Time series/ sequential data study group

Thanks, I was mostly asking for a model implementation, I had created something similar to build my dataset:

def sliding_window(data, window=20, step=5):
    "Creates a new Tensor of windowed data every step"
    num_pieces = int((data.shape[1]-1-window)/step); num_pieces
    X = []
    y = []
    for j in range(num_pieces):
        X.append(data[:,step*j:step*j+window])
        y.append(data[-1,step*j+window+1])
    return torch.stack(X) , torch.stack(y) 

With this, I have a dataset that is

X.shape, y.shape
>>(torch.Size([70270, 3, 24]), torch.Size([70270]))

I was trying a naive Convnet, but it does not seems to work at all:

basic_conv = nn.Sequential(nn.Conv1d(3, 32, 3), 
                           nn.Conv1d(32, 64, kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1),
                           nn.Conv1d(64, 64, kernel_size=3, stride=1),
                           nn.Conv1d(64, 128, kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1),
                           nn.Conv1d(128, 128,kernel_size=3, stride=1),
                           AdaptiveConcatPool1d(),
                           Flatten(),
                           nn.Linear(128*2, 512),
                           nn.ReLU(),
                           nn.Linear(512,1)
                           )

Any recommendations?

Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The first thing you need to do is a test for random walk. To do so, you take previous value, store it in a separate column, and plot a correlation matrix.

Two scenarios:

Low correlation: means you can spin around the universe and it’s not going to get better. If the current value does not correlates with the previous (n) , it’s all random walk and there is not much you can do.

High correlation: Great, all you need is better features and a better model.

If correlation is somewhere in the middle, you may get around by converting the data into stationary by calculation the first and second derivatives. Plot a correlation matrix to see how that compares.

In terms of better features, you can use ta-lib to calculate a myriad of time series features widely used in finance.
Also,you need to categorify the date to capture trends.

However, the standard correlation matrix isn’t terrible useful for features assessment so you actually need to to a feature ranking in xgboost.

Hope that helps
Marvin

1 Like

I have a version that works “betterish” now:

class ResLayer(nn.Module):
    "Resnet style layer with `ni` inputs."
    def __init__(self, ni:int):
        super().__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Sequential(nn.Conv1d(ni, ni, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1),
                                   nn.BatchNorm1d(ni),
                                   nn.ReLU(inplace=True)
                                  )
    def forward(self, x): return x + self.conv1(x)

def basic_conv(out):
    return   nn.Sequential(nn.Conv1d(3, 32, 3), 
                           nn.Conv1d(32, 64, kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1),
                           ResLayer(64),
                           nn.Conv1d(64, 128, kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1),
                           ResLayer(128),
                           AdaptiveConcatPool1d(),
                           Flatten(),
                           *bn_drop_lin(128*2,256, p=0.5, actn=nn.ReLU(inplace=True)),
                           *bn_drop_lin(256,512, p=0.3, actn=nn.ReLU(inplace=True)),
                           nn.Linear(512,out)
                           )

I created a windowed dataset to predict the next N points, as I have a sample every 5 mins, predicting 6 points seems to be enough for the application I want (30 min).
I don’t get the correlation idea, do you want me to check if the dep_var has a trend?
What I really need is to forecast the future of the Power, as accurate as possible for the near future, using the past values of P and the past and current values of T and time data.

1 Like

Hi, have you tried with tsfresh yet? It automatically extracts features from your time series.

Here’s an example using tsfresh for forecasting: https://github.com/blue-yonder/tsfresh/blob/master/notebooks/timeseries_forecasting_google_stock.ipynb

Works with rolling window already. My experience with Tsfresh + XGboost has been good. Or you could just extract features and then use those on a deep model.

1 Like

It looks like this approach. Did anyone try Nested CV?

Time Series Nested Cross-Validation

1 Like

Who is interested in joining the second Time Series Learning Challange:
“Predict the S&P500?”

We have:
~ A draft of the challenge
~50 years of data
~ A simple notebook to load and split the data.
~ A fairly large sample notebook for data pre-processing

There are a lot of time series data out there: Sensor data, climate data, IoT data and you name it. However, predicting a time series correctly and reliably is often challenging in practice due to the inherent complexity with the stock market being notoriously difficult to predict. Can we do it? So let’s tackle it and crack the S&P prediction challenge together.

Some crazy ideas:

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post your question!

Special thanks to Oguiza for leading the first one and inspiring the formation of the second one.

5 Likes

Yes, it does.
There’s a key difference though: in the walk-forward validation, train, val and test samples are created in time order, while in nested cv the dataset is usually shuffled.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.
My recommendation if you want to start with the raw data, is to use either an LSTM, or a convnet (FCN, ResNet). You’ll be able to find these last 2 models in Keras here.
That should give you a good starting point for raw times.

@tcapelle

I understand that you want to predict future values based on past ones. There is a nice tutorial on getting started with time series with afocus on trends and correlation.

To do so, I suggest conducting a correlation test whether there is a statistical significance between past and present values to determine whether you can use present values to predict future values.

