ULMFit in production, tokenizer slow (recreating Spacy tokenizer at each request)

Hi !

I’m trying to deploy a ULMFit model in production (on aws). The language is french, thus the tokenizer is french also:

tokenizer = TokenizerForProduction(lang='fr', n_cpus=5)
data_lm = (TextList.from_df(df=df, processor=[TokenizeProcessor(tokenizer=tokenizer), NumericalizeProcessor(max_vocab=600000)])
                 .split_by_rand_pct(valid_pct=0.2)
                 .label_for_lm()
                 .databunch(bs=32))
data_lm.show_batch()

I’ve notice that the performances are really bad when calling learner.predict:

@lru_cache(maxsize=2048)
def predict(sentence):
     _, _, predictions = learner.predict(sentence.lower())
     result = sorted(list(zip(predictions.tolist(), learner.data.classes)), key=lambda tup: tup[0], reverse=True)
     return result

And I’ve track it down to the code in https://github.com/fastai/fastai/blob/master/fastai/text/transform.py#L87 on line 112:

def _process_all_1(self, texts:Collection[str]) -> List[List[str]]:
    "Process a list of `texts` in one process."
    tok = self.tok_func(self.lang)
    if self.special_cases: tok.add_special_cases(self.special_cases)
    return [self.process_text(str(t), tok) for t in texts]

In this function, a Spacy tokenizer is recreated for each request. It’s quite time consuming, especially with french.

Just to try, I wrote my own Tokenizer class where the Spacy tokenizer is created only once and stored in the class instance. I got 10 times more request per second on a simple small aws instance. (The code is at the end of the message).

My question is: Is there any design reason I’m not seeing for re-creating the Spacy tokenizer at each call of learner.predict() ? Am I missing something ? learner.predict is not supposed to be used in production ?

Cheers,

Daniel

class TokenizerForProduction():

"Put together rules and a tokenizer function to tokenize text with multiprocessing."
def __init__(self, tok_func:Callable=SpacyTokenizer, lang:str='en', pre_rules:ListRules=None,
             post_rules:ListRules=None, special_cases:Collection[str]=None, n_cpus:int=None):
    self.tok_func,self.lang,self.special_cases = tok_func,lang,special_cases
    self.pre_rules  = ifnone(pre_rules,  defaults.text_pre_rules )
    self.post_rules = ifnone(post_rules, defaults.text_post_rules)
    self.special_cases = special_cases if special_cases is not None else defaults.text_spec_tok
    self.n_cpus = ifnone(n_cpus, defaults.cpus)
    self.tok = self.tok_func(self.lang)

def __repr__(self) -> str:
    res = f'Tokenizer {self.tok_func.__name__} in {self.lang} with the following rules:\n'
    for rule in self.pre_rules: res += f' - {rule.__name__}\n'
    for rule in self.post_rules: res += f' - {rule.__name__}\n'
    return res

def process_text(self, t:str, tok:BaseTokenizer) -> List[str]:
    "Process one text `t` with tokenizer `tok`."
    for rule in self.pre_rules: t = rule(t)
    toks = self.tok.tokenizer(t)
    for rule in self.post_rules: toks = rule(toks)
    return toks

def _process_all_1(self, texts:Collection[str]) -> List[List[str]]:
    "Process a list of `texts` in one process."
    if self.special_cases: self.tok.add_special_cases(self.special_cases)
    return [self.process_text(str(t), self.tok) for t in texts]

def process_all(self, texts:Collection[str]) -> List[List[str]]:
    "Process a list of `texts`."
    if self.n_cpus <= 1: return self._process_all_1(texts)
    with ProcessPoolExecutor(self.n_cpus) as e:
        return sum(e.map(self._process_all_1, partition_by_cores(texts, self.n_cpus)), [])
4 Likes

Yes, this is because it needs to be created on each subprocess when tokenizing lots of text before training. We know it’s slow for production so will fix this in v2.

2 Likes

thanks this was very usefull!!

do you know if it’s possible to change a tokenizer inside an exported learner?

(I’m not sure this is the answer you are looking for… Can you re-export your learner?)

For the production code to work, I did it the quick and dirty way for the time being:

Declare your tokenizer class and then, right after, inject it in main so that the exported model can be unpickeled:

import main
main.TokenizerForProduction = TokenizerForProduction

A better way should be to declare your tokenizer in a proper python package. Then, pickle should be able to unpickle it.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer (and the future fix) ! (and for the great work on the library too !!)

mm not sure I’m following, what I was asking is the following:

• I have and already trained model, with the default spacy tokenizer
  • I want to change that tokenizer inside the learner with your code, but without re creating the databunch and re training the model
    not sure if this is possible, I can’t find a reference to the tokenizer inside the learner object