Transfer learning with different model shapes (error: size mismatch)

I am trying to do some transfer learning from categorical models to scalar models. The images are the same; I would just like to apply models trained with the categorical learner to scalar data. I think I am not correctly reshaping the model, though. Broadly, I think this is similar to doing transfer learning from a model trained on 2 classes to data having a different number of classes.

1. I created categorical data sets and their scalar equivalents. I then trained a resnet50 ConvLearner on the categorical data and saved that to disk.
  2. Next, I generated a ConvLearner with the same settings, but with scalar data. Loading my 2-category model weights into the ConvLearner that has been primed with scalar-shaped data leads to two errors:
size mismatch for 1.8.weight: copying a param of torch.Size([2, 512]) from checkpoint, where the shape is torch.Size([1, 512]) in current model.
size mismatch for 1.8.bias: copying a param of torch.Size([2]) from checkpoint, where the shape is torch.Size([1]) in current model.

That error makes sense, since I have a learner with data having 1 output that is trying to load weights from data with 2 outputs.

1. So, I instead create a ConvLearner with the original 2-category data, and after I have loaded the model weights, I then reshape the last layer, replace the categorical data with the scalar data, and the loss_func with MSE:
learn_scalar = ConvLearner(data, # Note: load with data that is categorical-compatible
                    models.resnet50, 
                    metrics=[exp_rmspe], 
                    ps=0.8,
                    callback_fns=ShowGraph)
learn_scalar.load(name='categorical.mod')

# Replace last layer to have 1 output instead of 2
removed = list(learn_scalar.model.children())[:-1]
learn_scalar.model = torch.nn.Sequential(*removed)
learn_scalar.model = torch.nn.Sequential(learn_scalar.model, torch.nn.Linear(512, 1))
learn_scalar.model.to('cuda')

# Replace the categorical data with the scalar data
learn_scalar.data = data_scalar

# Replace the loss function with MSELossFlat() instead of crossentropy
learn_scalar.loss_func = MSELossFlat()

However, now I get an error informing me that the input and target shapes do not match.

# Train the last layer
learn_scalar.fit_one_cycle(1, slice(3e-2, 2e-1), pct_start=0.05)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-138-02adda90e460> in <module>()
      1 # Train the last layer
----> 2 learn_scalar.fit_one_cycle(1, slice(3e-2, 2e-1), pct_start=0.05)

/app/fastai/fastai/train.py in fit_one_cycle(learn, cyc_len, max_lr, moms, div_factor, pct_start, wd, callbacks, **kwargs)
     17     callbacks.append(OneCycleScheduler(learn, max_lr, moms=moms, div_factor=div_factor,
     18                                         pct_start=pct_start, **kwargs))
---> 19     learn.fit(cyc_len, max_lr, wd=wd, callbacks=callbacks)
     21 def lr_find(learn:Learner, start_lr:Floats=1e-7, end_lr:Floats=10, num_it:int=100, **kwargs:Any):

/app/fastai/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(self, epochs, lr, wd, callbacks)
    135         callbacks = [cb(self) for cb in self.callback_fns] + listify(callbacks)
    136         fit(epochs, self.model, self.loss_func, opt=self.opt, data=self.data, metrics=self.metrics,
--> 137             callbacks=self.callbacks+callbacks)
    139     def create_opt(self, lr:Floats, wd:Floats=0.)->None:

/app/fastai/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
     87     except Exception as e:
     88         exception = e
---> 89         raise e
     90     finally: cb_handler.on_train_end(exception)

/app/fastai/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
     77             for xb,yb in progress_bar(data.train_dl, parent=pbar):
     78                 xb, yb = cb_handler.on_batch_begin(xb, yb)
---> 79                 loss = loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, opt, cb_handler)[0]
     80                 if cb_handler.on_batch_end(loss): break

/app/fastai/fastai/basic_train.py in loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, opt, cb_handler)
     16     if not is_listy(xb): xb = [xb]
     17     if not is_listy(yb): yb = [yb]
---> 18     out = model(*xb)
     19     out = cb_handler.on_loss_begin(out)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in __call__(self, *input, **kwargs)
    475             result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
    476         else:
--> 477             result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
    478         for hook in self._forward_hooks.values():
    479             hook_result = hook(self, input, result)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py in forward(self, input)
     90     def forward(self, input):
     91         for module in self._modules.values():
---> 92             input = module(input)
     93         return input

