Can no longer create a Google Cloud instance

I have no idea what’s wrong. I’m trying to set up an instance (as I have done many times before) and I get this error in Terminal (using a Mac):

“export: not valid in this context: pytorch-latest-cpu”

1 Like

Have you tried this:

AI Platform -> Notebooks -> Create Instance

Rather than going to

Compute Engine -> VM Instances -> Create Instance

I’ve found that this is a much easier way to get a vm and notebook going.

I’m also having this exact issue. Also using a Mac.

can you elaborate on this method? is there a command you enter in terminal?

Hey @centauri @wcneill , the way that I eventually ended up solving this was to create and use a brand new non-preemptible instance. There seemed (at least a week ago, I haven’t checked recently) to be a serious issue with preemptible instances in GCP. So I’m apparently forced to use a more expensive instance. Oh well.

@centauri

Here are the exact steps:

1. Click the navigation drop down menu in the upper left hand corner
  2. Scroll down almost all the way to the bottom
  3. Find “AI Platform” and hover on it
  4. From the pop-up menu, click “Notebooks”
  5. Follow the prompts to create a notebook instance. It’s as easy as choosing your zone, which GPU you want to use and which memory scheme you want to use and clicking “Create”.
  6. The notebook instance will be saved. Select it, click start, wait for a second and then click on “Jupyter Lab”, and it will automatically start the notebook for you.

That’s all there is to it.

Keep in mind a Compute VM instance will also be created (It will have the same name as your notebook instance). Later, if you wish to use Jupyter Notebook instead, you need only go to your VM-Instance, click “Run”, and then type this in your command line:

gcloud compute ssh --zone=[zone here] jupyter@[vm instance name] -- -L 8080:localhost:8080

This will start Jupyter Notebook at http://localhost:8080/tree and Jupyter Lab at http://localhost:8080/lab so that you can use either one you want.