Visualizing ResNet18 Activations

Full Notebook on GitHub.

In Lecture 10 we looked at a few approaches to using hooks and plotting information about means and standard deviations of our network’s activations.

This seems like it might be useful as a debugging strategy or sanity check on real-world models, so I wanted to try to instrument my own network. For simplicity’s sake I chose to ResNet-18 against the MNIST dataset.

The structure of ResNet-18 looks like:

I’ve chosen to instrument conv1, conv2_x, conv3_x, conv4_x, and conv5_x.

I ran .fit() for 3 epochs using a learning rate of 1e-2. I used a validation size of 50% because the graphs start to get too wide if there are too many items in the training set.

Pretrained (Frozen) ResNet-18 Activations

Trains to an error rate of 0.033000

Untrained ResNet-18 Activations

Trains to an error rate of 0.034486

Some thoughts

• Both train to comparable error rates, despite having what appear to be wildly different activations
  • All of the layers of the untrained model change considerably from where they started

Let’s Break the Pretrained ResNet-18 Model

Out of curiosity, what happens if we use learning rates that are too large.

Trained with a learning rate of 1 to an error rate of 0.808114

Let’s Break the Untrained ResNet-18 Model

Out of curiosity, what happens if we use learning rates that are too large.

Trained with a learning rate of 1 to an error rate of 0.898943

The untrained model’s weights descend into some kind of pattern. In general it looks like most of the activations are collapsing to values closer to zero.

6 Likes

I built this partly out of interest but partly because I hoped it might help me debug/improve my own neural networks. It turns out it did!

I’m working on a Kaggle contest using CNNs against audio spectrograms. I ran my network with:

learn = cnn_learner(data, models.resnet18, pretrained=False, metrics=[f_score])
learn.unfreeze()
learn.fit_one_cycle(10, max_lr=slice(1e-6,1e-2))

Visualizing the activations:

Right away something seems wrong with the first convolutional layer. It looks like very few activations have a high value and most are clustered around zero.

I gave this some thought and realized it was probably because I was using discriminative learning rates. This particular Kaggle contest doesn’t let us use pre-trained models and I was just in auto-pilot from all of my previous work/contests.

I changed the learning rate as follows:

learn.fit_one_cycle(10, max_lr=(1e-2))

Visualizing the weights:

This looks much better! It seems like it will improve things as my f1score improved from 0.238104 to 0.468753 with a corresponding improvement in loss.

After making this single change:

20 Likes

Really interesting, and as you pointed out, also useful to debug and understand what is happening in the learning process.

BTW, good luck with the competition, I’m currently sitting at the 4th place without having ever touched to audio and without doing this kind of analysis, so I’m confident that you can get even better result than me :smiley:

how you would interpret from graphs about the density of values
. I mean what does yellow shade and purple shed interpret to…

how you would interpret from graphs about the density of values
. I mean what does yellow shade and purple shed interpret to…

The x-axis represents time.

The y-axis represents the magnitude of the activations. Yellow represents “A lot of activations at this magnitutde” while blue represents “Not very many activations at this magnitutde”. At the beginning of training you can see that the upper portions of the plot are mostly blue, meaning that most activations are around 0.

BTW, good luck with the competition, I’m currently sitting at the 4th place without having ever touched to audio and without doing this kind of analysis, so I’m confident that you can get even better result than me :smiley:

4th place, that’s awesome!

I’ve actually never done anything with audio either so I don’t share your confidence quite yet haha. I haven’t incorporated the noisy dataset at all yet so I’m hoping there’s still a lot of room for improvement.

If you’re ever interested in teaming up on a competition feel free to let me know.

Cheers,
Josh

Yeah, using that noisy data + ensembling has been my secret weapon for now, the rest is almost copy-pasted from the planet notebook.

Sure ! That’s a great idea, I’m more confident on working with images, so when a new competition is released, why not team up :slight_smile:

This is very nice Josh, thanks! I wonder if there’s some way to programatically include this info during model training; maybe using the callback structure to check the “activation density” and adjust the LR accordingly…

@JoshVarty, @NathanHub, just so you know there’s a group of people talking about fastai for audio over on the Deep Learning with Audio Thread - pop in and check it out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just coded the callbacks for this yesterday ! Check out this thread:

1 Like

Are the third and fourth plots activations or weights?

@immaried Sorry, they’re all supposed to represent activations. I mistakenly referred to them as “weights” and can’t edit the post since it’s been so long.

1 Like