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in __call__(self, *input, **kwargs)
    475             result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
    476         else:
--> 477             result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
    478         for hook in self._forward_hooks.values():
    479             hook_result = hook(self, input, result)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py in forward(self, input)
     62     def forward(self, input):
---> 63         return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
     65     def extra_repr(self):

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/torch/nn/functional.py in linear(input, weight, bias)
   1138         return torch.addmm(bias, input, weight.t())
-> 1140     output = input.matmul(weight.t())
   1141     if bias is not None:
   1142         output += bias

RuntimeError: size mismatch, m1: [1048576 x 4], m2: [512 x 1] at /pytorch/aten/src/THC/generic/THCTensorMathBlas.cu:266

I am guessing there is an additional modification to the model that I need to make (or that my modification was way off). Any guidance?

I was able to get around the issue by creating one data set to load the model into and adding a 2->1 linear layer at the end:

loader_only = ConvLearner(data, # Note: load with data that is categorical-compatible
                    models.resnet50, 
                    metrics=[exp_rmspe], 
                    ps=0.8,
                    callback_fns=ShowGraph)
loader_only.load(name='categorical.mod')

learn_scalar2 = ConvLearner(data_scalar, # This is the scalar (1-category-equivalent) data
                    models.resnet50, 
                    metrics=[exp_rmspe], 
                    ps=0.8,
                    callback_fns=ShowGraph)

# Replace the model
linear_layer = torch.nn.Linear(2,1).to('cuda')
learn_scalar2.model = torch.nn.Sequential(loader_only.model, linear_layer)
1 Like

Hello @jamesp , thank you for your precious post. I am currently facing the same kind of problem by trying to load a model with 6 outputs and adding a final layer of 2 outputs to it but I am getting a AttributeError telling me that I can’t set the model attribute. Did you face this error too ?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @nicolivesey. Unfortunately that error doesn’t sound familiar to me, but if you post the relevant part of your code and the error I could take a look. (Python is not my native language, but perhaps others on the forums will jump in, too.)

My code is basically the same as yours apart the fact that I used ConvLearner.pretrained() with resnet34 architecture.

arch = resnet34
aug_tfms = [RandomRotate(30, p=0.75), AddPadding(pad=20, mode=cv2.BORDER_REPLICATE), RandomDihedral(), RandomFlip()]
load_data = ImageClassifierData.from_paths(PATH_1, bs=32, tfms=tfms_from_model(arch, sz, aug_tfms=aug_tfms, max_zoom=1.1))
load_learn = ConvLearner.pretrained(arch, load_data, precompute=False)
load_learn.load('my_model')

data = ImageClassifierData.from_paths(PATH_2, bs=32, tfms=tfms_from_model(arch, sz, aug_tfms=aug_tfms, max_zoom=1.1))
learn = ConvLearner.pretrained(arch, data, precompute=False)

final_layer = torch.nn.Linear(6, 2)
learn.model = torch.nn.Sequential(load_learn.model, final_layer)

I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "train.py", line 25, in <module>
    learn.model = torch.nn.Sequential(load_learn.model, final_layer)
AttributeError: can't set attribute

I guess the problem comes from initialization of learn which is made with ConvLearner.pretrained() in my case. I would like to try your way but it seems like you’re using fastai.models instead of fastai.model in my case which allow me to use resnet34. What is the difference between these two modules ?

If you try with a resnet50 or other models, does this work? I am wondering if you are trying to use a model that hasn’t been pre-modified by fastai.

If I use a pretrained model based on resnet34 architecture I think it won’t be possible to load it with resnet50. Thank you for your help anyway, I will post my future progress on this thread.

Yes, I’m only suggesting resnet50 as a temporary change to try to reduce the differences between my approach (which works) and yours (which isn’t working for reasons that are not yet clear to me). Alternatively, what happens if you print out your model? It would be useful to see it here. Maybe the last layers are not correctly updated with the FastAI custom head which does adaptive pooling, etc?

Did you figure the issue? I have the same problem. I have a restnet50 trained on some data with 3 class output. Now, I want to retrain it to new data, with 4 classes output. I am using exactly same code as yours and getting same attribute error.

1 Like