About the Machine Learning category

(Jeremy Howard) #1

Welcome to Introduction to Machine Learning for Coders! Please use this category for any questions, issues, comments (and of course answers!) related to this course.

Wiki links

Lesson resources

Course notes from hiromi

Unofficial course notes

Official MOOC launch today!
(Prince Grover) #2

Just curious, is fastai library also available with ~ pip install … ?
I checked but couldn’t install it. Guess it’s not accessible using pip.

(Jeremy Howard) #3

Nope, it’s not.

(Danai Avgerinou) #4

I was trying to move files from AWS to my computer and the other way around. I tried this,

scp –i path/mypem.pem –r path/myfile.py ubuntu@ec2-54-190-113-250.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:~

but I get the following error
Permission denied (publickey).
lost connection

even though my path for the file is fine. After some search in the web I tried this,

scp –i path/mypem.pem –r path/myfile.py ubuntu@ec2-54-190-113-250.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com aws dns name:~

which gave me another error

ssh: Could not resolve hostname name: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
lost connection

Did anyone encounter anything similar? Any suggestion?

(Prince Grover) #5

Have you tried ‘sudo scp -i …’?

(Danai Avgerinou) #6

Yes and I get the exact same error about permissions

(parrt) #7

You have to reverse the order of the source and target arguments to that SCP command. It also matters whether you do it from your laptop or the AWS computer. Do it from your laptop and reverse the order of the arguments. Your laptop does not have the SSH port open probably

(Shikhar Gupta) #8

scp -i shikhar.pem ec2-user@ec2-54-213-11-248.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:~/data_aws/abc.csv ~/data_local/
this worked for me @Danai

(Danai Avgerinou) #9

Thank you! Got it

(Igor Kasianenko) #12

I’d like to report typo in http://www.fast.ai/2018/09/26/ml-launch/ post:
Lesson 1: “Bull Book for Bulldozers” Kaggle competition,
should be Blue Book

How to use the model we trained on a training set to predict dependent variables in a test set?

If I do m.predict(X_test) on the testing set downloaded from Kaggle, I get an error saying values are stored as string.

I thought that once your had a model you could use it to predict any new data rows whose dependent variable is unknown. How do we use models to predict unknown values then?

(SA) #14

Sir, if the ML course is based on the older version of fastai library then will I be at a disadvantage? Is their going to be an ML course with fastai library v1?
I started the ML course, and will watch the archived versions of DL1 v3 (since it will be 6:30 in the morning and I have to attend college).
My only worry is concerning the older versions of the library.