Error: No module named 'fastai'

When trying out the jupyter notebook, I tried to run the first two cells. Almost immediately, I got the error that there is “No module named ‘fastai’”. I tried following the steps for windows installation and am still having issues.

1 Like

Either you can create a symbolic link
(ln -s path/where/to/create/link path/of/folder/to/create/link)
to the fastai/fastai folder OR you can run your notebook in the folder where the fastai module exists

2 Likes

Another method would be to add the fastai folder to the PYTHONPATH environment variable

And another method is to add path to fastai into your notebook:
import sys
sys.path.append(‘path/to/fastai’)

1 Like

How do you do this? I stumbled on this post, but I’m a total noob how do I do this? I launch conda prompt, type in “activate fastai” and then launch my jupyter notebook and still no go? I tried switching the kern to FastAI Custom and still no dice, how would I impleement your method

you are using it on your machine or on the cloud ?

Yes, using my own machine

then just copy the fastai/fastai modules folder to the directory where you are working

Sorry, but how do I do this? Are you referring to the files from github?

yes , just copy them to your working directory

Replace the linux symlink with a Windows one (note that this requires an admin command prompt if you don’t have a fully updated version of Windows 10):
cd courses\dl1
del fastai
mklink /d fastai …\fastai
cd …

After that if still issue exists then do “pip install fastai” on ur conda environment

I am having troubles setting things up. Using crestle.ai and found that there already is a foldercourses/fast-ai/course-v3 which seems wrong, looks like something to be released in 2019?
So instad I did git clone https://github.com/fastai/fastai
But when I try to run the second cell in the first notebook I also get

<ipython-input-6-713ddf51e021> in <module>()
----> 1 from fastai.imports import *

To check path:
!pwd
/home/nbuser/courses/ml-created-by-me/fastai/courses/ml1
and
print(sys.path)
[’’, ‘/home/nbuser/courses/ml-created-by-me/fastai/courses/ml1’, ‘/home/nbuser/.anaconda3/lib/python37.zip’, ‘/home/nbuser/.anaconda3/lib/python3.7’, ‘/home/nbuser/.anaconda3/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload’, ‘/home/nbuser/.anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages’, ‘/home/nbuser/.anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/IPython/extensions’, ‘/home/nbuser/.ipython’]

Since pwd is in sys.path shouldn’t it work?
Or is the problem something to do with that in crestle jupyter is started via the webpage (a button)?
Thank you

I am having the same problems as in this article. Why is it so hard to setup?

1 Like