Tokenizer().proc_all_mp Question

I’m trying to add an enhancement to the Tokenizer that allows me to pass a “caps” flag that will tell the Tokenizer whether it should add the t_up, t_cap, and t_mx tokens or not. So my thought is that I can add the following to the proc_all_mp:

@staticmethod
    def proc_all_mp(ss, lang='en', caps=True):
        ncpus = num_cpus()//2
        with ProcessPoolExecutor(ncpus) as e:
            return sum(e.map(Tokenizer.proc_all, ss, [lang]*len(ss), caps), [])

I tried to just add caps to this, but it didn’t work like I was hoping it would. Has anybody else used the map function before that knows how to pass something like this? Basically I want to just pass my bool caps to the proc_all function so that whatever I feed into proc_all_mp will pass through and keep passing through all the way down to proc_text in text.py

Here’s the error I’m getting:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-14-9d41186996f0> in <module>()
----> 1 tok_lm, _ = get_texts(df_lm, 1)
      2 tok_lm_val, _ = get_texts(df_lm_val, 1)

<ipython-input-13-618696e3ed78> in get_texts(df, n_lbls, caps)
     16     texts = texts.apply(fixup).values.astype(str)
---> 18     tok = Tokenizer().proc_all_mp(partition_by_cores(texts), caps=False)
     19     return tok, list(labels)

~/Dropbox/Projects/AskDB/fastai/text.py in proc_all_mp(ss, lang, caps)
     78         ncpus = num_cpus()//2
     79         with ProcessPoolExecutor(ncpus) as e:
---> 80             return sum(e.map(Tokenizer.proc_all, ss, [lang]*len(ss), caps), [])

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py in map(self, fn, timeout, chunksize, *iterables)
    494         results = super().map(partial(_process_chunk, fn),
    495                               _get_chunks(*iterables, chunksize=chunksize),
--> 496                               timeout=timeout)
    497         return _chain_from_iterable_of_lists(results)

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py in map(self, fn, timeout, chunksize, *iterables)
    573             end_time = timeout + time.time()
--> 575         fs = [self.submit(fn, *args) for args in zip(*iterables)]
    577         # Yield must be hidden in closure so that the futures are submitted

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py in <listcomp>(.0)
    573             end_time = timeout + time.time()
--> 575         fs = [self.submit(fn, *args) for args in zip(*iterables)]
    577         # Yield must be hidden in closure so that the futures are submitted

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py in _get_chunks(chunksize, *iterables)
    135 def _get_chunks(*iterables, chunksize):
    136     """ Iterates over zip()ed iterables in chunks. """
--> 137     it = zip(*iterables)
    138     while True:
    139         chunk = tuple(itertools.islice(it, chunksize))

TypeError: zip argument #3 must support iteration

You could use a lambda or functools.partial, or create a list containing many copies of your param. I do think that maps inability to handle non-lists is kinda dumb…

1 Like

agreed lol it seems like a silly thing map doesn’t support natively, but like jeremy said, [caps]*len(ss) would be a simple fix to the error.

1 Like

I’m getting AttributeError: 'Tokenizer' object has no attribute 'proc_all_mp' when running the get_texts() function here . I noticed that the proc_all_mp was present in the Tokenizer() class in fastai/old. But don’t seem to find it in the current version? What should I do to make it work?

Edit: Went through source code. Realized that you have wrapped the proc_all_mp inside process_all. Tried that. It worked. Just a suggestion, but could you include all your imports in the notebook. That way beginners don’t have to struggle trying to find which file exactly a particular function is imported from?

3 Likes

@jeremy Can you please provide two things:

1. imports for the ipynb files so that we don’t have to search for the modules that particular functions belong.
  2. The script we need to run fastai on a new google codelab notebook. Its free unlike Paperspace and it’ll help people who are just getting started.