Vid 1 2019, The Audio, what's up with the audio :)

I am super excited that the new videos are out! Thank you! :slight_smile:
Now, I began to watch the first one and I agree with another comment below the youtube vid:

The content as usual is 100% wonderful but: The Audio quality is… not very good, like real bad basically :slight_smile:

It may seem like a minor issue but it’s not; Audio matters much more than the Visuals in this kind of material; please please dear Fast.ai, get people who understand Audio to help you record the lessons, Audio IS 90% of these kind of vids. As most people know, what separates professional from amateur videos and movies is the Audio, not the visuals; in my case as I Iived in different English speaking countries I understand the audio (although as a filmmaker+engineer It’s really painful listening to this quality of audio), but part of the international audience with less English exposure may struggle and not get enough from the vids because of the audio quality which is such a pity because this is such amazing and unique material! anyway maybe its all changed in Vid 2 who knows :wink:

Apart from that very excited the new vids are out, and looking forwards to learning more and more with Fast.ai, congrats and thank you :smiley:

one of the different issues with the audio is that what feels like a noise gate was applied to the audio, applied too strongly, like far, far too powerfully, it got rid of a lot of frequencies in the audio, and there’s plenty of distorsion left in the remaining ones, etc, etc

all that being said, I just finished watching the first vid of V3 and it’s totally fantastic as usual, really loved it and I look forward to going through the rest of the new version of the course, congrats again :wink:

We are aware of lesson 1 video quality when we attended the course live. How about the audio quality for the other lessons?

Fret not, if you are not aware, we have a detailed set of lesson notes by hiromi as a fallback: https://github.com/hiromis/notes

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Cedric, haven’t yet seen the next vids of the v3, will soon check :wink:
and thank you very much for the Hiromi notes, they look amazing! :slight_smile:

The audio quality improves throughout the course. From lesson 4 we had a direct audio feed from the main mic.

2 Likes

that’s great news thank you :wink:

Lessons 1 , 2 and 3 have low audio. Lesson 4 & 7 almost none:

I’m not sure if I’m looking in the right place, or if these have officially been released, apologies in advance if not.

Regards
Simon

so a good project would be to make a deep audioenhancer :slight_smile:

I was wondering if there was a way to download the video extract the audio and fix it using Audacity or something like that? I wouldn’t even know where to start and what filter to apply, but I was really thinking of doing that it is a bit disconcerting.

friends, I have now watched the 7 lessons of part 1 of V3, and to be honest I didn´t really have any problems anymore with the audio, from lesson 2 onwards I found it to be quite ok, for sure it can be improved but I could hear it ok, fast.ai rocks :wink: