[Unofficial, Virtual] SF/Bay Area Study Group

I am referring to this. Could you share the repo? @butchland

Ah ok,
I still need to clean up my data block exercise notebooks but @Dina shared a post above about data block examples here

I also found another great resource in this megathread here

HTH!

Hey All! Iā€™m in the East Bay and would like to join. Sent a note to @steef but havenā€™t seen an email. Do we still need an email to join?

Thanks,

David

@quantum,
Nope, just lookup the meeting notes here.

Thereā€™s a link to the zoom meeting id which happens every Monday 630PM and Thursdays 730PM (thereā€™s a beginners QA zoom at 630PM which the members also attend which is why we start an hour later).

HTH!

1 Like

David and others ā€“ Just added everyone that was in my direct message inbox. Sorry for delay ā€“ was a little busy with work last week :slight_smile:

For others wanting to be included, feel free to direct message me with your email and I can add you to calendar invites.

3 Likes

Hi all,
For my presentation in our study group meeting this Monday, April 27, I wrote up a long rambling :smiley: blog post (about 30+ min reading time) about my understanding of machine learning so far.
Iā€™d like to get feedback on it so I published it hopefully early enough for anyone who might care to read it.

Thanks in advance,
Butch

Hey guys, I was a maybe for this Thursday as I was going to try and build off of last weeks presentation but rather than make more technical progress I just turned my previous work into a blog. So here is my show and tell for Thursday (I wonā€™t need any time to speak but feel free to read and comment).

Hi all,

We have 2 post-class SF/Bay Area study group meetups. Timing is optimized for after regular work hours in the Bay Area, folks from any time zone are welcome.

• Weekly on Tuesdays 6-9PM PST Silent notebook work & 30 mins discussion starting May 26th.
  • Biweekly on Thursdays 7-8:30PM PST Demos of class related work starting May 21st.

You can find our meeting notes and topic schedule here. Prior to Tues discussion, post topics in this thread: Bay Area Study group thread.

For more info on the Tuesday group reach out to cohosts Molly Beavers (@marii) or Megan Oā€™Rorke (@gansme). For info on the Thursday demos reach out to host Steef Van Winkel (@steef).

8 Likes

Thank you so much @gansme for organizing this. looking forward to meeting you guys again @steef @marii

2 Likes

Iā€™ve updated the top post with these details, thank you for hosting this :tea:

1 Like

Is there a link for the Biweekly Thursday meetings that start today?

@steef Is the correct person to message for Thursday meetings, as we are not organizing those. I am currently attempting to contact him as well.

2 Likes

Yes, here is the Thurs meet link.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link Megan!

Iā€™ve just added a few more people to the calendar invite and the meeting notes. If more folks want the invite please DM me your email address.

1 Like

Hi all, reminder that fastai2 study group kicks off tonight at 6pm PST at this URL: meet.google.com/bhx-jwph-bnx . See you there!

P.S. Iā€™ve updated the wiki post on this thread with the link. If youā€™d like to be added to the calendar invites message me your email.

Possible Ch2 related topics we could cover:

1. What kind of tabular data is deep learning NOT particularly good at?
  2. How might an e-commerce company like Amazon tackle the downsides of deep learning based recommendation systems such as: recommending books by the same author, or items someone has already purchased?
  3. Map the steps of the Drivetrain approach to a Kaggle contest (for ex: Titanic, Amazon Rainforests, or your choice)
  4. Take a past work (or side) project youā€™ve done that had a data component and imagine a deep learning model was applied. What would be an example of ā€œdomain shiftā€ for that project?
  5. For a project youā€™re interested in applying deep learning to, a) Describe how the 3 stages of deployment processes (manual process, limited scope, gradual expansion) would work. b) Pretend youā€™ve completed that future project already, and it went really, really well? Describe whatā€™s happened as a result.
  6. Share the link to an image recognition model you created using data you curated that is deployed on the web.
  7. Share the link to a deep learning blog post you wrote.
1 Like

If you havenā€™t already, please fill out the anonymous survey for the Tuesday study groups: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsk_Uk-8gu1XlQ2DKVdQnqsR-AIcwppFwpBjBSUqm_Qi0eJA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Looking for both people who regularly attend, and those who have not had a chance to attend.

Hi all,

For our biweekly online presentation meetings (next one scheduled for Thursday, July 16 at 6pm) - @tyoc213 and I (@butchland) would like to present our work-in-progress project on getting fastai2 running on a TPU using Pytorch-XLA.

If you would like to join, the meeting details are here

Our project code is here

Best regards,
Butch

2 Likes

@butchland looking forward to it!

1 Like

Updating the meeting link
and the schedule to 7PM San Francisco time.

2 Likes