The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically

(Richard Reis) #1

Hey everybody, I’m currently doing lesson 1 and get this error:
The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically

Every time I run this code:
df, y, nas = proc_df(df_raw, 'SalePrice')

Can’t find what’s wrong :confused:

Something wrong with proc_df

can you link to a public notebook showing the error? this sounds like a problem with the underlying system and doesn’t have anything to do with the code. like its running out of memory, hd space, or something.

(Richard Reis) #3

How do I link to a public notebook? Sorry I’m not too familiar with Jupyter Notebooks…

How do you access your notebook? What service is it running on? Is it your own computer?

(Richard Reis) #5

It’s running on Paperspace.

(Richard Reis) #6

This is the first time I have this issue and I think it has something to do with picking the custom Paperspace fast.ai solution.
Before, I’d set all the parameters manually (and I never had this problem). So when you said the issue “sounds like a problem with the underlying system” that’s the first thing that came to mind.
Thoughts? Or am I completely off track?

@richardreeze Hi I am also facing the similar issue. I am also using Paper space. Kindly, reply if you got the solution. Thanks.

As you are paying paperspace to provide the kernel, this is within their wheelhouse for support, assuming they offer any.

I face the same problem. The terminal says:
[E 03:41:36.015 NotebookApp] KernelRestarter: restart callback <bound method ZMQChannelsHandler.on_kernel_restarted of ZMQChannelsHandler(63a69f7e-79ea-4b34-bbb9-aa159461fe55)> failed Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/jupyter_client/restarter.py", line 86, in _fire_callbacks callback() File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/services/kernels/handlers.py", line 473, in on_kernel_restarted self._send_status_message('restarting') File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/services/kernels/handlers.py", line 469, in _send_status_message self.write_message(json.dumps(msg, default=date_default)) File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tornado/websocket.py", line 249, in write_message raise WebSocketClosedError() tornado.websocket.WebSocketClosedError

(Sameer) #10

I too am having this issue, haven’t yet figured out a solution. I had signed up for Paperspace for the Deep Learning course. Starting the Machine Learning course and stuck here on Lesson 1. Wondering if I need to upgrade?

(Sameer) #11

Ok, ao I ran the code without putting the df into feather and so far working. So I skipped the following lines
os.makedirs(‘tmp’, exist_ok=True)
df_raw.to_feather(‘tmp/bulldozers-raw’)

and
df_raw = pd.read_feather(‘tmp/bulldozers-raw’)

I am sure there are implications for doing it this way, which others who know more can weigh in on.