Using F.dropout to copy parameters

I was looking at the code for AWD LSTMs (shown below) and was confused about the use of F.dropout with training=False.

WEIGHT_HH = 'weight_hh_l0'

class WeightDropout(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, module, weight_p=[0.], layer_names=[WEIGHT_HH]):
        super().__init__()
        self.module,self.weight_p,self.layer_names = module,weight_p,layer_names
        for layer in self.layer_names:
            #Makes a copy of the weights of the selected layers.
            w = getattr(self.module, layer)
            self.register_parameter(f'{layer}_raw', nn.Parameter(w.data))
            self.module._parameters[layer] = F.dropout(w, p=self.weight_p, training=False)

def _setweights(self):
        for layer in self.layer_names:
            raw_w = getattr(self, f'{layer}_raw')
            self.module._parameters[layer] = F.dropout(raw_w, p=self.weight_p, training=self.training)

I asked the question on github and the answer was that it was to initially copy the weights to its ‘_raw’ version.

So my questions are:

1. Why use F.dropout with training=False. Can’t you simply do self.module._parameters[layer] = w.clone().
  2. Do you even need to copy the weights across like this because getattr(self.module, layer) is exactly the same as self.module._parameters[layer]. Rendering the last line in __init__ unnecessary?
  3. What is the purpose of having a weight_hh_l0_raw version? Is it because the line self.module._parameters[layer] = F.dropout(raw_w, p=self.weight_p, training=self.training) overwrites the weights and you want to preserve the weights?

The purpose of weight drop is to apply dropout to the model weights as opposed to the activations. When we do this, we want a single dropout mask to be applied at all time steps. The WeightDropout class saves a copy of the true weights, then applies a single dropout mask to the weights on every forward pass.

Hey Karl. Thanks for answering but I’m afraid this doesn’t answer my question. I know what weightDropout does. Just not sure what F.dropout is doing in this case. (See the 3 questions listed above).

I did some digging that may be related to this question, please check this post: Multilingual ULMFiT

It was something about QRNN but I’m not so sure it is still required now.