Value of google cloud Preemptive Instance

I have not been able to spend more than 2 mins on lesson3-planet without the notebook disconnecting. This is my first time diving deep into this subject and it’s very frustrating having to go back to go back and restart the VM Instance most of the time.

Am I doing something wrong?

I followed the instructions and used the google cloud option for GPU. I have been able to get through a couple of lessons and always had to restart the instance. It just seems to be getting a lot worse.

I searched the forum but could not find a thread that gave me the best option to pursue.

Do I need to leave google cloud or subscribe to a difference service on google cloud to stop the instances from being terminated?

Thank you for your help.

Hi fernfialho Hope all is well!

If I were in your position and I had timed the the sessions with a stop watch and they really only lasted 2 minutes. (not sure if 2 mins is a figure of speech or you actually time it :smiley:)

I would try Colab, its free and you could have google cloud and Colab notebooks running in browsers in different windows and decide if Colab is better than google cloud.

I use Colab which I believe times out after 90 minutes.
Someone on the forum suggested this Part 1, online study group as a possible fix to timeout issues.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Hey @mrfabulous1 thank you for your reply. I think Google Cloud must have been listening to me because I had no issues with timeouts yesterday. I wonder if it had to do with the fact that I was uploading files to the instance for the first 30 mins (vs. slowly running code) and my “priority ranking” improved. I’m assuming I’ll run into the issues again. :slight_smile: so I will def check out Colab and the online study group you suggested.

Cheers!

1 Like