About the Part 1 (2020) category

Pro-Tip, if you’d like to hide the Study group threads:

Please select None in the list of sub-categories in Part 1(2020)

3 Likes

for fastai Live if we miss the live stream will we get access to the you tube video only in July or will it be uploaded the same week?
Thank you :slight_smile:

We’re going to start in two weeks!! Can’t wait :grin:

1 Like

Hard luck for me.

I de boarded my plane last second.

I hope I get to meet Jeremy someday. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi. I see that all notebooks are already online and seem to be the sames as the fastai v3 ones (2018) but updated with fastai v2. My question: does it mean that the logic of the course will be the same?

(slide from the fastai course Part 1 2019)

1 Like

No, the course will be based on this: https://github.com/fastai/fastbook

9 Likes

We were planning to run a weekly in-person watch party and study group in Bengaluru, but due to Covid-19, we have now decided to do it online. I’m sharing our approach below, hoping others may find it useful.

Here’s what we’re doing:

• We’re announcing a recurring event on our Meetup & Slack groups, for each week’s virtual study group, and collecting signups (limiting it to ~100 people).
  • Every week, we plan to re-stream the lecture video over Zoom to the virtual study group (without revealing or sharing the video link)
  • We will collect the questions from the group, and post them to the official forum thread here after the lecture ends.
  • We will have another Zoom call over the weekend, where we’ll review & discuss the material from the lecture, give others an opportunity to showcase what they’re working on and share answers to the questions that were posted.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone, since the course is about to start, I’ve “soft-released” (for the fastai family) my interview with Sylvain.

If you’re curious to know more about the course, the book and fastai2, check it out here: https://forums.fast.ai/t/ama-interview-with-sylvain-gugger-chai-time-data-science-podcast/62103/5?u=init_27

11 Likes

@jeremy Do we need a “share your work” post for this course like you have done in the past?

1 Like

Hi @aakashns. I’m a new user of Zoom. Could you tell me how to do that? (and if you know an online guide about Zoom, could you share the link? Many thanks)

2 Likes

Hello. I can see that some of you have already created a local study group and will use online tools like zoom, slack, telegram, etc.

On my side, I would like to use this forum but as Jeremy said, it will not be opened until the official release of course videos. Then, I plan to install a Discourse Forum somewhere as I think it is the best online working tool for a DL group (github of Discourse).

Some of you have an experience of that? Even better, if you know a Discourse Forum about DL where I could create threads for my local group, could you share the link please? Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

why not to create them here on the open part of fastai forums?

Yes but where? @jeremy, if you think that is possible, could you tell us where. If not, I would understand as the course is not officialy online.

I can’t see a way to do it here.

Do you think it will work well to stream video as a screen share via Zoom?

Hi @pierreguillou, Zoom is a pretty simple & intuitive video conferencing app. All you need to do is download the Desktop application, start a meeting and share the link with participants. It support screen share and live chat, so it’s quite well suited for study groups. Give it a a shot, and let me know if you face any issues during setup, I’d be happy to assist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m hoping it should work out fine with a fast internet connection. I will share my experience here after the event (later today).

https://forums.fast.ai/t/bengaluru-india-watch-party-virtual-study-group/65327

@aakashns I’ll look forward to your update since I’d like to use a similar method for our study group to go virtual.

Hi @pierreguillou please let me know if you find a Discourse platform we could use for the TWiML Study Group