The correlation coefficient of two variables captures how linearly related they are. If there-there is no (linear) relation between present and future values, how on earth can you make any useful prediction of future values? How do you know there is one?

A random walk dataset would have only a low correlation coefficient between the last and current value. That is exactly when you know that past values have no impact whatsoever on future ones. It is just random crap and no model in the world can predict that. To do a proper test, you add the (n) previous value of the target value to the feature set.

n = 1
X[“last_value-”+str(n)] = y.shift(n)

When you take a closer look at the RF Ada Boost model discussed in the tsfresh example, you noticed in the feature importance ranking that “feature_last_value” contributes to 88.5% of the accuracy while all the 347 features generated by tsfresh only added an accumulative 1.5% to the prediction.

Three insights:

1. You need to know the correlation coefficient between the past n values and the current value to figure out whether you are barking up the wrong tree.

2. To capture seasonality, cycles, and trend in time-series data, you need to categorify the date field. Jeremy made that abundantly clear in the lessons and also stresses it in the data preparation section of the Rossmann example

3. When adding tsfresh generated features, expect a 1 - 2% impact, as they demonstrated in the Google example. Turned out, many generated features suffer from low importance so ideally, you want to add correlated external data.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi all, I have been reading up on this thread as I am currently doing research with time series data. I’m wondering how best to split my data? It’s set up as 6 different events in 6 separate csv files and the goal is to identify what event it is given one column. I’m debating on a rolling-event style but I’m lost in how as each one has a sepearate time value which id like to ignore completely. I had very poor results with just a standard 80/20 random split (which would make sense as we are time trending data?) How would you recommend I select my ‘walk’ given the nature? Just do a walk with my validation being combined with all the events?

Thanks!

Zach

Hi everyone,
I’m fairly new to time-series analysis/prediction but have been asked to work on time-related live oil and gas data nonetheless. As a part of this, one of my first challenge is to remove unwanted noise from multiple data streams where most of them are related to each other, such that if we see a fluctuation in multiple of them at a time, then the data is valid but suppose if only one parameter fluctuates that is to be removed (kind of like a trend line I guess).
I have been trying to find methods to do so by searching for noise reduction/despiking techniques for multivariate data but haven’t had much luck in finding something useful. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this problem?
I did look at techniques used in Human Activity Recognition models, but it wasn’t of much use.

While going through the forum, I saw @marcmuc has worked with energy related time-series previously, do you have any pointers sir?

P.S: Later I’ll have to use this cleaner version of data to make predictions for other datapoints and anomaly detection as well.

Hi Akshay, there are many possiblilies in this area and it and depends very much on what your raw data is like and what you would like to achieve with it. It is also important to see, whether the data is supposed to be monitored in some “online fashion” as it is received, or whether you are doing analysis “offline” on historical data. But the prepping process for timeseries often is the most time consuming :wink: Dealing with missing values, with false zero values, detecting and removing false peaks/outliers, denoising, detrending. Regarding peaks if you know the bounds of your possible values exactly sometimes it is as easy as using hard thresholds, most often that doesn’t work though.

This is not a “solution” for you, but some suggestions of what you can look at regarding denoising / peak stuff and you can find some code here that you can test on your problem. Your solution will probably involve multiple steps and could use a combination of features gathered from these:

This kaggle kernel from the recent VSB Power Line competition shows nicely how denoising using DWT (discrete wavelet transforms) is done and aso shows high pass filtering. Results look like this:

This kernel from the same competition compares denoising by mean and denoising by Fast Fourier Transforms (FFT). Results:

A helpful metric wrt peaks is the “z-score”, these algorithms help you detect peaks when you have timeseries that are changing over time and you cannot use hard thresholds for peak detection by using rolling windows. Check out this helpful SO answer with a good explanation and links to implementations. The result looks something like this:

So you can detect peaks and then use this information in the next step (in your case use this output and then verify that this peak is present in “all” parameters of the multivariate series (could be as simple as using logic (A & B & C) or if a percentage of all parameters is relevant then by adding it up and using a threshold (A+B+C >= 2).
Maybe doing this “manually” is not necessary though, multivariate models like FCN or Resnets also detect these things “on their own” depending on how much training data you can provide etc. So you have to experiment here.

8 Likes

Ah, and there is actually a python lib called “peakutils” for peak detection stuff, I have not used it much though so far…

https://peakutils.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

2 Likes

Thanks for the complete answer!
I have already played with Rossman back in V2 of the course and used this kind of tabular/xgbosst techniques before, but for this particular problem, the other TS are not that correlated to the dep_var, so using a regressor is not good enough. That’s why I was trying to understand and implement a more “financial” + regressor approach.
I am particularly interested in the GAN techniques just for how fun they sound. I have already done the “random Walk” test, and the last three values are super important, checked with XGboost and the feature importance puts them higher than everything else.

• I can make a regression of P as function of T and TS with “descent accuracy”, but not good enough.
  • I have and external model to forecast T and TS precisely for the next 24h
  • I want to use all this to predict a better P for the next 24 hours
  • I have 24 months of data, sampled every 5 min.
  • I may get 2 other TS, (wind and irradiance)

Just to give more insight, P is the power of a central heating system, TS is the temperature of water exiting the system, T is the ambient external temp.

I made some progress today:
I built a model that takes as input the past (24 hours) plus the forecast of the Temperatures and predicts the Power P for the next 6 hours.
I treated the past 24 hours with a ConvNet and the forecast of the explicative variables with a Tabular model. Then I mixed the feature map of the ConvNet with the output of the tabular model appending a classic resnet head.
The output is pretty good, probably my architecture is kinda of noobish, so suggestions are welcome!

My Dataset is a Double input dataset, just to concatenate both different size arrays (TimeSeries):

class DoubleDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, X, X2, y):
        self.X = X
        self.X2 = X2
        self.y = y

def __len__(self):
        return self.X.size(0)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        return (self.X[idx], self.X2[idx]), self.y[idx], 

and my model:

def basic_conv():
    return   nn.Sequential(nn.Conv1d(3, 64, kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1),
                           ResLayer(64),
                           ResLayer(64),
                           ResLayer(64),
                           AdaptiveConcatPool1d(),
                           Flatten(),
                           )
def tabular_model(inc:int, out_sz:int):
    layers = [Flatten()]
    layers += [nn.Linear(inc, 1000)]
    layers += bn_drop_lin(1000, 500, p=0.01, actn=nn.ReLU(inplace=True))
    layers += bn_drop_lin(500, out_sz, p=0.001, actn=None)
    return nn.Sequential(*layers)

class mix_model(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, inc:int, out:int):
        super().__init__()
        self.cnn = basic_conv()   
        self.tabular = tabular_model(inc, out)
        self.head = nn.Sequential(*bn_drop_lin(64*2+out,256, p=0.1, actn=nn.ReLU(inplace=True)),
                                  *bn_drop_lin(256, 256, p=0.01, actn=nn.ReLU(inplace=True)),
                                  nn.Linear(256,out)
                                 )
    def forward(self, x1, x2): 
        y = self.cnn(x1)
        y2 = self.tabular(x2)
        y3 = torch.cat([y,y2], dim=1)
        return self.head(y3)

cnn_diagram

5 Likes

Hi Marc, thank you for such a detailed and thorough reply. It is indeed intended to be monitored online. I will go through all the resources listed by you to understand and then apply them to some of the sample data available to me. The DWT one looks particularly helpful and should be fun to tinker around with. I’ll experiment on these methods throughout the week and will definitely share my results with you and everyone else. Cheers!

1 Like

Has anyone experience with Data augmentation for Time Series Forcasting?

I did a quick internet search today and was kinda dumbfounded to learn that this field seems to be rather under construction. Has anyone any actual experience beyond window sliding?

Edit: Found a nice toolkit from a 2017 paper:

Data-Augmentation-For-Wearable-Sensor-Data

Github: https://github.com/terryum/Data-Augmentation-For-Wearable-Sensor-Data/blob/master/Example_DataAugmentation_TimeseriesData.ipynb

https://sites.google.com/site/machinelearningforfun/basics/data-augmentation-for-time-series

4 Likes

This looks interesting. The two “augmentation” methods I have seen used most in kaggle competitions are

• augmenting by adding gaussian noise
  • dropping a percentage of the original measurements (kind of like input dropout)

And I just realized it might be an interesting method to randomly drop a certain percentage of timesteps and then close those gaps with potentially different forms of interpolation / missing data treatment. That way there should be changes that kind of stay consistent with the acutal series, but change it in small ways. Maybe combined with a little noise? Never tried that though…

The two recent competitions you might want to search the top 10 solutions for these kinds of things are the PLASTiCC and the VSB Power Lines ones, but there are older ones that also might have interesting stuff… Both were for classification, not forecasting though.

Does anyone have a Timeseries forecasting notebook using RNNs?
I am trying to reproduce the lesson 7 notebook (human-numbers) with Time series data but I am having a hard time.
https://machinelearningmastery.com/how-to-develop-lstm-models-for-time-series-forecasting/
I am trying to reproduce this trivial examples in pytorch/fastai and I am failing miserably…
Basically, make an RNN to predict a linear regression…
Any hints?

1 Like

@marcmuc

When reading the paper corresponding to the wearable data augmentation stuff, it struck me that the most effective methods were identical or very similar to what is used in image augmentation. Int he published benchmark, the authors were able to boost classification accuracy by up to 10%. I hope to test that out next week as to see how it works on my time series data.

Adding Gaussian noise is certainly a best practice worth measuring. I think input dropping is already done implicitly in fast.ai whenever you use regulation.

That said, I already have ~15 more experiments on my bucket list so I hope to get some results next week. In case something interesting pops up, I share an update.

What a shame that he earns a lot star on github and medium’s attention by fooling others in this way…

1 Like