hard.

1.2 Exploring Multiple Models’ Agreement (With Confidence Levels)

This builds on 1.1 and is made for scenarios where you’ve trained more than 1 model on a dataset and would like to explore how much the models agree with each other. The function compare_venn outputs venn diagrams for model agreement if you input 2-3 models, but you can also input 10 (or 100) models and get the filenames of all files that are common to these models.

interp1 = ClassificationInterpretationEx.from_learner(learn1)
interp2 = ClassificationInterpretationEx.from_learner(learn2)
interp1.compute_label_confidence()
interp2.compute_label_confidence()

fig,common_labels = compare_venn(
    conf_level=(80,100),  interps=[interp1,interp2], #interp:ClassificationInterpretationEx
    mode='accurate', # or 'inaccurate' for misclassified images
    return_common=True, return_fig=True, # return list of filenames
                                         # that both models agree on
)

This can also come in handy in cleaning noisy datasets, and exploring whether or not there’s a clear signal in your

1.3 GradCAM

Nothing new here, but all the functionality wrapped into a convenient class, and some plotting utilities to better visualise these heatmaps. Code was mostly borrowed from fastbook.

For example:

gcam = GradCam(learn=learn, fname=path_to_img, labels=None) #plots highest prediction
gcam.plot(full_size=True, plot_original=True, figsize=(12,6))

You can also pass in a list of labels, and max_ncols to the GradCam,plot function to keep things neat and visualise heatmaps for all your classes. More info on the docs.

2. Inference – Exporting Models

As discussed on many other forum posts (links to be added), I’ve collated code snippets from all over to build some wrappers to export models to other frameworks.

The ONNX wrapper is most stable, and the CoreML and TF wrappers are a bit fiddly. It takes care of ensuring that the ONNX model can be used for batch processing (not on by default), lets you easily add an acctivation function, removes fluff, adds input and output names which make for a neat visualisation in an app like Netron.

Here’s the function signature:

torch_to_onnx(learn.model,
              activation   = nn.Softmax(-1),
              save_path    = Path.home()/'Desktop',
              model_fname  = 'onnx-model',
              input_shape  = (1,3,224,224),
              input_name   = 'input_image',
              output_names = 'output')

3. Data Augmentation

I’ve implemented the ability to use PIL.ImageFilters as a data augmentation in the standard fastai pipeline. AFAIK, these are lossless transformations, thus a great choice. I haven’t yet tested to see how this makes an impact on model performance, but untuitively, I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

The library also has some convenience functions to read in a LUT file (commonly found with .cube extensions). LUTs are widely used in the post-processing world in both videos and images in color processing pipelines.
Here’s what a PIL.ImageFilter.Color3DLUT transformation looks like:

Code Example:

dblock = DataBlock(
    blocks     = (ImageBlock, CategoryBlock),
    get_items  = get_image_files,
    #####################################################################
    get_x      = Pipeline([PILImage.create, ApplyPILFilter(filters, p=1.)]),
    #####################################################################
    get_y      = parent_label,
    splitter   = RandomSplitter(seed=42, valid_pct=0.),
    item_tfms  = [Resize(size=224, method=ResizeMethod.Squish, pad_mode=PadMode.Zeros)],
    batch_tfms = [Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats)]
)

where filters can be just one or a list of filters. If it is a list, then a random one if selected and applied when the image is read from disk.

I’ve added sources in the docs, and will do the same in this post as well (finding them takes a while).

I’d love to get some feedback and would be thrilled if we can grow this into a community project :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Nice, yesterday I was asking in the study group if the models exported with .export need some postprocessing or something, I was going to dive in, guess I will have a look at the torch_to_onnx :slight_smile:

Ah interesting. If you’re doing inference in fastai, then the exported object is all you need. In the source notebook, I show how to export it to CoreML and TensorFlow as well (via onnx), in addition to inference in PyTorch (requires some basic preprocessing – might vary based on how you trained your model). This isn’t in the docs yet because I’m not super confident about it, but feel free to experiment :slight_smile:

1 Like

its too interesting to read.

1 Like

Very cool, thanks @rsomani95.
I tried the library (GradCAM) with multiclass classification model on fastai2 but it show the error
“TypeError: unhashable type: ‘MultiCategory’”
Any idea how to make it work with multiclass classification model?
Thanks

Thank you

Ah, MultiCategory isn’t explicitly supported yet. I should be able to do that soon, will post you with an update once it’s done.

1 Like

Hi @rsomani95 does your package allow inferences on the ONNX model itself? As in, fastai/pytorch/TF/etc to ONNX models and then run interpretations. If not, do you know of any work in ONNX runtime that does this?

Best, Hud

I have a version of fastinference which does this. Call in your exported learner to fastONNX and then run everything the same (learn.dls.test_dl, get_preds, etc) https://muellerzr.github.io/fastinference/onnx/

You can see which version to install here: https://github.com/muellerzr/fastinference

@hud It’s best to use the fastinference library as mentioned by @muellerzr above, it’s more geared towards your use case

This package is in a bit of a transition stage – I’m migrating to the latest version of fastai, doing some quality checks/refactoring and adding some new functionality. On the ONNX side of things, I plan to add support for quantizing some operations – this includes fusing together Conv + BN + ReLU operations into a single operation for noticeably faster inferece. I’ll post updates here as I make progress

1 Like

Hm, could it be that your examples are not complete? Which packages do I import?

For instance the example in https://muellerzr.github.io/fastinference/onnx/ gives the error 'TabularLearner' object has no attribute 'to_onnx'

The new export should be:

learn.to_fastinference`

(Note that I haven’t tested this in a few months so if there is issues I can revisit it here in a few days)

Yes I raised the issue at your github repo - looking forward to a solution!

Hi @muellerzr did you have time to check on the github issue https://github.com/muellerzr/fastinference/issues/26?