Ubuntu problem

Hi.I wanted to download ubuntu for this course.I know that windows is okey, but I think that ubuntu would be better. I did dual boot, but when I want to choose ubuntu my laptop freeze. When I used nomodeset command it is working so I guess that Nvidia is the problem.Do You know how can I fix it? :slight_smile:

Hi @Bart,

This is the same problem I faced in my installation. Only difference was I was setting up a new Desktop. You are absolutely correct in identifying that NVIDIA graphics card is the culprit here. Not Ubuntu.

You can re-generate the grub file to get to the login screen without the freez issue. It is not exactly a freez issue, your kernel has crashed during the bootup. If you keep hitting “space bar” key during the laptop/desktop bootup, you will get to see that, some kernel panic has occoured. Any ways keeping those problems apart. If you re-genearte your grub file you can get around with this problem.

Edit the file “/etc/default/grub” add the line

vim /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 iommu=soft”

#sudo update-grub

YOu can find more details in my blog on this

1 Like

Hi.Thanks for response :slight_smile: I ll try to fix it in the evening,but I would like to know if my graphic card will work on ubunt after that solution?

ASFAIK, if it is NVIDIA and if it supports CUDA, then I’m 100% sure it will work. If you know your laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card, Try to google on the model of your laptop with available options of NVIDIA graphics card in it.